# of servers

OscarTheCouchOscarTheCouch Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
Are we ready for the huge wave of new people joining this game....i mean server wise. Do we have enough servers? Are there plans for UWE to run and maintain additional servers besides the 12 or so they already have?

Comments

• DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, we need lots more servers in Europe. US should be at least okay with the NS2HD servers, but EU will be totally screwed.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    From <a href="http://hypernovadesign.co.uk/nanogrid/" target="_blank">Nanogrid</a> it looks like we have roughly 100 servers. If we say there will be an average of 20 playercount per server (to account for some being the full 24 and others in the 12-18 range), then NS2 can handle roughly 2000 players. Though, I'd worry about people playing on servers that can't handle the load.
  • invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I have about 15 or so available server slots for NA that I will be putting online for release day. All these are on i5 2500k's running at 4.4 Ghz so performance won't be an issue at 20 slots.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    Is there anything planned for the EU though? Otherwise we are screwed. :-/
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1971916:date=Sep 5 2012, 08:10 AM:name=Argathor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Argathor @ Sep 5 2012, 08:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1971916"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there anything planned for the EU though? Otherwise we are screwed. :-/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not that I know of. However, I don't think it'd be too difficult to rent a dedicated server (I like this <a href="http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_rootserver/ex4" target="_blank">setup by Hetzner</a>) to get stuff going.
  • syserrorsyserror Join Date: 2007-08-09 Member: 61840Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Unless you can get them to overclock it, that won't be much better than a normal dedi server.

I'm running a clean win2k8 R2 virtual server, setup to use 4x2.3Ghz and 8GB ram (on 64x2.3Ghz blade with 256GB ram) and I can't maintain a tickrate over 10 with more than 10 players.
    I've tried throwing more CPU and/or RAM at it, doesn't make a difference.
    The limiting factor with NS2 is how fast you can push a single core (in terms of Ghz)

I'd guess that most game server providers are not going to shell out on desktop machines just so they can overclock them and to run NS2.
    There is:
    - The <b>initial cost</b> (new servers just for NS2), and higher associated <b>maintenance cost</b> due to consumer hardware (vs server hardware)
    - The <b>risk</b> they are not used, especially with the higher price that would need to be charged
    - The <b>rack space</b> which is at a high premium at datacenters (why use 8u on 16x3.4Ghz [two i7s] when you can use 10u on 1024x2.3Ghz [10 half-height blades each with 64x2.3Ghz])
    - The <b>power usage</b> (blades use less, overclocking uses more) which datacenters also bill at a premium
    - The <b>heat</b> which overclocking causes, depending on which datacenter, may cause issues for the GSP

Yes, people will sell NS2 servers and they will either be:
    a) Really good servers, on really good hardware with a really good [see: high] price to match.
    or
    b) Poor quality servers, on 'normal' server hardware with a more 'normal' price [and performance to match].

I <b>love</b> NS2 and I'd <b>love</b> to throw up more servers but right now I feel like just abandoning the whole thing. I can only run maximum 8~10slot servers and that is with sub-par performance -- so what's the point? I might as well leave it to people who are happy to throw money (see: overclocked i7's) at the problem. :(

<!--coloro:#4169E1--><span style="color:#4169E1"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Long story short, given hardware that can run a 2x32slot dedicated server of almost any other game, that same hardware will only run 2x10slot NS2 servers, why would a GSP think about hosting NS2?

It doesn't cost a medium/large GSP anything to run servers for new games, they have the hardware lying about and it's good advertising, but they are not going to try it -- let alone sell it, in its current state and that is reflected in the number of [good] servers being run for NS2.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    Higher end, non-overclocked GSP hardware could probably handle about 16 players (e.g. Sandy/Ivy Bridge i7 or Xeon) at the moment. What people are currently doing are running a dedicated server with n-1 NS2 servers where n is the number of cores. I don't see why a GSP or even community members couldn't rent a dedicated i7 2600 and run three 16 players servers off of it.
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    I think it's worth pointing out that it's not too hard for the average player to host a game of their own. I did it tonight on my gaming PC, an i5-2400@3.10Ghz, hosting 12 players in total, and played in it (ie., it wasn't dedicated). Apart from the ping issue (I'm in Canada and most people got between 100-150ms ping) the server tick rate ran between 25-30 on average, dipping down to 20.

