New ServerConfig.json file and defining the location of these server files

2»

Comments

• eLboteLbot Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159229Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1981603:date=Sep 21 2012, 03:11 PM:name=MurphyIdiot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MurphyIdiot @ Sep 21 2012, 03:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1981603"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, another option for 221 if you don't want to setup your server to use the Steam Workshop is to simply disable consistency checking (at least for *.lua). Auto download should be ready for 221 though :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can somebody illuminate what Murphy is talking about here? I know we have the mod variables enabled in the config files - but as of yet steamcmd doesn't communicate with workshop - so how exactly are Ops setting up their servers to maintain updated maps/mods automatically?

Or are we all still supposed to install the full fledged steam client on the server, run the client, and harvest the files and maps that are updated to place them in their respective config paths?
  • woodywoody SoCal Woody56 Join Date: 2004-02-14 Member: 26541Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1977354:date=Sep 13 2012, 10:30 PM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Sep 13 2012, 10:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1977354"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->YAY FINALLY, I'm so happy for this feature. I'm been waiting for this for sooooooooo looooooong <3 <3 <3 <3

Great job guys :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Dito !
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hi, is the adminPath/-adminpath config variable still used?

Also, can I verify that the variable name used in server.xml for config_path is config_path?
    <!--quoteo(post=1982325:date=Sep 24 2012, 02:03 AM:name=Whosat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Whosat @ Sep 24 2012, 02:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982325"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi, is the adminPath/-adminpath config variable still used?

Also, can I verify that the variable name used in server.xml for config_path is config_path?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can't give you definitive answer on -adminpath, my guess would be that it is still functional if used alone (not with -config_path).

As for config_path, yes indeeed the exec flag is -config_path and for the xml it is config_path .

You may find this useful: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Dedicated_Server#Basic_Configuration" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/inde...c_Configuration</a>
  • WhosatWhosat Singapore Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58301Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've tried that and it didn't work - neither did configPath.

Seems like there isn't a variable for -config_path in server.xml as of B220!

I've updated the wiki with this info.
    <!--quoteo(post=1982432:date=Sep 24 2012, 08:45 AM:name=Whosat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Whosat @ Sep 24 2012, 08:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982432"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've tried that and it didn't work - neither did configPath.

Seems like there isn't a variable for -config_path in server.xml as of B220!

I've updated the wiki with this info.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yikes, did having it as an exec flag fix your issue?
  • MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1982019:date=Sep 23 2012, 05:37 AM:name=eLbot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eLbot @ Sep 23 2012, 05:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982019"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can somebody illuminate what Murphy is talking about here? I know we have the mod variables enabled in the config files - but as of yet steamcmd doesn't communicate with workshop - so how exactly are Ops setting up their servers to maintain updated maps/mods automatically?

Or are we all still supposed to install the full fledged steam client on the server, run the client, and harvest the files and maps that are updated to place them in their respective config paths?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can! We are going to support full mods in 221 using Steam Workshop. Not just maps. I think the setup for dedicated servers is going to remain mostly the same. This is a limitations in the Workshop (dedicated servers need to have a Steam Client running in order to use the Workshop). I think Valve has plans to remove this limitation eventually.

More details/documentation will be available soon (we are still working on it).

<!--quoteo(post=1982325:date=Sep 24 2012, 03:03 AM:name=Whosat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Whosat @ Sep 24 2012, 03:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982325"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi, is the adminPath/-adminpath config variable still used?

Also, can I verify that the variable name used in server.xml for config_path is config_path?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

adminPath/-adminpath are no longer used. Just use config_path on the command line. We are going to be removing the server.xml file eventually as well. The server will be configured on the command line (for things like initial map, player counts, password, etc) and also with the new ServerConfig.json file.
    <!--quoteo(post=1982594:date=Sep 24 2012, 02:37 PM:name=MurphyIdiot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MurphyIdiot @ Sep 24 2012, 02:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982594"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can! We are going to support full mods in 221 using Steam Workshop. Not just maps. I think the setup for dedicated servers is going to remain mostly the same. This is a limitations in the Workshop (dedicated servers need to have a Steam Client running in order to use the Workshop). I think Valve has plans to remove this limitation eventually.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fantastic, keep up the impressive work guys :) Everybody has started to feel that near-release buzz of exctiment, especially with your last twitter post!
  • CamronCamron Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76356Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1980913:date=Sep 20 2012, 02:31 PM:name=MurphyIdiot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MurphyIdiot @ Sep 20 2012, 02:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980913"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->221 will also have consistency checking (a form of anti-cheat).

A file called ConsistencyConfig.json will automatically be generated in the server config directory when you first start the server. It can be edited to change what type of files are checked on the client.

A client that has modified files will automatically be disconnected from the server.

You can disable consistency checking on your server by editing ConsistencyConfig.json from this:
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->[ "*.lua", "*.fx", "*.screenfx", "*.surface_shader", "*.fxh", "*.render_setup", "*.shader_template" ]<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

To this:
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->[  ]<!--c2--></div><!--ec2--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Is VAC enabled yet? If not, this feature is mostly useless. It will only keep out the really noob programmer hackers. I can easily hook this call and pass an "ALL OK" back to the server.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    So when a client uses a mod they will be kicked out of a server?

