General Exo.

whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">While it's awesome, post your genius ideas for improvement.</div>The Exo-Suit is MASSIVE. It is all you could WANT, when you're out in the GALAXY, TERMINATING GOOEY SPACE THINGS you wouldn't even TOUCH WITHOUT A PAIR ROBOGLOVES.

It's awesome. It's the kind of space bully you wan't to be when those pesky aliens don't ever stop bugging you with their parasites and ######. But still. There's so much more to imagine.

So. While the internal news channels of the TSA run one Exo-Ad after another screaming "BUT WAIT, THERES MOAR!" with marines cheering in every corner of the solar system, we have to ask ourselves, is this really what the aliens deserve?

- Exo's squashing Eggs is nice. It's comprehensible. But it seems they aren't save anywhere, cause Exo's ignore some of the laws of physics. They can't duck, but they surely can get into every corner they want.

- Exo's bionic hand is also nice. Feels heavy and does fairly fine damage. But grabbing skulks or pushing ###### is too much for the Exo. If i could rotate that thing like a fan, screaming "WILL IT BLEND?!" while walking into a hive room, i would do it. But seriously i miss an alternative usage for it.

- Dual Miniguns are great! But after hearing the sound of them half of every game, they leave a strange taste in my ears. Also they seem to be to static in the view model.

- No Flamer attachment. Makes me feel lost big time. Overheating could trigger flames and hilarity.

- There is no single weak point on that thing besides plastering it with goo. Just munching away on it. Makes it like a moving extractor with mini guns. As skulk I like munching, but i miss a some variety. Skulks explode skill could come in handy there.

- Jump is overused. I would love to charge up a jump to get rid of aliens on my ankles, while i can't shoot anymore. Makes no sense for me to shoot all over my feet and then walk away like nothing happened.

- Buying it feels not so great. I loved the idea of the commander dropping it and marines needing it to be built. Though this would naturally courage "use-key-spamming" for the first marine to hop in. But there could be ways like dropping 2 of them in a package or sth. But all in all the "OMGDSCHG ITS ON NOW" feel is missing, same with Onos.

- Onos vs Exo needs big improvement. Right now its more like a hit-and-run battle for those two. I would love to see a special battle-system for those two.

- Destroying an exo is too much on the level of killing a marine. When this thing is going to get down, consequences should never be the same. It could lie there as wreck for a short period of time, explode while blasting everything away, marines too. et cetera.

- Beside the ARCS its also powered with its own battery, yeah? So where is the alien EMP skill for those?

- No hardcore melee laser chainsaw of doom as replacement for a minigun? (I mean, you wanted it to be a killing machine with dual mini guns, so why stop there?)

- Bit too fast for my opinion but you'll handle it.

Thanks for reading. Now post yours.

Comments

• elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    I would rather see it little less op versus aliens in a straight up battle, maybe bit less armor, a bit faster and ability to use phasegates and build. Its definitely fun to blast away everything, but id like it to be a bit more versatile.

Maybe make the minigun a bit weaker (to make it worth getting 2 over carrying just one because even that will destroy everything), and if you only carry one you can use the claw/hand for building. Phasegate usage could work if it was for example limited so that you have to stand in the gate for a couple of second to finally phase. At the time youre standing there, you take full damage and maybe cant even shoot so you cant just exploit the pg. When one exo is waiting to be phased, no one else can use the gate. Would give a little bit more flexibility without making it way too powerfull.
  • GreenFlameGreenFlame Join Date: 2011-03-17 Member: 86860Members
    I'd like:

<ul><li>Ability to exit/enter the Exo(Drop/Pick button)</li><li>Ability ability to lock/unlock the Exo for other players(with +Use button or a controller device for the 4th slot)</li><li>Animation for closing/opening the Cockpit</li><li>Bit more variety in the Exo's design(shape is squarish, or how to say it)</li><li>More comfortable-looking design for the Cockpit</li><li>No marine HUD for the Exo, it shall have it's own design for minimap and other things</li><li>The position of the miniguns on the First Person View seems to be bit strange</li><li>Jumpjets for the Exo, so jumps would be used not to dodge enemy but to jump onto something(I also like the idea about burning skulks with the fires by whoppaXXL)</li><li>Ability to short circuit to burn parasite/strike nearby enemy by the prise of HP/Personal Resources</li><li>I expected the claw to be less hand-like, more of a 3-spike-like-finger claw</li><li>Ability to grab/throw/squish skulks with the Claw</li><li>Ability to hit in melee mode with the miniguns(so the previous feature works for the Claw Exo modification)</li></ul>
    Perhaps like that
    Weapon 1: Shoot for minigun Grab Skulk for the Claw
    Weapon 2: Bash for minigun and the Claw
    Weapon #: squish/throw skulk

