EzWallJump

TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
edited September 2012 in Modding
I've created a mod to fix what I perceive as the problems with walljump. Primarily that it is too binary: in the right geometry with great skill, its useful, but in any other situation its useless. Secondarily that its very difficult to learn since you have no feedback as to when the engine decided you were attached to the wall and started the walljump timer. You do get some feedback later in terms of the audio cue for an OK or great walljump, but you don't really know <i>why</i> you got rewarded because there's actually 2 times you have to contend with: "when did I touch the wall?", and "did I wait the right amount after touching to jump?"

So, changes made:

1. Removed timing - Anytime you jump off a wall, you get the full walljump boost. Whether you jumped the moment you touched or have been wallrunning for a minute and then jumped off, you get the full boost.

2. Automatic jumps - Hold down the Jump key and you'll automatically jump the moment you touch the ground or the wall.

Net effect is that by holding down jump you auto walljump at full boost and auto bunnyhop to keep your speed on the ground.

Now I'm sure there will be people saying "no no no, you removed all the skill from it!" But having run around and used it for a while there is still plenty of skill involved: skill in <u>how you use it</u> not <u>can you do it at all</u>. Plotting a path so that you're airborne instead of on the ground when you arrive at the wall, zig-zagging down a hallway or hugging one wall, plotting a good path around odd geometry, etc. There is definitely still a skill curve to ascend, but its a curve instead of a brick wall.

<a href="https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c6vtgdf9sji1u2y/b7bTmdPsJm" target="_blank">Link to files</a>

Extract to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\ then add "-game ezwalljump" to your launch commandline.

Comments

• male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Ofcourse you should upload the files. That entire paragraph was a massive tease!
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1977296:date=Sep 14 2012, 10:13 AM:name=Typhon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Typhon @ Sep 14 2012, 10:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1977296"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now I'm sure there will be people saying "no no no, you removed all the skill from it!" But having run around and used it for a while there is still plenty of skill involved: skill in <u>how you use it</u> not <u>can you do it at all</u>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly.

I can't personally try it but i'd love others to leave feedback. It would be great if it works well to be picked up by UWE in the official game.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Sounds neat. Host it up.
  • nadylinadyli Join Date: 2007-11-01 Member: 62791Members, Squad Five Blue
    Now do the same to bhop and lets see where that goes. :P
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Cool, I'll try that when I got home.

You could even give a bonus at each jump, ground or wall. Why would it work only on wall, right?
    Someone could, but not me. :P I don't like bhop. Walljump at least makes a modicum of thematic sense, bhop doesn't.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited September 2012
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\ns2
    not
    C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\

unless I'm wrong and parameters make you need to read off of a new directory

I've tried it out and it works really well. Now all we need is to remove all movement restriction from marines, up base speed and remove sprint.

that and for someone to make skulk bhop or if possible replace the physics with GSRC physics completely. With this mod it's possible to see a lot of problems with the physics, you can see that it doesn't handle surface detection really well to tell that you are on a wall, and that storing up momentum thing is still there so you can stop completely and as soon as you are in the air again it gives you maximum speed instantaneously. Another weird thing is if your speed goes above the cap as in by leap or something it stops you from walljumping, so leap is not good for speed? Interesting.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Is this pure clientside and work on every server?

This more like an "jump-script" as is removes timing and doing things automatic. This should be serverside only, so everyone has the same change.
    edited September 2012
    It's not purely client side since it changes the algorithm that determines the "quality" of the walljump. The autojump portion by itself could be purely clientside, though not in the way I currently have it written I think.

Actually the whole thing could be clientside if instead of autojumping the moment you touch the wall and changing the walljump timing algorithm, I could leave the algorithm as is and auto jump exactly .65 seconds after touching the wall (a perfectly timed walljump). Hmmmmmm....

Thinks for the feedback neorussia. Yeah, it's got some bugs still, I just hacked it together. Notably you can face into a wall, hold jump to do a ton of really fast wall jumps, then spin around and rocket off the wall. I had not tested the interaction with leap, will take a look at that when I have a chance.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Very cool mod, tried and it is a lot smoother than current one.

Problem however is that there is no near linear skill to performance gain, meaning it does not scale with all skill levels. Speed is too easy to gain and hold, mouse movement for gaining and holding is necessery. Defining certain angle when jumping from ground/wall and as closer as you get to that angle better the gain.

Aircontrol needs to be adjusted to make it more smoother as well.

Also the mod is client sided meaning you can use it on any server, but it does not work the way it is intended.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Well, with the remove of the timing you remove the skill-element of the jump. Now every jump give you full speed. This is more an hack and why should it run "smoother"?
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited September 2012
    artificial timing is really a not a good thing to scale skill by. They just need to make movement more directional, tighten up air control, and make it so that wall collision is not so damn inconsistent.
    <!--quoteo(post=1977666:date=Sep 14 2012, 12:00 PM:name=dePARA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dePARA @ Sep 14 2012, 12:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1977666"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, with the remove of the timing you remove the skill-element of the jump. Now every jump give you full speed. This is more an hack and why should it run "smoother"?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Have you tried it? It's still quite possible to get bad or non-optimal jumps due to timing and angles, but they're much more understandable as to why, giving a smoother skill curve.
    It's fun to play with it but I wouldn't put something like it in game, it's a bit too silly :)
    I think I'll make a mod that simply plays a sound when you contact the wall. That can be totally clientside, and would give players a reliable reference as to when they should jump instead of having to guess at when the engine decided they touched the wall.

Would that go over better with those that think this is too easy?
    I think there is already a sound for landing, but it's not very loud and sounds like the jump one.

I also tried some other stuff here: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=121022&view=findpost&p=1977798" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=1977798</a>