Any plans to implement recognition for support classes?

NukoeNukoe Join Date: 2012-08-05 Member: 154821Members
edited September 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
Hey! I've noticed a few complaints about lerks and flamethrowers, which I somewhat agree with. Flamethrowers right now aren't very commonly used, and I don't think it's because they're a terrible weapon, but because people can't really tell how much they're contributing. The same can be said of lerk spores and commanders actually researching the ability(even though, tbh, it should be a default class skill). Little things like increasing your score for playing support will go a long way with getting players to actually choose those roles. It may seem petty, but many people like to be reassured they're actually helping win the game.

In short, an assist system. If a flamethrower impedes an alien, only for a shotgun user to finish them off, give partial credit to the flamethrower....if a skulk mauls a half-dead marine that's been deteriorated by spores, give the lerk recognition. Same thing for a gorge that heals an onos wrecking a marine base.

These suggestions don't affect the balance of the game, they simply add incentives to play support classes. Make sure those players know they're an essential part of the match. I feel this is very important in a class based MP game with support.

Comments

• TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Your recognition is helping your team win. Score is a terrible approximation of overall usefulness anyway.
  • NukoeNukoe Join Date: 2012-08-05 Member: 154821Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1971998:date=Sep 5 2012, 09:44 AM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Sep 5 2012, 09:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1971998"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Your recognition is helping your team win. Score is a terrible approximation of overall usefulness anyway.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Again, people like to be reassured. Look at the lack of flamethrowers/lerks and gorges...then tell me the same thing. Assist systems have been used in many PC games with support classes and they don't detract from the balance one bit.

Sure, score isn't completely accurate as to how much you're contributing but it helps boost morale.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    How about just removing the scoreboard? That way you'll never have to worry about comparing e-penises and be able to simply enjoy the game...
    <!--quoteo(post=1972006:date=Sep 5 2012, 09:52 AM:name=Neoken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Neoken @ Sep 5 2012, 09:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972006"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about just removing the scoreboard? That way you'll never have to worry about comparing e-penises and be able to simply enjoy the game...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Again, look at the lack of support classes in most games. I don't remember the last time I was hit by a flamethrower. Throw your elitist tantrum all you want(this is coming from a fellow PC elitist), it helps give people an incentive to actually pick up those classes.
  • SoulsafeSoulsafe Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157901Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1972001:date=Sep 5 2012, 12:47 PM:name=Nukoe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nukoe @ Sep 5 2012, 12:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972001"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Again, people like to be reassured. Look at the lack of flamethrowers/lerks and gorges...then tell me the same thing. Assist systems have been used in many PC games with support classes and they don't detract from the balance one bit.

Sure, score isn't completely accurate as to how much you're contributing but it helps boost morale.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the man speaks the truth, morale is an important part of any fighting machine. Its what keeps marine teams from saying "gg recycle" as opposed to trying to make a comeback, which is very possible mind you.
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1972009:date=Sep 5 2012, 09:53 AM:name=Soulsafe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soulsafe @ Sep 5 2012, 09:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972009"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the man speaks the truth, morale is an important part of any fighting machine. Its what keeps marine teams from saying "gg recycle" as opposed to trying to make a comeback, which is very possible mind you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

People like to act high and mighty, pretend they don't check the scoreboard now and again...but in the end, people like incentives. Morale is important, and always has been. Don't view the scoreboard as a way of comparing e-peens, but simply as a way to tell yourself "We can still win, we can come back from this" or "Hmm..I can do better".

I bet you an assist system would see an influx of support class players, and bring a balance to all the fades/shotgun/grenade launchers. Those classes are more popular for a reason, and not because they're better/more important.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2005-05-15 Member: 51659
    Didn't they consider using something in line of TF2? I'd like to see that.

Maybe it launches with the general stats.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    The incentive should be to win as a team. Having a scoreboard that compares individual performances creates competition between team members. I understand your suggestion of giving assist bonuses, but in my opinion, if you really want people to truthfully act as a team, then remove the scoreboard and behold.
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1972019:date=Sep 5 2012, 10:04 AM:name=Neoken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Neoken @ Sep 5 2012, 10:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972019"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The incentive should be to win as a team. Having a scoreboard that compares individual performances creates competition between team members. I understand your suggestion of giving assist bonuses, but in my opinion, if you really want people to truthfully act as a team, then remove the scoreboard and behold.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not many competitive games stay active without a score system of some sort, or alive....to any degree. It's almost considered blasphemy. In a perfect world your views would work(or perhaps a world with a hivemind), but this isn't. People get demoralized, they want credit for their hard work, and support classes are often overlooked/under-appreciated without some form of recognition. I can't count how many games players only go Gorge because a hive is dying, then switch back to Skulk.

You can't deny Gorges/Flamethrowers/Lerks are underplayed in comparison to everything else.

Also, here's a reminder....competitive games create a competitive feel. It's the nature of things. People like to complete, otherwise e-sports wouldn't be a thing. People like to compete even amongst team members. I'll take a little friendly rivalry over people neglecting support classes. Seems like the better option...
  • Downtown1Downtown1 Join Date: 2011-09-03 Member: 119787Members
    Dota2 has a scoreboard, CS has a scoreboard, both games have assists - those games are plenty competitive so there's no reason why NS2 shouldn't have assists.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I believe UWE has wanted to ensure proper credit is given to classes like the gorge and those who assist in building an rt or assist in killing an enemy..
    Assume this will come post 1.0
  • SirGraySirGray Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157909Members
    Nukoe speaks the truth, it would really boost support morale and use. As lots of people like to see their name and score on the board, if they have really low scores they might think they are not contributing enough, or if they feel they need to have the highest score then we lose out on much needed support classes.
  • DuskDusk Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106114Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1972001:date=Sep 5 2012, 09:47 AM:name=Nukoe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nukoe @ Sep 5 2012, 09:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972001"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Again, people like to be reassured. Look at the lack of flamethrowers/lerks and gorges...then tell me the same thing. Assist systems have been used in many PC games with support classes and they don't detract from the balance one bit.

