Is walljump just coded wrong?

TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
edited September 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Having played with walljump a bit trying to improve it over the past few days to varying success, I think I've just stumbled upon the possibility that it may simply be coded wrong.

I've always been under the impression that a walljump is executed by timing your jump from the wall to be as close as possible to some target time span after you contact the wall. A common complaint with walljump though is 'if you jump too early, you get nothing', which is that the quality of the jump as plotted against time in contact with the wall is 0, then jumps to 1 at the target time, then decays back down to 0 gradually. So if you're late, you get some fraction of an ideal walljump, but if you're at all early, you get nothing. Not intuitive to learn. Additionally, with the detailed geometry its hard to tell when the engine considers you to have actually contacted the wall and started this walljump timer.

I now see that these impressions are correct and are a result of how its coded, but comments in the code seem to imply a different behavior was intended.

Here's the essential bit:

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->function Skulk:GetJumpTiming()

local t = Shared.GetTime() - self.timeOfLastJumpLand
    local fraction = Clamp( t / Skulk.kJumpTimingDuration, 0, 1)

return 1 - fraction

end<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

The return value is multiplied by the force the walljump delivers, so as the results here vary from 0 to 1 you go from a terrible to perfect walljump. Skulk.kJumpTimingDuration is defined here:

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->// the duration of the bound (time from landing, to deepest point, to top)
Skulk.kJumpTimingDuration = 0.65<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

This would seem to imply that the 'bound' (the time while contacting the wall) starts at some time, then gets 'deeper' (like compressing a spring?), then returns to a top value over the course of .65 seconds.

So as we take the time difference between now (when we're attempting to walljump) and when we last contacted the wall, then divide by .65, we get a line that starts at 0 and increases to 1 at .65 seconds after touching the wall. This value is then subtracted from 1 to get our walljump quality.

But wait, that means a perfect walljump is when you jump exactly as you land (0/.65 is 0, 1-0 is 1, perfect jump), not when you jump very close to some ideal time after landing. And if you jump early, that means you're jumping in the air, so you don't get a walljump at all. But its impossible to give any sort of visual or auditory feedback that would be useful here, since you have to jump the instant you touch the wall, by the time you're giving the feedback and the player can see or hear it, its already too late. In order to get a perfect jump you have to guess at when the engine is going to decide when you attached to the wall.

The comment on kJumpTimingDuration seems to imply though that the quality should start at 0 when you contact the wall, increase to 1, and then decrease back to 0 over some duration, which makes a whole lot more sense.

Thoughts?

Comments

• male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    GOod work. I didn't understand it but this is why I LOVE that ns2 is open source. Anything to make walljump more consistent I approve of 100%
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    they probably didn't change the code comments from previous builds. earlier in the beta, the walljump behavior was as you described: you attached to the wall, and extra momentum was added to you based on a curve that peaked at 0.65s after you attached to the wall.

it was changed to its current form due to public feedback.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Yes, it wasn't very intuitive either to wait an arbitrary amount of time on the wall.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1977991:date=Sep 14 2012, 11:38 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Sep 14 2012, 11:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1977991"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it was changed to its current form due to public feedback.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Who was advocating for this change? It is arbitrary and extremely unintuitive.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1978048:date=Sep 15 2012, 09:41 AM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Sep 15 2012, 09:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978048"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Who was advocating for this change? It is arbitrary and extremely unintuitive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No-one, the wall-jumping mechanic is an atrocity.

It seems UWE are at a loss as to how to make skill based movement for aliens. I don't think we are going to see anything worth while until after 1.0 now though.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1978072:date=Sep 15 2012, 05:32 AM:name=Argathor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Argathor @ Sep 15 2012, 05:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978072"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No-one, the wall-jumping mechanic is an atrocity.

It seems UWE are at a loss as to how to make skill based movement for aliens. I don't think we are going to see anything worth while until after 1.0 now though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i gave it another pass this week and got rid of the timing. im not 100% sure if we will release that with next patch, that's why i don't want to write the exact details now. and before somebody posts this: no, it's not dumbed down. there is another mechanism in place to allow dynamic increase of speed
    edited September 2012
    If you didn't changed the mouse angle look at this, it helps a lot immo :

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=121022&st=120&p=1977798&#entry1977798" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...p;#entry1977798</a>
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1978099:date=Sep 15 2012, 01:29 PM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Sep 15 2012, 01:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978099"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i gave it another pass this week and got rid of the timing. im not 100% sure if we will release that with next patch, that's why i don't want to write the exact details now. and before somebody posts this: no, it's not dumbed down. there is another mechanism in place to allow dynamic increase of speed<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Looking forward to it.
  • neighbsneighbs Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159024Members
    I don't agree that adding depth to every movement mechanic is a step in the right direction to say, attract more players for NS2. This game is already, on the outside, an immense game full of strategy and one more niche mechanic to learn could be a tipping point for some players. What the effect people are looking for to mimic NS1 wall jump would be more of an exploit than a consistent game mechanic. Maybe you're onto something though and code could be an issue for we aren't getting a response if not timed perfect or slightly late, I see that. WC3 avatar?
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2012
    If the devs have Left 4 Dead 1, please take a look and feel at the wall-jumping for the hunter in Left 4 Dead 1. The timing there was awesome and worked quite perfectly IMO.

I'm a newer NS2 player, and as someone mentioned above, wall-jumping seems "broken" for me. It seems to not work most of the time, and I try it quite frequently lately.

I think the biggest issue for me is to know (again same feedback as above) when the game considers me to have "touched the wall." It's pretty hard to tell at the moment, so maybe the timing should be more forgiving?...
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1978099:date=Sep 15 2012, 11:29 AM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Sep 15 2012, 11:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978099"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i gave it another pass this week and got rid of the timing. im not 100% sure if we will release that with next patch, that's why i don't want to write the exact details now. and before somebody posts this: no, it's not dumbed down. there is another mechanism in place to allow dynamic increase of speed<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It is great to hear you are so dedicated to trying to make wall-jumping work.

My criticisms were not intended to be personal. I consider making a skill based movement system for aliens that is intuitive, easy to learn and difficult to master to be a near impossible task.

I feel a little bit better knowing you are so dedicated to making it work though, thank you!
  • RowenRowen Join Date: 2012-05-04 Member: 151545Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1978216:date=Sep 15 2012, 05:58 PM:name=HeatSurge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HeatSurge @ Sep 15 2012, 05:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978216"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the biggest issue for me is to know (again same feedback as above) when the game considers me to have "touched the wall." It's pretty hard to tell at the moment, so maybe the timing should be more forgiving?...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Add a +1 from me. I would look much more favorably on a mechanic that relies on hitting some button after landing on a surface if there's any clue to warn me when I've landed on said surface. Right now is extremely difficult or downright impossible to tell.
    Making early jump bonus possible solve this problem, currently if you press space too early you do jump (the game looks if you are close enough to a wall) but doesn't give you any speed bonus.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Is the timing affected by latency?