Visual Effects suggestion that will give NS2 "detail oriented" accolade

RiCexEaTeRRiCexEaTeR Join Date: 2010-05-10 Member: 71700Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited September 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Cuz seeing opfor upgrades is detail oriented!</div>I love this game, been with it since the hf mod for the days of CO_maps. I want this game to succeed and wow the world! But as in everything else in the world, the wow factor is in the details. One detail i want to point out is the lack of visual acknowledgment of upgrades. I understand that game play and balance have been the forefront of your operations lately but with pre-orders out, I believe now is the time to add the small but powerful "wow" factors.

----------------------
I believe upgrades should have a visual impact on the game. It would add depth and make the game appear more "refined/high end"

Marine Example
Armor 0 - Main chest plate/helm. Kevlar covering most other areas and extremities (arms legs)
Armor 1 - plate added to anterior surface of legs and posterior arms
Armor 2 - full surface encompassing plate with modern scale plating at the joints and neck
Armor 3 - Looks like armor 2 but with a feint traveling light that looks like todd's armor in starcraft 2 (the Jamaican guy) <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6THWRV-vUyc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6THWRV-vUyc</a>

Weapons upgrades could have a change in sound and brightness in muzzle flash

Kharaa examples
Cara - looks like it has bone armor
Adrenaline - They grow a gill like structure to increase O2 exchange
celerity - More muscle definition
Camouflage - Mottled skin like a chameleon
etc
-------------------------------

Injury and bleeding effects

keeping in mind UWE's policy against gore (which I completly agree with), I think there should be a visual system for the acknowledgment of injury. An injured marine should looked messed up and an injured Kharaa should be bleeding . As a gorge I want to say "holy crap" when a fade near death runs to me for healing but know another fade is not as injured with only a few flesh wounds. As a skulk i want to see which marines are the most injured to take them out of the fight first and reduce the line of fire most efficiently.

As a Marine, I want to SEE that a fellow marine needs welding not READing a percentage off the top of his head. I want to be able to see how hurt that Onos really is instead of guessing as I follow him thru that corridor of whips.

So far, these effects are on structures (and they do a great job) but translate that to players and you have a more enriching experience.
-----------------------------------

Getting stepped on

A problem as a skulk is not knowing if a Marine jumped over you or is on you. If a marine jumps on you, the screen should sink a few inches to indicate that he is on you. The marine should have a stumbling effect like a screen bob while running (IRL you should trip because ur on a squishy uneven surface but meh). How to implement this without effecting the dynamics of combat can be daunting however. (maybe remove jump penalty and add a greater bob while jumping? iono)

--------------------

On a side note. Everyone whom I have demoed this game to have had a GREAT interest in it. It has impressed everyone from the casual FPS to the hardcore RTS player. All I can say is thank you UWE for producing an awsome game that I can brag being the first to play it. (that feeling like your the first one to have the iphone or whatever)

Comments

• spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Yup, visual representations of upgrades have been an old and often requested feature. Hopefully in post v1.0! =]

As for stumbling/stunning Skulks by jumping on them, not a huge fan.