Sure, score isn't completely accurate as to how much you're contributing but it helps boost morale.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The lack of flamethrowers has nothing to do with people not being reassured. Right now very few commanders research them because other tech is more popular. Also by the time flamethrowers are available most players have already used up all their res on shotguns and exos. The same type of thing happens with the lerk. Lerks need adrenalin and carapace to be really useful and by the time both of those are up you can go fade. Lerks rarely help the team win in the current build and require too much skill for an average player to waste 30 res on. This just means the lerk needs some more work and balancing... not assist points. As for gorges, they are used too often. Your team only needs a few and there are usually 4 or 5 at any one time. Some of the better players are even able to top the kill count as gorges.

Despite all i just said i do agree that the purpose of the stat board should be to used to give you some reassurance that you are being useful to your team. I don't think assists are needed but the point system should equalize all classes a little better. An active front line medic gorge should have some point feedback for helping a team push. Of course a bilebomb gorge can quickly move to the top of the scoreboard.
  • CimCim Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147403Members
    I think you guys are thinking about this the wrong way. It's not so much about displaying individual performance as it is teaching players what to do.

If you get score for welding teammates for example, it would convey much more effectively to new players that this is something you should be doing. Not to mention that it's a constant reminder from that point on.

It's the easiest way for a developer to steer players into a style of playing that is beneficial and fun for everyone.
    <!--quoteo(post=1972115:date=Sep 5 2012, 02:13 PM:name=Cim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cim @ Sep 5 2012, 02:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972115"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think you guys are thinking about this the wrong way. It's not so much about displaying individual performance as it is teaching players what to do.

If you get score for welding teammates for example, it would convey much more effectively to new players that this is something you should be doing. Not to mention that it's a constant reminder from that point on.

It's the easiest way for a developer to steer players into a style of playing that is beneficial and fun for everyone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Your benefit from welding your teammates is seeing their health go up. You can be 300 points up on your opposing team's best player and still losing badly; points will never be able to encompass all the things you can do for your team.
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    Assists would really be welcome, they might not add much but its still better than seeing some random guy hatchet an Onos when everyone worked hard to bring it down.
    <!--quoteo(post=1972124:date=Sep 5 2012, 02:23 PM:name=Onii-chan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onii-chan @ Sep 5 2012, 02:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972124"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Assists would really be welcome, they might not add much but its still better than seeing some random guy hatchet an Onos when everyone worked hard to bring it down.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Don't diss the switch-axe; it ignores hide armor, and most Oni have real trouble targeting people that close.

I know it kills quicker than a Shotgun. It might even be better than a LMG.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    I like score in NS, yesterday I was 0 for 9 and 2nd on the Marine team table, behind a guy 24 - 4 (and the commander, who doesn't move table places).

We won, I was poos at aiming, but all the structural damage my axe and I were doing ment I had a good table position, yay happy glow from meanlingless virtual achievement.

Please keep score, and like the op asked, any way to implement this effect I experienced above for alien support classes? Usually they don't do so much structural damage which is one of the only two(?) non kill ways of gaining score.
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1972027:date=Sep 5 2012, 01:10 PM:name=Nukoe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nukoe @ Sep 5 2012, 01:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972027"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not many competitive games stay active without a score system of some sort, or alive....to any degree. It's almost considered blasphemy. In a perfect world your views would work(or perhaps a world with a hivemind), but this isn't. People get demoralized, they want credit for their hard work, and support classes are often overlooked/under-appreciated without some form of recognition. I can't count how many games players only go Gorge because a hive is dying, then switch back to Skulk.

You can't deny Gorges/Flamethrowers/Lerks are underplayed in comparison to everything else.

Also, here's a reminder....competitive games create a competitive feel. It's the nature of things. People like to complete, otherwise e-sports wouldn't be a thing. People like to compete even amongst team members. I'll take a little friendly rivalry over people neglecting support classes. Seems like the better option...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not saying people wouldn't enjoy getting bonus points for assists/welding/building/etc, and yes, alot of people like to compete with one another even when they're in thesame team. I might have been too blunt before (grumpy mood, forgive me), I'm no gamer-saint myself. When playing, my primary goal is always to win, but if there's a scoreboard keeping track of my performances, I'm definitely gonna keep my eye on it to compare myself to others. And that might even influence the way I play at times, like choosing a class that deals damage instead of supplying support. It's only human. In any case, if you're gonna have a scoreboard, it shouldn't be K/D only. Support classes should get some love too, I agree.

But I'd just like to see a team-based competitive game just ditch that scoreboard completely. Then there would no longer be a struggle to climb the ladder, only the struggle to win the game would remain. This would reinforce the "us vs them" spirit, and then people would definitely be more willing switch to different classes/roles if it's needed.

For instance, the new TF2 co-op mode does this brilliantly. They could have included a whole list on stats on the public scoreboard: most kills, most assists, most money grabbed, etc. But they didn't so you wouldn't see people competing with each other in a co-op game. And people play co-op plenty. I'd like to have that feeling when playing any other game that is based on team objectives.
  • DuskDusk Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106114Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1972124:date=Sep 5 2012, 12:23 PM:name=Onii-chan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Onii-chan @ Sep 5 2012, 12:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972124"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Assists would really be welcome, they might not add much but its still better than seeing some random guy hatchet an Onos when everyone worked hard to bring it down.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes and every single marine and a few turrets would get an assist.