Hive Defense

measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">The heart of the balance issue</div>
Harvester's at present aren't very convenient. In NS1 there was the option to camp a harvester (although it wasn't called that, then) by climbing within the 'sack' of the structure. Plus, no 'infestation' was required. And it was the responsibility of players (not comm) to secure them.
See how easy the 'marines' have it?

One question is; If the 'infestation' is like a nerve-blanket, then why doesn't a harvester begin acquiring resources the moment is placed as opposed to only when it is fully grown?

Comments

• RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    Thats one of the drawbacks of having them build themselves. The problem is that;

1) They take forever to build (45 seconds)
    2) They're dependant on a cyst chain which, on most maps, is highly vulnerable early on
    3) They are paper thin, 1 marine can often just axe a harvester down before anyone can get close

The taking a while to build I dont mind so much. The cyst chain is something that needs fundamentally changing (my idea being once cysts are fully grown and matured they stealth). Then we get to the big one, harvesters should have more HP than extractors in my view, it takes a skulk forever to bite through an extractor (which can be recycled at any point) but 1 marine can axe a harvester in no time, just seems wrong to me...
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    fyi the time to build them was reduced by almost half if i remember.
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1974956:date=Sep 10 2012, 01:04 PM:name=AuroN2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AuroN2 @ Sep 10 2012, 01:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974956"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->fyi the time to build them was reduced by almost half if i remember.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

From 60 seconds to 45
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1974944:date=Sep 10 2012, 09:51 PM:name=RobustPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobustPenguin @ Sep 10 2012, 09:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974944"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thats one of the drawbacks of having them build themselves. The problem is that;

1) They take forever to build (45 seconds)
    2) They're dependant on a cyst chain which, on most maps, is highly vulnerable early on
    3) They are paper thin, 1 marine can often just axe a harvester down before anyone can get close

The taking a while to build I dont mind so much. The cyst chain is something that needs fundamentally changing (my idea being once cysts are fully grown and matured they stealth). Then we get to the big one, harvesters should have more HP than extractors in my view, it takes a skulk forever to bite through an extractor (which can be recycled at any point) but 1 marine can axe a harvester in no time, just seems wrong to me...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Axeing harvesters needs to be addressed.
    Harvesters should have some self-defence.