Kharaa need a fortfeit/recycle

MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
A vote, a recycle, a "self-consume" whatever - Marines have it, Kharaa need it. Simply for the sake of pub gameplay. When Kharaa are winning, they usually clear the map pretty quickly. But when marines are winning, it's phase->armory->obs->phase->armory->obs, just a really, really slow and secure walk to victory.

Yes, I'm aware that recycling goes against "having amazing and surprising victories". But marines have it. So should aliens.

Comments

• TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited September 2012
    f4?

I don't support it, but it exists.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    They should call it 'splurge'... do I need to explain?
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1971950:date=Sep 5 2012, 06:56 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Sep 5 2012, 06:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1971950"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->f4?

I don't support it, but it exists.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

F4 doesn't work because it requires 100% of the team to resign. So just one player thinking it's more fun to build clog towers outside the map is enough to thwart that.
  • KaptajnKLOKaptajnKLO Join Date: 2012-06-25 Member: 153658Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1972003:date=Sep 5 2012, 06:49 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Sep 5 2012, 06:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972003"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->F4 doesn't work because it requires 100% of the team to resign. So just one player thinking it's more fun to build clog towers outside the map is enough to thwart that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In my experience it works pretty well. All it takes is for someone with a mic to say "hey guys we obviously lost this one, lets just all F4 instead of wasting time." And I have yet to experience a troll who will not quit.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2012
    I want "Decompose" as an option to recycle after watching new players res lock themselves accidently over the weekend.
    (wasnt really their fault, the commander view displaying the amount of res towers was borked in the pax build)
  • DuskDusk Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106114Members, Constellation
    Yeah give aliens recycle and give marines celerity... the reason it takes a long time for your game to finish is because your team is still trying to kill marines. If you want to quit just hit f4. I almost always wait it out because i believe the other team deserves the satisfaction of the final kill.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1972028:date=Sep 5 2012, 11:12 AM:name=KaptajnKLO)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KaptajnKLO @ Sep 5 2012, 11:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972028"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In my experience it works pretty well. All it takes is for someone with a mic to say "hey guys we obviously lost this one, lets just all F4 instead of wasting time." And I have yet to experience a troll who will not quit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Its not so much 'troll' as just someone is a noob usually.
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Even with marines recycling, the aliens still have to find and kill the command chair. I have seen players who like to hide in a vent when the game is over, so I think it's better to just F4 and go spectator if you want the round to end quickly.
  • VoodooHexVoodooHex Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153264Members
    edited September 2012
    What about giving aliens a purge egg button that appears when aliens are at 1 hive? It would destroy all eggs and prevent egg spawn for the remainder of the game as long as the khamm doesn't leave the hive or gets voted out.

If voted out, in case of troll, a new khamm could go in and restart the egg spawn.

This would give rines the satisfaction of destroying the final hive in some cases instead of the aliens F4ing all the time
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    +1

<!--quoteo(post=1972028:date=Sep 5 2012, 10:12 AM:name=KaptajnKLO)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KaptajnKLO @ Sep 5 2012, 10:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972028"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In my experience it works pretty well. All it takes is for someone with a mic to say "hey guys we obviously lost this one, lets just all F4 instead of wasting time." And I have yet to experience a troll who will not quit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I have quite frequently. I don't think they were all trolls, but mostly new players who don't know what they are doing. If more than 50% of the players on one side give up, the game should end immediately. NS2 would be well served to implement something more formal like a vote surrender command, rather than the poorly suited F4ing.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I don't expect Kharaa will get any recycle ability, but vote restart/end game with spectacular effects would be nice.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    I think an in-game mechanic like how marines can recycle the IPs is far more satisfying (you actually get to experience a game end) than the aliens current option which is just to F4. In NS1 on TGNS, F4's functionality was disabled because it encouraged people to give up prematurely and unbalance the teams. The IP recycle works because the commander normally asks "does anyone mind if.." first. It can be abused, but rarely is due to the social conventions in the game. I'd love to see something similar for aliens.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    PsiWarp ... like the nuke button on Lemmings? Ohhhhh noooooooo! pop.
  • incy247incy247 Join Date: 2012-09-05 Member: 157973Members
    Wouldn't it be nice to have a surrender vote say after 15 mins of play?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1972160:date=Sep 5 2012, 01:19 PM:name=incy247)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (incy247 @ Sep 5 2012, 01:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972160"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wouldn't it be nice to have a surrender vote say after 15 mins of play?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I actually like ND's method; Comm activates surrender vote and if 51% of the team says yes, they surrender.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Yeah, let's put in a surrender mechanic so any chance of an awesome comeback is flushed down the ###### by cynical losers.
  • greenpeegreenpee Join Date: 2012-04-10 Member: 150218Members
    edited September 2012
    A surrender option past 25 minutes or so (long enough into the game where a comeback is the slimmest of the slim chances) and maybe some tech requirements (loss of hive + only 1 hive left + weapons/armor 3 + 2 or more CC's)? And it'll have to be more than 51%, somewhere along the lines of 75%?

