Mineshaft/docking pro marine map?

PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
Did anyone else notice some maps are perfect for some teams (and kinda unfair)?
I mean take a look at mineshaft/docking, you have the tech points so close, it's very easy for marines to expand a second command station for jetpacks and exos.
Of course, the second hive is also closer to the aliens but the entrys are so diffrent.
For example if you want attack as alien the south marine base, you have only 1 entry, the other entrys is defended by marines (base).
So its like impossible attack from more then one side.
the other parts of the maps, have more then one entry.
Okay docking has 2 entrys to the right, but mineshaft seems a bit imba.
I would like if you move the tech points a bit more away, or add at least more vents and entrys.

Comments

• TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Mineshaft they've said is going to be changed, so that the marine tech points are further apart.

Docking I think the only problem is how hard it is for aliens to hold tram departures. It also needs a vent to courtyard.
  • MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
    Wow unbelievable that i see someone saying mineshaft and docking is marine friendly . Sorry but that is jus lol not mire.

Both maps, especially mineahaft was and still the most alien friendly map although became a little bit better than previous version.
    And docking? it is the easiest map for aliens to block a corridor with clog and secure at least 4 res nodes safetly. And even the easiest map to powernode attack, Especially on Tram and Terminal. It is ridiculously alien friendly in my opinion when aliens block since the beginning the locker room and stability's entrances and then keep bilebombing all vunerable powernodes. There is no way to beat alien with teamplay at docking. I do not count aliens without teanplay as an example
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1978094:date=Sep 15 2012, 09:18 PM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Sep 15 2012, 09:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978094"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did anyone else notice some maps are perfect for some teams (and kinda unfair)?
    I mean take a look at mineshaft/docking, you have the tech points so close, it's very easy for marines to expand a second command station for jetpacks and exos.
    Of course, the second hive is also closer to the aliens but the entrys are so diffrent.
    For example if you want attack as alien the south marine base, you have only 1 entry, the other entrys is defended by marines (base).
    So its like impossible attack from more then one side.
    the other parts of the maps, have more then one entry.
    Okay docking has 2 entrys to the right, but mineshaft seems a bit imba.
    I would like if you move the tech points a bit more away, or add at least more vents and entrys.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes some maps have issues with the tech points being to close which removes any movement penalties for marines.
    Veil is a good example of how big maps should be and the distance between tech points especially for marines.
    With dynamic marine spawns the closeness of tech points is harder to balance (ns1 marine spawn was a design feature) and the penalty for marines not having phase tech is removed.
    Look at cafeteria and terminal...you can hold both without needing phase tech (though makes easier)...the two points are simply too close.

But really most of the maps are too small and there is not enough of a penalty for marines movement wise early on.
    Aliens should have movement strength as they focus on melee this was achieved in NS1 by big maps with long runs to res and hives, then mid - late game by the MC chamber allowing aliens to jump around from hive to hive to defend quickly.
    NS2 the maps are smaller, no MC, Sprint, carapace speed nerf the list just goes on...none of these help aliens move quicker or exploit any small benefit they are meant to get from their faster speed.
    Aliens suffer from lack of mobility in lifeforms...just ask any onos...or gorge to repsond to a hive under attack...most times they are last two the party after its all over.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The thing with Mineshaft is that to me it does not 'feel' like I am in a mine. I'd love to see more pits and variances in level, with lift shafts etc... just more impressive scenery but perhaps not directly associated with gameplay. I.e. something aliens can use to hide, but marines find no need to cross. Sort of like the pit near marines spawn (forgotten the location) with the bridge going across.

I also find central so confusing and the gangways make for frustrating gameplay imo.

I guess to put it into a few words would be to say that I just don't feel like the map absorbs me in the way docking does, in terms of the theme.
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    Whilst they might not win, they can definately turtle very easily.

Docking: I just flat out hate aliens expand options, generator is so easy for even 1 marine to kill. Especially when jetpacks are up. Tram departures you can sit at the other on of the corridor spam nades into the have all day long and be done with it. Stability monitoring res node is barely worth placing since it gets killed so easily.

Mineshaft: Its fine for aliens, you cant really hold the dual res in middle very easily early on but you can deny it which is important, and once you get a couple of fades up and throw a heal station in there you can hold it most of the time. The thing with that map is he who holds ref transfer wins most of the time.

The issue with both maps its maybe not specifically the map but with aliens lack of a decisive finisher. You cant just arc train outside their base and destroy all the defences
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    tbh, i find the fact that i can hardly see anything in mineshaft (even with powernode on) without an exo headlight to be more of a factor than how close techpoints are or layouts etc.

and dat onos bar...!!! Would love to have a light-switch for high-powered flood lights and actual speakers we can shoot out so that infernal racket stops playing all the time lol.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1978100:date=Sep 15 2012, 05:30 AM:name=MisterYoon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterYoon @ Sep 15 2012, 05:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978100"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow unbelievable that i see someone saying mineshaft and docking is marine friendly . Sorry but that is jus lol not mire.

Both maps, especially mineahaft was and still the most alien friendly map although became a little bit better than previous version.
    And docking? it is the easiest map for aliens to block a corridor with clog and secure at least 4 res nodes safetly. And even the easiest map to powernode attack, Especially on Tram and Terminal. It is ridiculously alien friendly in my opinion when aliens block since the beginning the locker room and stability's entrances and then keep bilebombing all vunerable powernodes. There is no way to beat alien with teamplay at docking. I do not count aliens without teanplay as an example<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

With the redesign to mineshaft, it is far less alien friendly. I agree it used to be a garenteed alien victory, as long as they had 1 gorge to hold cart tunnel, and focused teamplay to push out and deny double to marines. Now its far more dubious, with marines constantly able to push anywhere. Only marine teams that lose mineshaft are ones that play too defensively.

Docking is similar. Tram is very vulnerable, generator is a pain to defend especially when jetpacks appear, and locker rooms too close to marine spawns for aliens to ever feel secure in it. All 3 of these issues only appear if marines play aggressively. Defensive play gets them to lose, conceding too much res to aliens.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    I think a vent running from landing pad up to central access(?) hallway on docking would help to break the marine turtling.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Both Docking and Mineshaft are undergoing some major revisions. The new version of Mineshaft, which should be in the next patch, now has Drill Repair moved much further away from marine start, and has some really nice new areas added to it. Docking is also getting quite a few changes made to it, which will hopefully address some of the concerns in this thread.

--Cory