cyst damaging powernodes

wanniewannie Join Date: 2012-07-28 Member: 154405Members
A quick idea, what about levels automatically start with powernodes active. But when cyst coves the powernode, it receives damage.
This would make alien hives dark (after a minute or 2) and maintain the alien control areas better.

The damage would have to be minimal not to disrupt the gameplay mechanics.

Comments

• RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    would be nice but I'd far rather have cysts just cloak once their fully grown and matured
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited September 2012
    I would rather see the opposite. Powered rooms damage cysts (EMF disruption or whatever technobabble you want to explain it with...nanites). Aliens would actually care about powernodes beyond just the CC rooms, and for marines this makes powernodes interesting ..and not just pain in the ass liability.

However, I agree that aliens should have the ability cut the power from their starting rooms, and not rely on the awkward game mechanic of waiting for marines to first build the powernode. To help with this, there should a be a distinction between a powernode and the initial power socket you see on the wall.

By default all rooms have their lights on and with power sockets that have no power nodes built over them. Aliens can destroy the socket, which turns off the power. Sockets are low health and easy to destroy, so aliens won't have to be munching forever to turn off power on their side of the map during the beginning of the game (like we saw in earlier builds when all rooms started with powernodes). So powernodes in a sense fortify the socket for marines. Building a powernode on a undamaged socket is fast, exactly like how it is currently when marines build the powernode initially. Building a powernode on a destroyed socket is slow, exactly how it is currently when marines rebuild a destroyed powernode. Destroying a powernode also destroys the socket, so powernodes would act exactly like they currently do. Again, this is all to allow aliens from the start to turn off the power in their starting rooms, but still maintain how powernodes currently work throughout the rest of the game.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->would be nice but I'd far rather have cysts just cloak once their fully grown and matured<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats an interesting idea, even if it is totally a starcraft ripoff : P
  • OscarTheCouchOscarTheCouch Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1972890:date=Sep 6 2012, 12:57 PM:name=RobustPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobustPenguin @ Sep 6 2012, 12:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972890"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->would be nice but I'd far rather have cysts just cloak once their fully grown and matured<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I support this idea.
  • wanniewannie Join Date: 2012-07-28 Member: 154405Members
    I like your idea OutlawDr, I really do miss having darker rooms (it makes playing marines more fun and would possibly give skulks the boost the need atm).
  • fedobearfedobear Join Date: 2011-07-14 Member: 110369Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1973045:date=Sep 6 2012, 09:45 PM:name=OutlawDr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OutlawDr @ Sep 6 2012, 09:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973045"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would rather see the opposite. Powered rooms damage cysts (EMF disruption or whatever technobabble you want to explain it with...nanites). Aliens would actually care about powernodes beyond just the CC rooms, and for marines this makes powernodes interesting ..and not just pain in the ass liability.

However, I agree that aliens should have the ability cut the power from their starting rooms, and not rely on the awkward game mechanic of waiting for marines to first build the powernode. To help with this, there should a be a distinction between a powernode and the initial power socket you see on the wall.

By default all rooms have their lights on and with power sockets that have no power nodes built over them. Aliens can destroy the socket, which turns off the power. Sockets are low health and easy to destroy, so aliens won't have to be munching forever to turn off power on their side of the map during the beginning of the game (like we saw in earlier builds when all rooms started with powernodes). So powernodes in a sense fortify the socket for marines. Building a powernode on a undamaged socket is fast, exactly like how it is currently when marines build the powernode initially. Building a powernode on a destroyed socket is slow, exactly how it is currently when marines rebuild a destroyed powernode. Destroying a powernode also destroys the socket, so powernodes would act exactly like they currently do. Again, this is all to allow aliens from the start to turn off the power in their starting rooms, but still maintain how powernodes currently work throughout the rest of the game.

Thats an interesting idea, even if it is totally a starcraft ripoff : P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There are a few flaws I can see with your idea.

if killing a socket is fast, and rebuilding from damaged socket is slow, then this gives incentive for skulks early game to just much on every single empty socket they see, just to slow marine expansion. And this is bad because it would affect the expansion rate difference too much, gimping marines badly.
    Possible revisions of your idea:
    1 - empty sockets are destroyed fast (4s of muching on your own, perhaps?) and rebuilt by a single mariene just as fast.
    Implications: early game skulks will move out to scout, and when probably cut the power to rooms adjacent to the comm centre. This will give a very minor buff skulks and encourage ambush play. Flashlights should also see more use to counter. when the marines manage to push out as they would do normally their movement

2 - power sockets can be exclusively damaged by infestation.
    Implications: the 1st hive room will eventually get dark. Rooms also get darker as the commander spreas cysts, but by the time that you cover 50% of the map, the marines should have had the opportunity to cover 50% also. It puts a very slight additional emphasis on the first minutes of play, as it governs what rooms are lit (not a huge gamebreaking buff)

3 - a combination of the two
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1973045:date=Sep 6 2012, 09:45 PM:name=OutlawDr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OutlawDr @ Sep 6 2012, 09:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973045"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thats an interesting idea, even if it is totally a starcraft ripoff : P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A SC ripoff it might be, but in that game the infestation is a useful mechanic and its actually worth spreading to the enemies base since they either need to waste resources on getting a unit with vision or accept they're on infestation. In this game you never spread them at all further than you have to, its too costly for no benifit