I'm all for a great comeback, but half the time it just turns into a waiting game where aliens are good enough to defend up until marines get a3/w3, but not good enough to break out.

edit: it will also allow aliens to end the game before the beacon/exo rush that everyone wants to be a part of, but no one wants to be the victim of.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1972215:date=Sep 5 2012, 05:23 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Sep 5 2012, 05:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972215"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, let's put in a surrender mechanic so any chance of an awesome comeback is flushed down the ###### by cynical losers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Cynical losers will just end up afking or f4ing either way.

For every 1 awesome comback I've experienced, there are 20 other times where I've been "why won't this just freaking end already."
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1972227:date=Sep 6 2012, 12:41 AM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ Sep 6 2012, 12:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972227"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cynical losers will just end up afking or f4ing either way.

For every 1 awesome comback I've experienced, there are 20 other times where I've been "why won't this just freaking end already."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This.

And, if you make the requirement 50-75%, and the vote succeeds, you wouldn't have made it anyway. All great comebacks are due to a bunch of people working together and rushing something. If the majority of the team has lost hope, 2-3 people aren't gonna pull off a comeback by themselves.
    <!--quoteo(post=1972227:date=Sep 5 2012, 04:41 PM:name=MisterNubs)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MisterNubs @ Sep 5 2012, 04:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972227"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cynical losers will just end up afking or f4ing either way.

For every 1 awesome comback I've experienced, there are 20 other times where I've been "why won't this just freaking end already."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The 20 times where it doesn't end has more to do with endgame balance. The answer is not a surrender mechanic.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1972238:date=Sep 5 2012, 03:58 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Sep 5 2012, 03:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972238"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The 20 times where it doesn't end has more to do with endgame balance. The answer is not a surrender mechanic.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes ideally games should end quickly and a surrender mechanic is a cheap response.

As aliens you can end the game pretty quick, same with marines. However both sides, often more aliens, have a habit of spawn killing and ignoring structures for a frustratingly long time. Getting killed by 3 fades a dozen times before finally ending is annoying.

As alien commander, once people start that I blew out the cysts and unrooted the whips. As marine commander I just recycled the IPs. If the team cannot spawn into a cohesive unit then no point delaying. Sometimes commanders do this far too early though. "Oh no I lost second CC lets all quit"
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited September 2012
    Funny how this topic comes up again and again but people think it isn't a legitimate concern..

<!--quoteo(post=1972215:date=Sep 5 2012, 05:23 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Sep 5 2012, 05:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972215"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, let's put in a surrender mechanic so any chance of an awesome comeback is flushed down the ###### by cynical losers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

those comebacks never happen, and they never have happened, unless players on the enemy team also got bored and left/stopped trying

if someone is demolishing you and in the process of winning the game, they should WIN the game at some point (or else the game is crap)...allowing players to surrender is the most obvious way to achieve this since THE MARINES CAN ALREADY DO IT and it's commonplace in competitive gaming (and UWE claims to want ns2 to "be an esport")

also, recycling has uses beyond forfeiting games that the aliens should have access to!
    <!--quoteo(post=1972269:date=Sep 5 2012, 06:41 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Sep 5 2012, 06:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972269"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As aliens you can end the game pretty quick, same with marines. However both sides, often more aliens, have a habit of spawn killing and ignoring structures for a frustratingly long time. Getting killed by 3 fades a dozen times before finally ending is annoying.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Part of this is as a fade you do CRAP damage to buildings, so the only way to ensure you'll be able to end it is to camp the IPs and do bad damage to them as you kill marines. Otherwise, slamming the CC as a fade with 2 working IPs behind you is kinda dumb.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's really one of the few things I hate on the NS concept. If you can tell for sure, that the game is lost but you have to wait or let you get killed for another 5 or 10 minutes. It's so frustrating and if there wouldn't be so few playable servers I would just connect to another one instead of letting the enemy kill me for another 10 minutes.