I really hope there's a solution for this. Because if i understand correctly in current beta build 221 the consistenty will kick out eveyone who has modify their files. (in this cause all who has mod installed).

So how can consistenty see different from a hacker modified to a legit modification?
    <!--quoteo(post=1982594:date=Sep 25 2012, 06:37 AM:name=MurphyIdiot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MurphyIdiot @ Sep 25 2012, 06:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982594"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->adminPath/-adminpath are no longer used. Just use config_path on the command line. We are going to be removing the server.xml file eventually as well. The server will be configured on the command line (for things like initial map, player counts, password, etc) and also with the new ServerConfig.json file.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for the clarification! I've updated the wiki with appropriate info. (Y)
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Im sure many people starting to whine that they cant use theyr customstuff after 221 release. As this is a new feature, im sure we are going to find solutions for the most popular mods over the time after release.
    As this going to take some time, please be patient. Meanwhile try to play vanilla ns2
    <!--quoteo(post=1982875:date=Sep 25 2012, 07:30 AM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Sep 25 2012, 07:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982875"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So when a client uses a mod they will be kicked out of a server?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, unless the op digs around and decides to support x,y,z mod and edit the .json file to allow mis-matching of those files that mods x,y,z need to change to work.

<!--quoteo(post=1982875:date=Sep 25 2012, 07:30 AM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Sep 25 2012, 07:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1982875"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So how can consistenty see different from a hacker modified to a legit modification?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It simply can't.

It's only looking to see if: a) Is there a rule for this file? if not, end
    else if so: b) Check file on server matches EXACTLY file on client, if change: kick,
    else, allow connection.

Any change to the file results in a kick - conchecks aren't sophisticated enough to look inside the file and decide that this range of versions of the file is ok (in other words, these modifications are ok) but others are not, and therefore kick. Its simply, match or mismatch? if mismatch is there a rule? if so, kick.
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1980913:date=Sep 20 2012, 08:31 PM:name=MurphyIdiot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MurphyIdiot @ Sep 20 2012, 08:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980913"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can disable consistency checking on your server by editing ConsistencyConfig.json from this:
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->[ "*.lua", "*.fx", "*.screenfx", "*.surface_shader", "*.fxh", "*.render_setup", "*.shader_template" ]<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

To this:
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->[  ]<!--c2--></div><!--ec2--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When disabling it like that, it still drops clients with an "Invalid Data" Error, with NS2Stats v0.29 enabled.
    I got that as well even specifying the exact lua files that ns2stats modifies.

Invalid Data.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    That likely means you didn't have the syntax and/or whitespace in the json file perfectly formatted.
    <div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain' style='height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto'>{
    "check": [ "game_setup.xml", "*.lua", "*.fx", "*.screenfx", "*.surface_shader", "*.fxh", "*.render_setup", "*.shader_template" ]
    "ignore": [
    "lua/BuildingMixin.lua",
    "lua/ConstructMixin.lua",
    "lua/DamageMixin.lua",
    "lua/GhostStructureMixin.lua",
    "lua/NetworkMessages.lua",
    "lua/NS2Gamerules.lua",
    "lua/NS2Utility.lua",
    "lua/PickupableMixin.lua",
    "lua/RecycleMixin.lua",
    "lua/ResearchMixin.lua",
    "lua/ResourceTower_Server.lua",
    "lua/CommAbilities/CommanderAbility.lua"
    ]
    }</div>
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1984656:date=Sep 29 2012, 09:20 AM:name=Whosat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Whosat @ Sep 29 2012, 09:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984656"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain' style='height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto'>{
    "check": [ "game_setup.xml", "*.lua", "*.fx", "*.screenfx", "*.surface_shader", "*.fxh", "*.render_setup", "*.shader_template" ]
    "ignore": [
    "lua/BuildingMixin.lua",
    "lua/ConstructMixin.lua",
    "lua/DamageMixin.lua",
    "lua/GhostStructureMixin.lua",
    "lua/NetworkMessages.lua",
    "lua/NS2Gamerules.lua",
    "lua/NS2Utility.lua",
    "lua/PickupableMixin.lua",
    "lua/RecycleMixin.lua",
    "lua/ResearchMixin.lua",
    "lua/ResourceTower_Server.lua",
    "lua/CommAbilities/CommanderAbility.lua"
    ]
    }</div><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Putting lua files into the ignore list is not a good idea. Because of the nature of code, a lua file can include another lua file, which means by putting any lua file into the ignore list you have effectively whitelisted everything. So you may as well just remove everything from the "check" list.

If you are getting an invalid data error, that's not caused by mods or consistency checking. Invalid data basically means there is an error in the format of the packet being sent between in the client and server. The packets have changed formats a bit in this version, so it's possible there is a bug there. Can you post some more information on how to reproduce this problem?

