Balance stats update from 219 to 220

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Here are the latest of our internal stats. The top image is Build 219 after around 6,500 games. The bottom is Build 220 after about 1,000 games. This is showing the aggregate balance across all maps.

Comments

• WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2012
    This is dandy and all but unfortunately balance doesn't equate good gameplay, and as long as sentry guns, ARCs, cheap marine upgrades, poor skulk gameplay and (overall alien) scaling and the crappy onos, lerk and gorge remain unaddressed I don't think many people will change opinions about that.

That being said, at least we're past the days of ridiculous alien domination, hooray, hopefully you will address the above challenges now, then the game will in fact become amazing.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    The point of this post is to show balance not the current state of the game. The balance should be shifted towards aliens for the game itself to be more balanced, lack of good hitreg is what is keeping those charts at 50%, marines would be hella strong if all shots registered. At least performance is okay now.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2012
    My point was that they have been focussing far too much on balance already, when first they should be getting gameplay in order. Painting over crooked walls isn't going to make the walls any less crooked.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Nice illustration of intermediate value theorem:

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermediate_value_theorem" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermediate_value_theorem</a>
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The only way aliens are winning is when the team gets stacked. Go into any pub and watch the crowd of players standing in the Join Marines bay. I really hope you guys don't think this patch is okay. The skulk is in a really awful place right now.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    Can we get a breakdown by game length? Stats for say 0-5 min, 5-10 min, etc?
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1980847:date=Sep 20 2012, 11:59 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Sep 20 2012, 11:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980847"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is dandy and all but unfortunately balance doesn't equate good gameplay, and as long as sentry guns, ARCs, cheap marine upgrades, poor skulk gameplay and (overall alien) scaling and the crappy onos, lerk and gorge remain unaddressed I don't think many people will change opinions about that.

That being said, at least we're past the days of ridiculous alien domination, hooray, hopefully you will address the above challenges now, then the game will in fact become amazing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This. From the few games I've played, the sides feel balanced. However gameplay does not feel complete. Skulks small bite cone makes it a very poor class, sentries are pointless and strangely aliens feel more defensive than marines now. Suppose thats just as well, seeing how marine now seem to have the greatest offensive capability with exo and ARCs... but its not something I'm used to.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1980842:date=Sep 20 2012, 05:54 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Sep 20 2012, 05:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980842"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here are the latest of our internal stats. The top image is Build 219 after around 6,500 games. The bottom is Build 220 after about 1,000 games. This is showing the aggregate balance across all maps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I am going to say this because I care...

The sad thing is, that if you knew enough about statistics to be using it in this way you would know that the information you just posted is, statistically, completely worthless. It is incredibly distressing to see people developing a game I care about showing such blunt ignorance of a topic they are attempting to intellectually employ to further the game.

<b>TL:DR</b> - The sample size is <b>far too small</b> and there are too many variables you <b>cannot control</b>. This shows nothing of any value.
    edited September 2012
    I think it is so foolish to base gameplay decisions on balance statistics like this. These stats contain every game where there was a noob com, every game where 3 ppl went afk, every game where someone disconnected and then reconnected losing all their res, every game where a clan joined the server and stacked the one team, every game where half the team f4'ed. I also think you could argue that marines have a lower skill floor than aliens (i.e. it's easier to play badly) and therefore you would expect that aliens would be more likely to win in unorganised public games. If a bunch of new players just start playing the game you would expect the aliens to win, since they require less help from the commander as well as being easier to get to grips with, you just move towards the marines and bite them. Tracking skulks is a little bit trickier and therefore might take a while for new players to get used to.

This doesn't tell you anything about the game being balanced in terms of how likely it is for experienced players to win once they have mastered the mechanics, or how difficult it is for each player to kill each other (i.e. does skill scale equally between both teams, or is it easier for a certain team at higher levels?).

Yuuki has pointed out on numerous occasions that there are certain values of dmg etc. (or skulk bite distance) that would achieve 50/50 balance in statistics, but that 50/50 balance is essentially meaningless. Maybe if you give gorges a 1 hit kill melee then it will be 50/50 balanced, but is that a fun mechanic, is it enjoyable, is it skill based....etc?