The surrender option isn't sadly the best solution. Because it robs the winning team of the fun to finish the enemy. But I can't see any other way to prevent this boring already-lost-games.
    <!--quoteo(post=1972775:date=Sep 6 2012, 05:24 PM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Sep 6 2012, 05:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972775"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's really one of the few things I hate on the NS concept. If you can tell for sure, that the game is lost but you have to wait or let you get killed for another 5 or 10 minutes. It's so frustrating and if there wouldn't be so few playable servers I would just connect to another one instead of letting the enemy kill me for another 10 minutes.

The surrender option isn't sadly the best solution. Because it robs the winning team of the fun to finish the enemy. But I can't see any other way to prevent this boring already-lost-games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Only thing I can think of is something like, if Kharaa had 2 hives, and lost one 10min into the game, they would have to have another hive up in, say, 5min or they would all receive a -50% debuff on HP and damage? I'm totally taking this out of my arse, but something like that, maybe? Gah. It might be impossible to map "hopeless situations" like that.

I don't like a surrender-vote option though - as you said, the winning team doesn't get to finish the game that way. But a recycle like function isn't that bad, it's alright fun to chase the remaining marines. Just think of the "find the last skulk" :3 (As the dead kharaa give marines tips on where to find him)
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    It would be cool to be able to "absorb" buildings back into some resources as long as they are on infestation (similar to marine structures have to be powered).
    edited September 2012
    I don't want the aliens to have a recycle option to get resources back, as it would throw off the economy of the game. I just want a forfeit ability. If stuff is gonna recede into the infestation, let it be the hives. Everything else will die off itself as the cyst chain wouldn't be able to support itself.

edit: and the aliens wouldn't spawn anymore obviously.
    <!--quoteo(post=1972238:date=Sep 5 2012, 02:58 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Sep 5 2012, 02:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972238"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The 20 times where it doesn't end has more to do with endgame balance. The answer is not a surrender mechanic.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Surrendering is a valid and accepted mechanic in other games, such as SC1/2 and Chess. People regularly resign when they see that they've lost, opting not to play out the rest of a match they already know is over. A similar thing happens in NS2, but its plays out where several people on the losing side f4/quit, then teams get imbalanced, then someone on the losing side complains they are losing because of the team imbalance, rather than that they've already lost and didn't know it.
    <!--quoteo(post=1972301:date=Sep 5 2012, 06:11 PM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Sep 5 2012, 06:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972301"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Funny how this topic comes up again and again but people think it isn't a legitimate concern..

those comebacks never happen, and they never have happened, unless players on the enemy team also got bored and left/stopped trying

if someone is demolishing you and in the process of winning the game, they should WIN the game at some point (or else the game is crap)...allowing players to surrender is the most obvious way to achieve this since THE MARINES CAN ALREADY DO IT and it's commonplace in competitive gaming (and UWE claims to want ns2 to "be an esport")

also, recycling has uses beyond forfeiting games that the aliens should have access to!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've been in games where we've come back and won after having no built com chairs. Just because it never happens to you doesn't mean it never happens.

<!--quoteo(post=1972955:date=Sep 6 2012, 01:33 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Sep 6 2012, 01:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972955"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Surrendering is a valid and accepted mechanic in other games, such as SC1/2 and Chess. People regularly resign when they see that they've lost, opting not to play out the rest of a match they already know is over. A similar thing happens in NS2, but its plays out where several people on the losing side f4/quit, then teams get imbalanced, then someone on the losing side complains they are losing because of the team imbalance, rather than that they've already lost and didn't know it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This isn't chess or SC, there is always a chance for a comeback in NS.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1973004:date=Sep 6 2012, 03:10 PM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Sep 6 2012, 03:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1973004"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been in games where we've come back and won after having no built com chairs. Just because it never happens to you doesn't mean it never happens.

This isn't chess or SC, there is always a chance for a comeback in NS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There's always a chance for a comeback in Chess and SC. All you need is a stupid mistake from your opponent like moving his queen into the path of your knight or flying his command station over your base.