Exo Attachment - Constructor (nano-construct ability)

hf_hf_ Join Date: 2011-06-10 Member: 103639Members
Basic exo research should allow you access to customize your weapon load-out with three options:

- Mini gun (already implemented)
- Claw (already implemented)
- Constructor (my suggestion)

The constructor attachment would take one of the hand slots and act like the previously-implemented nano-construct ability. It would allow the exo player to build power nodes / buildings much faster than regular marines. However, it is a non-combat attachment, meaning it does no damage to alien players or structures.

I believe there was a plan to add a railgun attachment as well, not sure if that's still in the works, but I like the idea of giving players the option to customize their exo suit to suit their play style. If someone wants to assist in base-building with the exo suit, they should be able to do that, but at the sacrifice of having a melee or ranged weapon. Exos could act as base builders for forward locations with regular marines acting as guards.

As a marine, I really enjoyed the nano-construct ability that commanders had, but I realize it was vastly overpowered and overused. Spending 50 Pres for one player to unlock this ability for their character in an exo suit seems like a good compromise. Plus, from the lore perspective, it looks like these mech robots could have been used as builders to assist marines in constructing their planet bases (but then were later retro-fitted with weapons to combat the alien invasion).

Sorry if this has been suggested before, I only briefly looked at the topics in this forum.

Comments

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    It can work as a separate attachment for post-release (new model and everything), but why not add it as a secondary attack for the claw (like Gore/Smash for Onos)? Punch Kharaa or place your power palm on a Marine structure, and magical sparks appear (nostalgic :D)
  • DarkomicronDarkomicron Join Date: 2010-11-24 Member: 75256Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1970307:date=Sep 3 2012, 08:01 AM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Sep 3 2012, 08:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1970307"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It can work as a separate attachment for post-release (new model and everything), but why not add it as a secondary attack for the claw (like Gore/Smash for Onos)? Punch Kharaa or place your power palm on a Marine structure, and magical sparks appear (nostalgic :D)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

His idea involves giving up combat for utility. If you allow the hand to build then the exo might be overpowered because it's versed in combat and can also build stuff. If you get the 'constructor' you won't be able to punch, only build. You will only have one weapon and thus you are weaker in combat, however you have more utility.

Sacrifice one thing to gain the other. I like it.
  • arnyboy87arnyboy87 Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155551Members
    OP lol

in that case I want my Onos to have a gorge heal spray pls,,, oh oh and a em em a lerk umbra if were asking for stuff lol

I think offence only pls for exo mariens already got macs building/repairing things and marines,
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    We should give fade the ability to healspray structures too right?

Bad idea
  • hf_hf_ Join Date: 2011-06-10 Member: 103639Members
    The constructor attachment couldn't weld, it could only build, meaning that you would still need regular marines with welders to repair exo suits (this way exos can't just repair themselves).

I don't see how a player spending 50 Pres to build 50% faster is overpowered. You're giving up a weapon to order to receive this attachment (trade-off). Commanders are dependent on marines to build structures (unless you have a MAC army). In addition, the team is still limited by available TRes in regards to how much they could build at once.

I like the idea of marines having the ability to quickly setup forward bases without the aliens knowing it. It would somewhat act as a counter to the Shift's echo ability. If you send out an exo or two to quickly build a phase gate, armory, and a few turrets, it could be a real advantage. However, the combat effectiveness of the exo suit is severely compromised because it would not be able to attack once the minigun has overheated, which easily gives aliens 2-3 seconds to damage the exo without the worry of being attacked. Thus, the exo takes on more of a utility support role rather than a killing machine.

NS2 is all about trade-offs. To those who say this is OP are either missing the point entirely, or failing to comprehend what I'm suggesting. To offer as a critique that alien lifeforms should be given extra abilities with no trade-offs is misguided, as it's not at all equivalent to my idea because the alien lifeform would have to give up an ability to gain another, and those abilities would have to offer contrasting benefits (i.e. one ability is for support, and the other is for combat).