There are so many flaws with using these stats to try and balance the game, making changes to the gameplay and then justifying them by showing that public games are closer to 50/50 is just mad.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited September 2012
    Argathor can you explain how they should use statistics to help address balance issues, because I don't understand it, and I don't understand either how UWE is approaching the issue.

The logic of perhaps breaking things to get to 50%, and then trying to fix them afterwards seems a bit tortuous.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    They have an internal testing team, surely it would make since that they are used to get opinions on balance? If it helps Charlie I applied to be part of that team. Are you guys full?
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited September 2012
    This happens every time Flayra posts W/L stats =P Pretty sure they don't think the game balance is perfect and they will continue to tweak a lot of stuff. We don't even know what those statistics are based off of, marines could win 90% of games before fades come out and lose 90% after fades come out etc. It's hard to take anything away from charts like those without more information.
  • darkfictiondarkfiction Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75677Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1980842:date=Sep 20 2012, 05:54 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Sep 20 2012, 05:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980842"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here are the latest of our internal stats. The top image is Build 219 after around 6,500 games. The bottom is Build 220 after about 1,000 games. This is showing the aggregate balance across all maps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ns2_rockdown huh? A little foreshadowing there? :P
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1980877:date=Sep 20 2012, 12:46 PM:name=NeoRussia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoRussia @ Sep 20 2012, 12:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980877"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They have an internal testing team, surely it would make since that they are used to get opinions on balance? If it helps Charlie I applied to be part of that team. Are you guys full?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Internal playtesting is a small sample of players and ability levels. Mass statistic gathering such as this is the only way to ensure balance for something as asymmetrical as NS2. Sure playtesters can have opinions, and usually ones slightly more informed than our own, but they are still of limited scope.

I agree again with Xarius, the game is balanced but at the price of fun. Giving one person some tweezers, another chop-sticks and telling them to dig a hole may be balanced - but its not fun. Currently needs some more work on the mechanics.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1980881:date=Sep 20 2012, 10:50 AM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Sep 20 2012, 10:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980881"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This happens every time Flayra posts W/L stats =P Pretty sure they don't think the game balance is perfect and they will continue to tweak a lot of stuff. We don't even know what those statistics are based off of, marines could win 90% of games before fades come out and lose 90% after fades come out etc. It's hard to take anything away from charts like those without more information.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes exactly. I'm not saying that the balance is done - that will take years - nor am I saying that this is statically valid (we still see movement after 1k games), I'm just showing some data.
    Fair enough, would be cool if we got to see some more in-depth statistics though.
  • DarksterDarkster Join Date: 2010-02-17 Member: 70612Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1980883:date=Sep 20 2012, 11:54 AM:name=darkfiction)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darkfiction @ Sep 20 2012, 11:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980883"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ns2_rockdown huh? A little foreshadowing there? :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's an older map from a while back. Mostly used because at the time it provided the best performance, but subpar gameplay. You can find a copy on this website somewhere.
    edited September 2012
    Charlie, why show data if you know it is meaningless?

It seems that your goal is actually to create a game that is statistically 50/50 balanced over all games rather than create something that is balanced from the perspective of gameplay. Balance should be about the skill it takes to perform a mechanic vs the skill it takes to counter it. The recent skulk nerf and then trying to justify it by posting these stats just highlights your incompetence. It's pretty clear to me why the game development for ns2 has been so rocky with you at the helm.

You have posted these types of stats before and celebrated achieving 50/50 on the twitter feed. Either you are lying in saying that you know these stats are meaningless or you are a fool for believing that they have any relevance. Sorry to be so blunt, but it just pissed me off to see a game with potential go down the drain because of incompetence and ignorance.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1980890:date=Sep 20 2012, 07:03 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Sep 20 2012, 07:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980890"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes exactly. I'm not saying that the balance is done - that will take years - nor am I saying that this is statically valid (we still see movement after 1k games), I'm just showing some data.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A thousand games seems enough, it gives you around 3% error (true winrate is between 47-53%), that's good enough. If it still change it's probably because people adapt to changes over time, that is the true winrate is changing in time.

