You guys should talk to valve and add a TF2 hat to the special edition.

2»

Comments

• CamronCamron Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76356Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1985095:date=Sep 30 2012, 09:02 AM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Sep 30 2012, 09:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1985095"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lmao you guys never cease to amaze me, I love it here. A bit too obvious of a troll though, so only 6/10, lost points for lack of subtlety.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey" target="_blank">http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey</a>
  • donkeyhacksdonkeyhacks Join Date: 2012-05-10 Member: 151835Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1984167:date=Sep 28 2012, 03:15 PM:name=Camron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Camron @ Sep 28 2012, 03:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984167"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This isn't going to happen because of NS2 performance issues. A TF2 hat from a game is <b>almost</b> like an endorsement from Valve. Too many people would buy NS2 not knowing about how poorly it runs. There would be a lot of refund requests.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<b>-Insult removed - GISP</b>

Resident evil:ORC was in a beyond terrible state for months.. and the steam version was extremely delayed on receiving DLC nobody got a refund for that when complaining.
    Borderlands 2 took at least a couple of weeks before they fixed multiplayer not working nobody got refunded for that.

If you put a tf2 has as reward for buying NS2 it will encourage people to check out the game, If they don't like it after they have bought it why should they get a refund?
    If they took more interest in it after the hat was added it's clear they care not for the game and only for the hat... steam could easily just claim they bought it for the hat and after trading away the hat want rid of the game and the money back.. So they wouldn't do it.. it just wouldn't happen. now pipe down you tool.
  • WhiteWeaselWhiteWeasel Join Date: 2012-11-25 Member: 173197Members
    I support the tf2 idea. Maybe a MAC follower like the balloonicorn or brobot?
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    My vote would be for a cyst hat like the one worn by the devs at the launch party.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Even though I have never played TF2, I still do like the idea.

I'd go for a skulk hat (complete skulk model just standing on your head).
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited November 2012
    The final decision about the item would be on Valve's end anyway. Uber Entertainment sent Valve some awesome concepts for promotional TF2 items (like the Veteran's shoulder pad and jetpack for the Heavy), but in the end Valve refused that stuff and came up with some more or less appealing simple hats for Pyro and Sniper that don't really suit them well.

At least it wouldn't be as toxic as crosspromotions for F2P titles, though. It must feel really bad for a developer if a game suddenly gets four times as many players as usual, just to have half of them run around with names like "game sucks - I am here for the hatz". And yeah, the TF2 community is unfortunately made up of such people, especially those who care about the hats.
    The TF2 crosspromotion did SMNC more bad than good, honestly. All it did was cause horrible matches for the already established playerbase with people who were not even interested in getting into the game at all and just idled or kept feeding intentionally to end matches faster.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=1974779:date=Sep 9 2012, 11:45 PM:name=WorthyRival)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WorthyRival @ Sep 9 2012, 11:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974779"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Engi Sentry = NS2 Sentry<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->This stands out at me, since I think it could fit well for the TF2 *MINI* sentry. Since the NS2 sentry is just a single 'level' non-upgradeable sentry, and the TF2 'mini sentry' is the same, I think it would be a good fit. The NS2 sentry isn't futuristic looking to the point where it would clash with the game.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    I'd make it a all class hat of some kind rather than a single TF2 class specific item. My vote would be for a onos head hat.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    nxzl.Drone actually had a hat made for TF2, it was an Onos hat.