It's not straightforward, but it wouldn't be hard to see people hosting games on an ad-hoc basis instead of just waiting for servers to be available. As well, I find that if all the "fast" servers are full, I can just join an empty server and it'll fill up within a few minutes.
  • OscarTheCouchOscarTheCouch Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    I have a spare comp at home, i5 2500k OC 4.4ghz, 16 ram. I am also with shaw and have the broadband 50 internet. This has
    â– Up to 50 Mbps download speed
    â– Up to 5 Mbps upload speed
    â– 400 GB monthly transfer limit

Is this able to handle a dedicated server?
    Will i go over my monthly transfer limit?
    <!--quoteo(post=1972535:date=Sep 5 2012, 09:25 PM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Sep 5 2012, 09:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972535"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it's worth pointing out that it's not too hard for the average player to host a game of their own. I did it tonight on my gaming PC, an i5-2400@3.10Ghz, hosting 12 players in total, and played in it (ie., it wasn't dedicated). Apart from the ping issue (I'm in Canada and most people got between 100-150ms ping) the server tick rate ran between 25-30 on average, dipping down to 20.

It's not straightforward, but it wouldn't be hard to see people hosting games on an ad-hoc basis instead of just waiting for servers to be available. As well, I find that if all the "fast" servers are full, I can just join an empty server and it'll fill up within a few minutes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is true, and I plan to host a server on my desktop for the release, but GSPs/general hosting servers have two advantages
    - Better bandwidth/connection speeds than residential ISP service (e.g. any residential connection less than 5 down/2 up would start running into problems)
    - Lower ping due to closer connection to major internet exchange points

That being said, if you have fiber-to-the-home or fiber-to-the-node (i.e. the higher speed cable and DSL service), I'd say it'd be worth hosting a server off your desktop.
  • syserrorsyserror Join Date: 2007-08-09 Member: 61840Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1972522:date=Sep 6 2012, 04:45 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Sep 6 2012, 04:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972522"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Higher end, non-overclocked GSP hardware could probably handle about 16 players (e.g. Sandy/Ivy Bridge i7 or Xeon) at the moment. What people are currently doing are running a dedicated server with n-1 NS2 servers where n is the number of cores. I don't see why a GSP or even community members couldn't rent a dedicated i7 2600 and run three 16 players servers off of it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

People can, but GSPs don't use desktop PCs for their servers. Most use blades for the density/management/power reasons and unless they are running the high clock-speed blades they are going to have to buy brand new kit just to host NS2 servers (which they are unlikely to do without passing the cost on)

£~900 of kit for every 3 servers with a ROI within the year? [£25/month]
    Rackspace, power, peering etc [£60/month/server]
    Management overhead [£10/month]
    Profit margin [£25/month] <!--coloro:#C0C0C0--><span style="color:#C0C0C0"><!--/coloro--><i>(Remember this needs to be high enough that they don't lose money when the server isn't being rented)</i><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Total: £120/month for 3x16slots, £40/month for a 16slot server? Would you pay that? (I can get a 58slot BF3 server for the same price)

<!--quoteo(post=1972543:date=Sep 6 2012, 05:41 AM:name=OscarTheCouch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OscarTheCouch @ Sep 6 2012, 05:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972543"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have a spare comp at home, i5 2500k OC 4.4ghz, 16 ram. I am also with shaw and have the broadband 50 internet. This has

Will i go over my monthly transfer limit?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It should make a really nice server, probably several (2-3). You will most likely not go over your monthly transfer limit (at least not from NS2 servers alone). The only downside is your server will have a slightly higher ping/lag than a server in a well-connected datacenter.

