Now I can play, but I cant play...

ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
<div class="IPBDescription">server browser needs attention</div>Ok, I found some decent servers ... Oldassgamers , and HZG (?!?)...maybe others but I cant join any.

Now, I could understand if NS1 was using modified BF2 or UT2k5 engines, those server browsers sucked.... but it used the brilliant system from HL, even pre Steam the browser was good... so why doesnt NS2 take some hints ?

Filters ? Lose all those empty servers that take up most the immediate results of the search ? Take out those with >200 ms ping ?
Attempt to join a specfic server, and if its full dont kick the poor sod back to the main menu.
Refresh a specific server ? Its full now but it will have a slot sometime, it takes so long to find the server out the results that by the tiem you find it and hit join you will see yourself looking at the main menu again.
Fave servers ? Now that would save a TON of hassles...

Its not like I am suggesting things never seen in a server browser, its stuff in the browser of your own mod for crying out loud... I am pretty sure NS is a multiplayer game, so this stuff should be a no brainer ? Right ?

I am not even going to ask for automated queues ( try join a server, if full you sit in a queue until the server sends out a free slot msg ).

I had a few nice games and I want to play some more, but spending 30 odd min wrestling with that..... that.... server browser mimic has me already in a foul mood before I get insta gibbed as a new skulk coming face to face with a exo.

Before you guys hop in and shout its a beta, this isnt engine coding stuff, or needing to adapt the render pipelines to get to work here... its a few lines of code... more work was put in with those widgets and stuff, surely someone could of added some server functionality.
I mean they added quick join... which seems to crash my system anyways, this aint a console release at the moment. PC gamers are ok with finding servers and complicated stuff like that, just give some tools to make it easier.

How do you guys get into your fave server ? I tried sorting by name, but the list bounces around as the results come in...and by the time I spotted the server and tried to join, full server and say hello to the main screen. By ping results in mostly empty servers, the one I want to join needs to scroll down and by the time you locate it and press join, say hello to my little main menu screen again.

Am I wrong , am I missing something obvious here ? Laugh at me, but please clue me in as well. The game has gotten fun again, I want to lose my black armor noob player status and actually kill something.

Comments

• MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I press play, then I spam refresh until there's a slot on HBZ or Oldassgamers servers. That's about it.

Oh, oh! I do press the PING button twice after pressing play. That way there's more green on the screen. I like green. It even rhymes.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1969777:date=Sep 1 2012, 03:55 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Sep 1 2012, 03:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969777"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I press play, then I spam refresh until there's a slot on HBZ or Oldassgamers servers. That's about it.

Oh, oh! I do press the PING button twice after pressing play. That way there's more green on the screen. I like green. It even rhymes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Who are you?
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1969777:date=Sep 1 2012, 08:55 PM:name=Mestaritonttu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mestaritonttu @ Sep 1 2012, 08:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969777"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I press play, then I spam refresh until there's a slot on HBZ or Oldassgamers servers. That's about it.

Oh, oh! I do press the PING button twice after pressing play. That way there's more green on the screen. I like green. It even rhymes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you trying to be funny, because you are failing miserably... you should stop.

Unlike you I dont like playing with the browser, I dont enjoy colours I simply want to play the bloody game... if you cant help or answer in a sensible manner... [insert fave expletive here] off, <!--coloro:orange--><span style="color:orange"><!--/coloro--><sup>*Snip* Be nicer. - Angelusz</sup><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->.