The "I'm just showing some data" sounds suspiciously innocent ;) People don't just post "some data" on forums, I'm sure you have some thoughts about them.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1980899:date=Sep 20 2012, 09:13 PM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Sep 20 2012, 09:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980899"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Charlie, why show data if you know it is meaningless?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Except the stats are not meaningless, they're a good rough measure of how things are shaping up, even with the skulk nerf.
    Do you honestly believe the graph will jump to 80% marine wins by the time it reaches 5000 games?
  • RedDragonRedDragon Join Date: 2003-01-13 Member: 12240Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1980908:date=Sep 20 2012, 02:25 PM:name=Onii-chan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onii-chan @ Sep 20 2012, 02:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980908"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Except the stats are not meaningless, they're a good rough measure of how things are shaping up, even with the skulk nerf.
    Do you honestly believe the graph will jump to 80% marine wins by the time it reaches 5000 games?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Correlative data tells you nothing about cause. Statistically, its a nice graph, and it does give you information. But it does not tell you anything conclusive about anything at all.

It sounds to me like the Dev's know that, so that's good. I like seeing the data myself, but I also like the assurance that its not the only thing informing their balance decisions. ;-)
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    I think the important thing to draw from this data is not that the game is balanced (as others have said, this data doesn't really tell us that), but that both sides are winning. Let's not underestimate the importance of that. If you make a perfectly balanced game where aliens win most of the pubs, people aren't going to enjoy playing marines as much because they'll feel like they had to go on the losing team.

This graph doesn't say the game is balanced, and it doesn't say it isn't, but it does say that either team can win a pub, and that isn't something that should be underestimated.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    I will make a more detailed post when I have time, but here is the short version without any complexity.

You are interested in game balance (whether all the different gameplay mechanics come together in a balanced way). The statistics tell you that marines won 50% of their games and aliens won 50% of their games, but not why each time won those games. Not only this but they will never tell you anything about why.

The danger here in following the statistics as the main judge of balance is that you end up with vaguely equal chances of winning, with frustrating/boring/uninteresting mechanics (like the current Skulk). It would be far better to address gameplay mechanics in a logcal and psychological way first, then apply small changes to fine tune win/loss statistics after (no-one enjoys not feeling they have a fair chance of winning).

Not only that but there are so many variables you simply cannot control, that even with 50/50 ratios it might not be your game mechanics causing it, but the community instead. For example it has been true frequently that, newer players go marine, meaning the better players are more often on the alien team. By this logic aliens should have a higher win/loss rate and the current 50/50 rate would suggest you have unbalanced the game mechanics. This phenomenon will not last forever, developing a game around it is incredibly short sighted.
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    Be that as it may, if it were possible at all it would have been much more well recieved if you had buffed marines somehow rather than nerfing aliens and <b>making them far less fun to play.</b> Right now aliens are running (sluggishly) around feeling gimped. Even if it is somehow balanced right now anyone playing aliens feels like they're on the losing side of any match.

The objective should be to have the game be balanced while at the same time having it as fun as before to play. Try making it easier for the losing side of the win/loss ratio to play rather than making it harder for the winning side of the ratio to play. That way everyone is happy.
  • piratedavepiratedave Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148561Members
    can marines even win if they didnt have phase gates ?
    can aliens win without fades ?
    im sure the aliens wouldn't even notice if the lerk was removed from the game
    and dont get me started on bilebomb, its like the counter to EVERYTHING

doesn't seem very balanced to me. I could care less about 50:50 when the choices we are given are no brainer and most of the features seem like fluff
  • arnyboy87arnyboy87 Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155551Members
    Guys ffs the guy is not a tool he knows this s*** he was only trying to show you
    what the stats that are just now and listen I agree i don't like the change to skulks bite but , Beta is Beta !

and wilson ur a D*** learn to play nice or I'll sit ur ass on the naughty corner lol
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1980961:date=Sep 20 2012, 11:17 PM:name=piratedave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (piratedave @ Sep 20 2012, 11:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980961"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->can marines even win if they didnt have phase gates ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, shotgun rush.

<!--quoteo(post=1980961:date=Sep 20 2012, 11:17 PM:name=piratedave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (piratedave @ Sep 20 2012, 11:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980961"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->can aliens win without fades ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, skulk rush.
  • piratedavepiratedave Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148561Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1980974:date=Sep 20 2012, 01:35 PM:name=Onii-chan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onii-chan @ Sep 20 2012, 01:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980974"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, shotgun rush.

Yes, skulk rush.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ty for proving my point :)
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It seems like its been done pretty well. It also reflects in gameplay as I have seen a very mixed win/loss ratio for both teams
This discussion has been closed.