How About A Timer...

LuckLuck Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8787Members
<div class="IPBDescription">...after the 3rd hive is captured?</div> First post... To all DEVs and playtesters, let me say this is a fantastic game, thanks for the hard work. The fact that we nitpick the details is only because the overall game is so good.

Really, what of the game is left after the aliens grab their 3rd hive? Everyone has seen the situation on Eclipse where the aliens have every resource point, towers up the wazoo just outside of siege range, and the marines are turreted to hell and gone inside their spawn. The game is over, everyone knows it's over, but it JUST WON'T END.

When Bile Bomb and Xenocide are fixed, this situation won't be such an annoying stalemate, but it does nothing to add to the endgame. The problem as I see it is the mistaken belief among marines staying in the base and fighting from your doors accomplishes anything. Thus, my suggestion...

<b> Have a timer that begins counting when the aliens get their 3rd hive, and when it runs out the aliens win. If the marines sally and kill a hive, the timer stops and resets. </b>

Viola, no more tedious boring endgame, and it even gives the marines a kick in the only direction that has a chance of winning them the match.

Comments

• InexorableInexorable Join Date: 2002-09-28 Member: 1360Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Luck+Nov 18 2002, 01:23 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Luck @ Nov 18 2002, 01:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->When Bile Bomb and Xenocide are fixed, this situation won't be such an annoying stalemate, but it does nothing to add to the endgame. The problem as I see it is the mistaken belief among marines staying in the base and fighting from your doors accomplishes anything. Thus, my suggestion...

<b> Have a timer that begins counting when the aliens get their 3rd hive, and when it runs out the aliens win. If the marines sally and kill a hive, the timer stops and resets. </b>.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And I think the name of this timer should be "Bile Bomb and Xenocide Fix".
  • BronskiBronski Join Date: 2002-10-29 Member: 1702Members
    If they put a timer in then it should be after the third hive is destroyed or the marines infantry portals and command stations are destroyed.

I have played a few games as marines where we fought for a good fifteen minutes in our spawn area and almost took one of the hives. Problem was that a third of the team was bitching for weapons while the rest of us tried to take the hive.

I think having a timer after the third hive is taken is a bad idea. It wouldn't had anything to the game, i feel it would take away from the game.
  • BridgerBridger Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1761Members
    i think you guys need to read coils story about the old guy with the runny nose...
  • colt45colt45 Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7344Members
    If you had read earlier posts on Frontiersman strategy, you would have seen that under the given circumstances there have been times when marines rally and go on to win the game. What you are seeing is just the inexperienced players having a rough time and they dont need anymore pressure right now. In regards to the timers idea, the only useful application to me would be for after "killing" all the hives. Then if the surviving aliens do not build another in a certain time, they die off. The reason for this is that a skulk can go and hide just about anywhere and drag on the game and **obscenity** everyone off. I did it just yesterday when i found a really deep hole that the marines couldnt even get to. However i went to ready room after 5 minutes because i didnt want everyone to leave the server. There are some people who dont care and can ruin the game by even hiding and even leaving their computer on and go do something else.
  • AaronAaron vroom vroom der party startah Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7020Members
    What we need is just a timer for when all hives are captured or all spawns and command posts are destroyed, and all that is left of the other team is a few players hiding. However, it should be a pretty decent timeout value, and maybe only kick in when there is only 1 or 2 players left (or a certain percentage). That would prevent jerks from screwing up the game by hiding in places that are innaccessible by the other team.

However, like I said this should be fairly large, and perhaps only kick in at a certain point. In one game, for example, I was on the aliens side, and we lost all our hives, but we actually managed to get a new hive started (and then a *second one*) from scratch (we were even outnumbered...the marines should have been ashamed of themselves). So it would be unfair to cheat a team of a "comeback".
  • BronskiBronski Join Date: 2002-10-29 Member: 1702Members
    Well, another idea that could help would be to have a voting system. Say all but two aliens are dead with no hives. The two left alive are just being idiots and hiding. The dead should be able to vote to kill the two or to let them go on. Same should go for the marines.
  • othellothell Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4183Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    no no no no no no no

It is the other team's job to rid the map of their opponents. Not the clock's.

If the marines take out all hives and are looking for just 1 or 2 aliens then they should have jetpacks already and their commander should be scanning to find the aliens.

If the aliens take out the marine spawns and are looking for just 1 or 2 marines... well, marines are not hard to find usually. The aliens can all go lerk or skulk and go searching.

There is no reason to rely on the clock to finish your job. If you dont like waiting then find them faster, it isnt THAT difficult.
  • GreyPawsGreyPaws Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8659Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--othell+Nov 18 2002, 01:43 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (othell @ Nov 18 2002, 01:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->no no no no no no no

It is the other team's job to rid the map of their opponents. Not the clock's.

If the marines take out all hives and are looking for just 1 or 2 aliens then they should have jetpacks already and their commander should be scanning to find the aliens.

If the aliens take out the marine spawns and are looking for just 1 or 2 marines... well, marines are not hard to find usually. The aliens can all go lerk or skulk and go searching.

There is no reason to rely on the clock to finish your job. If you dont like waiting then find them faster, it isnt THAT difficult.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Agreed, no clock, what if the last guy is a gorg and he has 75 res and can put a hive up while the marines are circle jerking???
  • GreyPawsGreyPaws Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8659Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Luck+Nov 18 2002, 11:23 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Luck @ Nov 18 2002, 11:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->First post... To all DEVs and playtesters, let me say this is a fantastic game, thanks for the hard work. The fact that we nitpick the details is only because the overall game is so good.

Really, what of the game is left after the aliens grab their 3rd hive? Everyone has seen the situation on Eclipse where the aliens have every resource point, towers up the wazoo just outside of siege range, and the marines are turreted to hell and gone inside their spawn. The game is over, everyone knows it's over, but it JUST WON'T END.

When Bile Bomb and Xenocide are fixed, this situation won't be such an annoying stalemate, but it does nothing to add to the endgame. The problem as I see it is the mistaken belief among marines staying in the base and fighting from your doors accomplishes anything. Thus, my suggestion...

<b> Have a timer that begins counting when the aliens get their 3rd hive, and when it runs out the aliens win. If the marines sally and kill a hive, the timer stops and resets. </b>

Viola, no more tedious boring endgame, and it even gives the marines a kick in the only direction that has a chance of winning them the match.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ONOS (primal Scream) Fade (blink) Lerk (umbra/spores)

its a team mod man, if everyone works together turrets dont do crap