<!--quoteo(post=1972546:date=Sep 6 2012, 05:43 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Sep 6 2012, 05:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972546"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is true, and I plan to host a server on my desktop for the release, but GSPs/general hosting servers have two advantages
    - Better bandwidth/connection speeds than residential ISP service (e.g. any residential connection less than 5 down/2 up would start running into problems)
    - Lower ping due to closer connection to major internet exchange points

That being said, if you have fiber-to-the-home or fiber-to-the-node (i.e. the higher speed cable and DSL service), I'd say it'd be worth hosting a server off your desktop.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is true; peering and number of hops are always better/lower at a datacenter irrespective of your connection type (FTTC, FTTP etc.).
  • woodywoody SoCal Woody56 Join Date: 2004-02-14 Member: 26541Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1971111:date=Sep 4 2012, 04:13 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Sep 4 2012, 04:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1971111"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->From <a href="http://hypernovadesign.co.uk/nanogrid/" target="_blank">Nanogrid</a> it looks like we have roughly 100 servers. If we say there will be an average of 20 playercount per server (to account for some being the full 24 and others in the 12-18 range), then NS2 can handle roughly 2000 players. Though, I'd worry about people playing on servers that can't handle the load.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Up to 124 in just a few days--cool. And your right Bob puting up a server is a snap now.. Be nice to see big numbers like in the glory days of NS <a href="http://www.ns2max.com/kustomkarnage/files/loveisgoneNS.mp3" target="_blank">loveisgoneNS</a>
    <!--quoteo(post=1972660:date=Sep 6 2012, 03:05 AM:name=syserror)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (syserror @ Sep 6 2012, 03:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972660"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->£~900 of kit for every 3 servers with a ROI within the year? [£25/month]
    Rackspace, power, peering etc [£60/month/server]
    Management overhead [£10/month]
    Profit margin [£25/month] <!--coloro:#C0C0C0--><span style="color:#C0C0C0"><!--/coloro--><i>(Remember this needs to be high enough that they don't lose money when the server isn't being rented)</i><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Total: £120/month for 3x16slots, £40/month for a 16slot server? Would you pay that? (I can get a 58slot BF3 server for the same price)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not saying that running a NS2 server is cheap, but its certainly doable with current GSP available hardware. Also, the people who are running the highest performing are essentially paying something around this right now.
    <!--quoteo(post=1975548:date=Sep 11 2012, 08:40 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Sep 11 2012, 08:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975548"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not saying that running a NS2 server is cheap, but its certainly doable with current GSP available hardware. Also, the people who are running the highest performing are essentially paying something around this right now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hey ScardyBob, I was trying to roughly price out what a high performance NS2 server would be costing to the end user (so the price <i>should</i> be what people are paying about now!) -- my point was that compared to other game servers it is significantly more expensive (as in my comparison, I can have a 52slot BF3 server for the same price as an 18slot NS2 server).

Part of my point was depending on what hardware GSPs have invested in (and how old it is), they may not be able to run NS2 (well or at all) and therefore have to either not provide NS2 servers or invest in new kit (and pass that cost onto the end user, hence running a NS2 server not being cheap).

I find it frustrating since I would love to run many NS2 servers but the clock-speed on the hardware I use isn't high enough :(
  • falcfalc Join Date: 2011-03-18 Member: 87128Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1972543:date=Sep 6 2012, 06:41 AM:name=OscarTheCouch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OscarTheCouch @ Sep 6 2012, 06:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1972543"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have a spare comp at home, i5 2500k OC 4.4ghz, 16 ram. I am also with shaw and have the broadband 50 internet. This has

Will i go over my monthly transfer limit?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This depends on the slotcount, your <i>regular</i> (without the server) bandwith-usage and the peering of your provider to give the server a decent ping for other players.

One 16 slot server uses daily 4GB up to 8GB (up & downstream) on my machine, when its full throughout the day.