Edit: I just re-read your posts... is the invalid data error in the log, or is that displayed in the main menu when you try to connect? If it's in the server log, then that is probably some sort of JSON syntax error and not what I described above.
  • woodywoody SoCal Woody56 Join Date: 2004-02-14 Member: 26541Members
    <a href="http://jsoneditoronline.org/" target="_blank">http://jsoneditoronline.org/</a>
    The Invalid Data error appears on the client's Menu after getting disconnected upon connecting to a server.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Install ns2stats v0.29
    2. Use Consistency JSON Config as quoted above
    3. Run server with game -ns2stats
    4. Connect to server ( with no mods installed ).

Yup! The ns2stats developers are trying to work the mod into the Steam Workshop. Here's hoping they'll be successful!
  • MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    edited October 2012
    There is a new auto concede feature for the server in 222.

The round will automatically end if the teams are too unbalanced.

By default, the server will end the round if the teams are too unbalanced. This
    can be configured in "ServerConfig.json".

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->{
        "settings":
        {

"end_round_on_team_unbalance": 0.4

},
        "tags": [ ]
    }<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

The number defines how unbalanced the teams are before the round is ended. With
    0.4, the round will end when the teams are 40% unbalanced. For example, if the
    Marines have 16 players and the Aliens have 9, the round will end.

To disable this feature, either remove the line from the file or set the value to 0.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1986303:date=Oct 2 2012, 10:34 PM:name=MurphyIdiot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MurphyIdiot @ Oct 2 2012, 10:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986303"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is a new auto concede feature for the server in 222.

The round will automatically end if the teams are too unbalanced.

By default, the server will end the round if the teams are too unbalanced. This
    can be configured in "ServerConfig.json".

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->{
        "settings":
        {

"end_round_on_team_unbalance": 0.4

},
        "tags": [ ]
    }<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

The number defines how unbalanced the teams are before the round is ended. With
    0.4, the round will end when the teams are 40% unbalanced. For example, if the
    Marines have 16 players and the Aliens have 9, the round will end.

To disable this feature, either remove the line from the file or set the value to 0.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

THx for the information, another great feature for the servers :D

Btw, How far away for the auto-kick function for all the afk? :D
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1986303:date=Oct 3 2012, 07:34 AM:name=MurphyIdiot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MurphyIdiot @ Oct 3 2012, 07:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986303"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There is a new auto concede feature for the server in 222...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Again my instant reaction is about communicating this to the players. A configurable countdown timer for a message like "Auto-concede in 30 seconds" would be nice.
    <!--quoteo(post=1986344:date=Oct 2 2012, 04:33 PM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Oct 2 2012, 04:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986344"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Btw, How far away for the auto-kick function for all the afk? :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not planned for 1.0.

<!--quoteo(post=1986408:date=Oct 2 2012, 07:14 PM:name=Khyron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Khyron @ Oct 2 2012, 07:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986408"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Again my instant reaction is about communicating this to the players. A configurable countdown timer for a message like "Auto-concede in 30 seconds" would be nice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, I would like to have some kind of warning but there just isn't time to make that interface right now unfortunately. In practice, I don't expect this message to somehow resurrect the game and people will adapt to this feature after a week or 2.

I can add an interface post 1.0 if it is needed.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1986647:date=Oct 4 2012, 04:34 AM:name=MurphyIdiot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MurphyIdiot @ Oct 4 2012, 04:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, I would like to have some kind of warning but there just isn't time to make that interface right now unfortunately.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ok, fair enough.
    <!--quoteo(post=1986647:date=Oct 4 2012, 04:34 AM:name=MurphyIdiot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MurphyIdiot @ Oct 4 2012, 04:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1986647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In practice, I don't expect this message to somehow resurrect the game and people will adapt to this feature after a week or 2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yep, should be fine for ragequits. The main reason for a warning would be for unexpected or unwanted triggering, maybe due to a couple of badly timed client crashes or network disruptions. It's not exactly uncommon on the servers I play on for a number of clients to disconnect at the same time and for those people to immediately reconnect. It would be annoying to have a long and otherwise well-balanced game end suddenly and without warning.

The auto-balance feature should in theory dovetail well with auto concede. I have a nagging feeling that making one trigger off percentage and the other triggering off a fixed quantity is asking for trouble. Would it be possible for auto-concede to kick in before auto-balance? Maybe in a 1v2 game with your default settings. Don't laugh, they actually happen all the time while we're waiting for servers to fill up.
    The auto-concede only triggers once there are over 6 people playing. So your 1vs2 games should be safe ;)
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can config_path be a relative path, pointing to a folder within the NS2 directory? I'm trying to configure it while only having FTP access to that directory, and I don't have an absolute path. I've tried -config_path "/config" and things along that line but haven't been able to get it to work.
    edited November 2012
    Try leaving the leading "/" out?

If I'm not wrong relative paths are relative to your server.exe or where you started the server.exe.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The relative path will work if it is relative to the working directory.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yep I'm dumb, that did it.