Roo's No Time For Muppets (NTFM) Server

RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">Does anyone remember it, and does anyone want it back?</div>Dear all,

I've been away for a long, long time and have, after several years AWOL, eventually resurfaced after my wife went through a 9-month gestation. The result is an alien more terrifying than any NS creation, though surprisingly reminiscent thereof. This messy, noisy, animal experience got me thinking: wouldn't it be fun to play NS again?

The answer is clearly 'yes.'

I missed the boat on NS2, so will have to wait until October for this - this is fine, I'm not asking for beta access as you clearly have pleeenty of people at the moment! Also, as I understand it, there is currently no Linux dedicated server, which is how I would intend to run NTFM.

So here's the point of the post. Does anyone remember (fondly or otherwise, I'm genuinely interested!) the old NS1 Roo's No Time For Muppets server? I ran it from my married accommodation in college when I was doing my PhD - JANET was great for this.

Things have moved on now, and it's probably not unreasonable to set up a dedicated gaming server on a decent domestic network connection nowadays. I'm very tempted to start up again, though it would probably be after a delay (and after October's release!) while I dust off my NS hat and get back into the unknown world again (see what I did, there?).

Would any of you old farts who *do* remember the NTFM days want them back?

I look forward to playing the game when it's released, and trust you're all working hard to make it even more awesome than NS1 was!

Roo

Comments

• GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I certainly remember playing on your servers, even if it was some years ago :)
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    Hell yeah. Get that bad boy backup; more nostalgia trips the better.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    I was there! :D

Plus, yep, I expect that server to be up now please. ;)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Sweet, well it won't be up until after release, as I don't have the game to play yet (have my steam pre-order, along with most of the other guys who ran the server with me).
    Watch this space :)
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Muppets give me the willies.
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    edited September 2012
    Yes! I used to play on your server all the time under the alias Moomin.

I'm trying to remember the names of the other regulars... EagleC, phoe, RabidWeasel, Robin, ThinG, Braz3n, Papa Lazarus. Who else? It's all coming back!
  • PhoeBubbaPhoeBubba Join Date: 2012-09-23 Member: 160475Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mooooomiiiiin! Hello again! Still looking for the others, I wonder if they drifted away from NS2 or just don't use the forums.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I'd love to see the return of NTFM - was a great place to play!
  • bunglebungle Join Date: 2012-04-21 Member: 150870Members
    wow i remember NTFM from years back!
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Yep, you should definitely get it up and running again!
  • ownosownos Join Date: 2010-11-21 Member: 75124Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1974460:date=Sep 9 2012, 03:38 PM:name=1dominator1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1dominator1 @ Sep 9 2012, 03:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974460"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Muppets give me the willies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Didn't know this was a common thing, I'm creeped out by them as well! Bloody things look like soulless wash cloths!
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Do you know what would be even more nostalgic and awesome?

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->...running xDragon's mod<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • Papa LazarouPapa Lazarou Join Date: 2012-09-27 Member: 160825Members
    Hello everyone!

Man, I haven't signed up to an internet forum in over two years, but this thread had me smiling from ear to ear! Nice to see some names I remember already appearing too.

I had to sign up just to say Roob, its gotta happen. The nostalgia value alone even thinking about the fun times and the great people who used to get together on your server would make it worthwhile, the game, as awesome as it looks, will be a wonderful added bonus.

I can't remember the handle I used to use for NS now, but I'm guessing it was Papa Lazarou, as Moomin seems to remember me at least /waves at Moomin (I remember you too buddy!) It was either that, Beef Curtains (I've matured, honestly! But so's the beef...) or Smithy. Anyways, hi to everyone who remembers me, I sincerely hope that the old community reappears for the new game.

I'm guessing from your opening post that you're still in touch with some of the old regulars, is old Sargie Apone still knocking about? Hatchet and, argh the names are in there somewhere, the age is getting the better of me!

Congratulations on the new addition to the family Roob, and I look forward to seeing you all in game real soon, and keep out of my comm chair!

Papa "Beef Curtains" Lazarou
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I used to play on NTFM occasionally, and I remember Moomin & Sgt Apone! Would be good to see it back up, although, now I'm in Holland instead of England...
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    TBH I can't remember if I played on this particular server, but as far as I'm concerned, ANY server owner who loved the original game and shows support for NS2 is great in my book. It provides a great sense of community among the old regulars, which will spread to newcomers.
  • eagleceaglec Join Date: 2002-11-25 Member: 9948Members, Constellation
    Hi Roo,

I've not got the time for NS2 in the foreseeable but I wish you all the best in re-kindling the old spirit.

Eag.
  • -Drake--Drake- -dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ- Join Date: 2003-04-02 Member: 15125Members
    My favorite server alongside the Jolt UK ones. =D