Fade blink and Lerk spore energy cost too cheap?

MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
Especially with adrenaline, I feel that fades can blink and lerks can spore basically endlessly. Compare it to skulks and gorges with adrenaline - they both get a very good boost for leaping and bilebombing, but they can't keep spamming them.

Particular reason why this bothers me is that fighting against fades or being a fade, fade can basically enter invulnerability-mode, by simply making rapid blinks this way and that, staying as high as possible, not even trying to kill marines.

Lerks aren't much of a problem due to being poopy otherwise, but I did have a few lols when I noticed I could keep the entire marine base full of spore endlessly with adren.

Comments

• PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1973645:date=Sep 7 2012, 09:26 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Sep 7 2012, 09:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973645"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Especially with adrenaline, I feel that fades can blink and lerks can spore basically endlessly. Compare it to skulks and gorges with adrenaline - they both get a very good boost for leaping and bilebombing, but they can't keep spamming them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    as gorge i can keep bilebomb shooting all time with adrenaline.
    you never saw me in veil in the vent at sub right? ^^
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    I don't like adrenaline. So many abilities seem to be balanced in cost around the assumption that you have it; making fade blink, spores and leap far too costly to use any other way. Then with adrenaline, you can spam your merry way at tham.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1973698:date=Sep 7 2012, 05:18 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Sep 7 2012, 05:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973698"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't like adrenaline. So many abilities seem to be balanced in cost around the assumption that you have it; making fade blink, spores and leap far too costly to use any other way. Then with adrenaline, you can spam your merry way at tham.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Spores maybe, but blink is perfectly usable without adren (and even more usable with celerity) imo.
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    Adrenalin should have the same limitations that regen does
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1973720:date=Sep 7 2012, 05:46 PM:name=mushookees)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mushookees @ Sep 7 2012, 05:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973720"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Adrenalin should have the same limitations that regen does<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Instead, lets just remove upgrades from the game.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1973741:date=Sep 7 2012, 05:25 PM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ Sep 7 2012, 05:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973741"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Instead, lets just remove upgrades from the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, I think silence still has some use to skulks. They need to fix that.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1973742:date=Sep 7 2012, 06:32 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Sep 7 2012, 06:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973742"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, I think silence still has some use to skulks. They need to fix that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lets make them glow.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1973720:date=Sep 7 2012, 04:46 PM:name=mushookees)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mushookees @ Sep 7 2012, 04:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973720"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Adrenalin should have the same limitations that regen does<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You don't need energy when out of combat, so that would be useless. Energy regenerates fast anyway when not in use. Your change would make adrenaline useless to everyone except gorges building hives.

I've always suggested a damage received-to-energy mechanic for adrenaline, but everyone says I'm nuts. Obviously if this was done, numbers would need adjusting on abilities energy usage. It would also give a reason to build shifts again, besides for the egg spawning.
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1973773:date=Sep 7 2012, 11:24 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Sep 7 2012, 11:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973773"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You don't need energy when out of combat, so that would be useless. Energy regenerates fast anyway when not in use. Your change would make adrenaline useless to everyone except gorges building hives.

I've always suggested a damage received-to-energy mechanic for adrenaline, but everyone says I'm nuts. Obviously if this was done, numbers would need adjusting on abilities energy usage. It would also give a reason to build shifts again, besides for the egg spawning.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Adrenalin is a flat upgrade to energy regen, and its proven to be impossible to balance right. How do you balance a non adren fade vs an adren fade ? Either the non adren fade is going to constantly run into energy problems all the time or the adren fade is hardly ever going to run out of energy.

Ns1 did a much better job with the energy system, i mean you actually used the energy recharge ability from movement chambers to get back in the fight quicker, how often do we use the shift to recharge energy in ns2 ?

but you are probably right, my change will be useless with the current energy system.
  • KeldornKeldorn Join Date: 2012-05-05 Member: 151587Members
    edited September 2012
    Weapon and armor upgrades are flat upgrades for marines, so are jetpacks.

If you want to balance adrenaline and carapace, make them scalable so they don't have to suck in order to reach "balance" at 1 time window in a match.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1973879:date=Sep 8 2012, 08:03 AM:name=mushookees)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mushookees @ Sep 8 2012, 08:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973879"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Either the non adren fade is going to constantly run into energy problems all the time or the adren fade is hardly ever going to run out of energy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow, what? No, just no. It's easy as hell to balance - just decrease adren effectiveness for fades. That's it. No more forever-blink. Same for lerk and no more forever spore.
  • KeldornKeldorn Join Date: 2012-05-05 Member: 151587Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1973982:date=Sep 8 2012, 02:17 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Sep 8 2012, 02:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973982"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow, what? No, just no. It's easy as hell to balance - just decrease adren effectiveness for fades. That's it. No more forever-blink. Same for lerk and no more forever spore.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think lerks need anymore nerfs... spores moved from a free from start to an upgrade and its the last thing a commander usually researches. Flamethrowers counter lerks/spores. I understand your point about the spamming, but I think it will only get nerfed if it receives buffs as well in other areas.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree with cobra commander. Adrenaline is a nobrainer upgrade. You can bilebomb, spore and blink near indefinitely. This upgrade is just to omnipotent. But the worst part is, that it renders the main purpose of the flame-thrower useless. The "energy-draining" effect of the flamer is completely cancelled out by adrenaline. Not to mention that shifts also lost the usefulness of their passive ability.

I really like adren, because it is so powerful and just makes your life as alien so much easier. But it simply cancels other aspects of the game. Heck! You don't even need celerity as skulk when leap is researched. Leaping with adrenaline gives you the same speed boost, PLUS you won't get slowed down when you got hit.

Adrenaline can be balanced. But it has to be done for every life form one by one. And it shouldn't cancel the usefulness of the flame thrower or other upgrades like celerity.
  • AudioAudio Join Date: 2012-09-09 Member: 158740Members
    I think spore is fine, but fade blink is pretty stupid right now.

Why is blink a travel skill, fades should not be equipping adrenaline to get across the map. isn't that what celerity is for? They should be equipping it for combat effectiveness, Which is simply not the case right now. the cost of blink needs to go up 3 or 4 times. It's a no brainer to take adrenaline when you play fade, i want to make good decisions which make me a better player, I don't want to pick fade/adrenaline because it's easily the superior choice by far.

one fade can tie up squad of marines for minutes by simply blinking around. Ideally they should blink in kill and blink out, and it should be a cerebral execution. Right now they are just doing what ever they please. You simply can never punish a fade, he blinks in kills, blinks to someone else kills, blinks in circles for ###### and giggles, blinks out, you chase him down and he's gone. He comes back 30 seconds later, and just ties up a squad of marines for ages. I've played so many games when the commander is like move out pressure this pressure that, and we have 5 or so marines tide up to 1 or 2 fades.

I'm glad you made this thread. The other fade thread was too whiny with little direction, and i really think you hit the nail on the head bringing up fade energy.

Spore isn't that strong, I usually spore up a marine base for a few minutes and i'll be lucky to get one kill. I Really don't think the reward is worth the risk right now.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think they are fine without adrenaline, But with they seem to very good. I think this is to do with adrenaline and not the acttualy initial energy cost with out adrenaline