But UWE turned it down because it was "community made" by someone at Valve (lol). If I can find the picture of it I'll link afterwards.
  • MrFlipMrFlip Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177299Members
    this needs to be done. SOOO many people would buy the game.
  • thippthipp Join Date: 2012-12-30 Member: 176734Members
    nonononononoonononononono

A small indie development company (UberEnt/Unknown Worlds) once decided to add TF2 crossover items to the game (SMNC(BEST GAME EVER)/NS2) and the new players (casual TF2 players) could not handle the admittedly complex game that was unique and dissimilar from any other game. The players then decided that the game was a shooter (Third Person Shooter + MobA/FPS + RTS) and totally ruined the game for anyone who played with them. These players came in a massive wave, causing a ton of attention to be drawn to the game (<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixl6yOde-58" target="_blank">TotalBiscuit</a>/whatever) while the game was in an unpolished state. These players leave because they do not understand the hidden complexity of the game, but new players still trickle in for the crossover. This exposes tons of people to the game in an unpolished state, leading to them giving up on the game forever, even after people tell them it improved vastly. Veterans start leaving because of the lack of players and they spread the word that the game is dying. It snowballs into a self-fulfilling prophecy that ends in the way it was predicted, and the game forever becomes a hidden jewel that should not be hidden.

Please, it happened with my favorite game of all time, and it's looking grim for it. Let's not have it happen for <i>one of</i> my favorite games of all time, please.

<a href="http://forums.uberent.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=42530" target="_blank">The rant I made about SMNC.</a>
    <a href="http://forums.uberent.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=626886#p626886" target="_blank">The cycle</a>
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    in the commercial sense, no one need the player. u just suck money with the hat. who cares if you dump the game after buying it.
    <!--quoteo(post=2060275:date=Jan 13 2013, 08:35 PM:name=Lofung)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lofung @ Jan 13 2013, 08:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060275"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->who cares if you dump the game after buying it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    .... The players?

There are a lot better ways to earn more profit in the long run, particularly considering the hats are normally, in the case of SMNC, free to obtain. It's unlikely, unless the hat looks amazing, people would buy NS2 just to get it.

The cons outweigh the pros if you ask me.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2060304:date=Jan 14 2013, 12:35 PM:name=thipp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thipp @ Jan 14 2013, 12:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2060304"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->.... The players?

There are a lot better ways to earn more profit in the long run, particularly considering the hats are normally, in the case of SMNC, free to obtain. It's unlikely, unless the hat looks amazing, people would buy NS2 just to get it.

The cons outweigh the pros if you ask me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    but sir, if this game is so good, you dun need the hats after all, right? money will eventually flock in.
    I know that they are definitely in it for the money, but I like to believe developers hold some semblance of caring for their work.

Adding a TF2 Crossover is good in the short run but oh god does it turn south fast.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2059956:date=Jan 13 2013, 05:08 AM:name=thipp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thipp @ Jan 13 2013, 05:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2059956"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->nonononononoonononononono

A small indie development company (UberEnt/Unknown Worlds) once decided to add TF2 crossover items to the game (SMNC(BEST GAME EVER)/NS2) and the new players (casual TF2 players) could not handle the admittedly complex game that was unique and dissimilar from any other game. The players then decided that the game was a shooter (Third Person Shooter + MobA/FPS + RTS) and totally ruined the game for anyone who played with them. These players came in a massive wave, causing a ton of attention to be drawn to the game (<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixl6yOde-58" target="_blank">TotalBiscuit</a>/whatever) while the game was in an unpolished state. These players leave because they do not understand the hidden complexity of the game, but new players still trickle in for the crossover. This exposes tons of people to the game in an unpolished state, leading to them giving up on the game forever, even after people tell them it improved vastly. Veterans start leaving because of the lack of players and they spread the word that the game is dying. It snowballs into a self-fulfilling prophecy that ends in the way it was predicted, and the game forever becomes a hidden jewel that should not be hidden.

Please, it happened with my favorite game of all time, and it's looking grim for it. Let's not have it happen for <i>one of</i> my favorite games of all time, please.

<a href="http://forums.uberent.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=42530" target="_blank">The rant I made about SMNC.</a>
    <a href="http://forums.uberent.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=626886#p626886" target="_blank">The cycle</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Listen to this hippo. We share the same pain.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    yeah, but i just really want a gorge themed item... the jarate would be nice, or sniper gorge hat.