power packs

WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">why were they considered flawed/unfixable?</div>it was said that power packs were a flawed concept and therefore removed, i'd like to talk about this a little bit.

i liked power packs, it allowed a comm to reinforce an area that had a vulnerable power node. it allowed marines to translate a res advantage into some measure of security against base rushes (more so than even sentries), and allowed ninja tactics. i didn't really see a problem with them except perhaps their function not being readily apparent to newcomers - which seems like a solvable issue. it also didn't negate an alien base rush totally as the power packs were weak, taking down the power would still disable most of the buildings, etc etc.

anyone know why the power packs were removed?

Comments

• KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    edited September 2012
    My guess is that they simply don't want Marines operating in rooms that do not have power.

Of course, if this was true, then personally I think some mechanics should be shifted around a bit (Remove Cysts and let Infestation grow out from Hives, have the Hive room and every adjacent room start with power off while sticking power nodes in the remaining rooms or just have light damage cysts.) so that Aliens can't operate in rooms that do have power (While also giving them some kind of Khaam to Unit interaction).
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1977227:date=Sep 14 2012, 07:31 AM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Sep 14 2012, 07:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1977227"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->anyone know why the power packs were removed?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To force this power 'feature' on us that no one wants.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Because the Sentry Battery needed a model, is what I heard some random poster say. Put as much stock in that as you will.
  • shad3rshad3r Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73273Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1977263:date=Sep 14 2012, 08:57 AM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Sep 14 2012, 08:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1977263"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because the Sentry Battery needed a model, is what I heard some random poster say. Put as much stock in that as you will.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That appears to be what Flayra is saying at 6:20 in the <a href="http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2/b/331846110" target="_blank">Q&A video</a>.

He does also mention that there were issues with the power packs.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    He said it's been broken for a while
    ANd you know
    He's been right.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why was it broken?

Are Ninja-Phase-Gates not a legitimate tactic or to op?
    Have power-packs been known to create turtle-fests on pubs, because the com build one pack for every IP?

I would answer both with "No". In my experience they weren't ever a problem.
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It was really rare to see power packs, be the game public or competitive. I think I only routinely used them for a cargo lock-down phase gate in Veil, back when it didn't have the boxes in front of the window. I guess the packs might add to the length of turtle games somewhat, but in my opinion the removal of power packs was unwarranted. They were a nice option to have.
  • SkugganSkuggan Join Date: 2010-03-19 Member: 71017Members
    No powerpacks was not a problem. I dont get why they were removed.
    It seems like they needed a model for the sentry battery and had to cut the powerpack.
    This sentry battery will probably not work out it just seems wierd.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Power Packs were fine. I think it was pretty stupid to remove them (a long side with making turrets useless)
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1977555:date=Sep 14 2012, 06:05 AM:name=Omega_K2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Omega_K2 @ Sep 14 2012, 06:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1977555"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Power Packs were fine. I think it was pretty stupid to remove them (a long side with making turrets useless)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pretty much. Ninja phase gates were some of the most interesting and fun situations you find yourself in. Power packs also allows for backup planning with powerpacks on IPs and beacons, making aliens have to target call.
  • supsusupsu Join Date: 2012-04-24 Member: 151023Members, Squad Five Blue
    Remove the powernodes already, thanks.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    Remove sentry batteries and turn power packs into 1 minute batteries for buildings.
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    If they didn't want power packs to be used for ninja gates, or to power structures in un-powered areas, then the answer is simple: only allow them to be dropped in areas that are pre-powered with nodes. That way you can use them to back up structures in the event the power node goes down.

You could still use them for ninja phase gates, but only if you activate the power node first, which would be a major tip off to the aliens.

Personally I don't think the system was broken, allowed for some really creative marine comebacks (with very rare success), and the new sentry battery system is godawful.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    To be frank, I'd love to see powerpacks returned to their former status and just have sentries removed for v1.0. I think its going to take more time then we have to get them balanced correctly and I've actually had more fun games since they've been nerfed into uselessness.