And this would be too much to ask, but maybe more Exo Modifications would be nice(maybe a more melee one or Exo with an Overshoulder Missile Array)

That's it for now =)
    And I like the Exo, I like a lot that it's more Mecha-like! Thanks for the great patch! =)
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--QuoteBegin-GreenFlame+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GreenFlame)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Ability ability to lock/unlock the Exo for other players(with +Use button or a controller device for the 4th slot)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is actually quite nice. You could handle that with a system that 50% of the purchase price from your wallet is given to the player who bought it in the first place. Or related to the damage.
  • DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
    edited August 2012
    I would like to second that the exosuit feels a bit too fast.

<ul><li>Movement in all directions can afford to be a bit slower.</li><li>Should sidestep sideways instead of run sideways as full speed.</li><li>Jumping exos feels a bit messy (though I understand the need to get around obstacles).</li><li>If it's made slower, it could use more armour to compensate for movement nerfs.</li></ul>

EDIT: Also, exos feel like they can path too close to walls, and have too much room to move around and clip inside of stuff.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1968802:date=Aug 30 2012, 02:24 PM:name=elmo9000)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elmo9000 @ Aug 30 2012, 02:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968802"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe make the minigun a bit weaker (to make it worth getting 2 over carrying just one because even that will destroy everything), and if you only carry one you can use the claw/hand for building. Phasegate usage could work if it was for example limited so that you have to stand in the gate for a couple of second to finally phase. At the time youre standing there, you take full damage and maybe cant even shoot so you cant just exploit the pg. When one exo is waiting to be phased, no one else can use the gate. Would give a little bit more flexibility without making it way too powerfull.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I kind of like this idea.

I can imagine it on pubs when you have a pg in the hive room and the exo is blocking the pg because he wants to rescue hisself while all the other marines die ;).
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited August 2012
    I'd like to see the cool-down penalty increase if an Exo overheats his weapons. Punish players not paying attention to their heat bars and give Fades and Skulks a bigger opportunity to strike.

Also, although this <i>may</i> be unneeded, (could just be pub play giving me trouble, haven't seen a competitive match in 217 yet).
    Have beacon also pull in all MACs. This gives the aliens the option of sending a couple of Fades to marine base to bust it up and force a beacon, leaving Exos out on the field vulnerable to ambushes.
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1969107:date=Aug 31 2012, 03:25 AM:name=EgoGamer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (EgoGamer @ Aug 31 2012, 03:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1969107"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Have beacon also pull in all MACs. This gives the aliens the option of sending a couple of Fades to marine base to bust it up and force a beacon, leaving Exos out on the field vulnerable to ambushes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like this
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My # 1 problem with Exo is the that its primary/secondary attacks are the wrong way around. Like rifle butt, the backup melee attack should be secondary and the main weapon primary. I realize this is not so much a problem for those of you, who have both attack keys on mouse, but me, I started playing FPS games with Wolfenstein 3D and much of my key layout dates back to 1992 and the rest has just been built on top of that ;)
  • askerasker Join Date: 2012-01-29 Member: 142449Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    I will second Squirreli's notion about the fire keys for the Exos. I use my right mouse button to move forward and have come to expect a weapon's primary attack to be bound to Mouse1. Having it the other way around might be fine for those using default controls, but for the rest of us, and for consistency with the other weapons in the game, there should at least be an option to have the buttons swapped when inside an Exo.
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    If you're going to give the exo the ability to grab a skulk give the skulk the ability to latch onto jetpackers, only fair right?

Honestly, exo is in a good place right now. MAssed up with support its a nightmare but solo or in small groups its killable, the issue is that its just not as good as jetpack +shotgun/grenade launcher but thats more of an issue with the latter being too good rather than the former being too bad.

Exos using phase gates would be broken, exos building the same.

They also need to alter macs slightly, stop them from repairing eachother and maybe make mass spamming them less effective...
  • pvthochpvthoch Join Date: 2012-03-28 Member: 149528Members
    edited September 2012
    afterburner and weilder
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    I would like it if the EXO has better "your under attack" feedback, alot of times in big fights, the only way I can tell that skulks are biting my bum is by watching my armor itself to see if it is going down.
  • DrDopehatDrDopehat Join Date: 2009-09-04 Member: 68696Members
    * Thermal vision..Its a robot suit with a monitor isn't it? Seems like a shame to let that go to waste

* The ability to open and close the cockpit hatch (gimmicky I know, but I'd like it)

* Let the Exos that have a hand, be able to pick up and operate 1 piece of normal marine equipment, ie. welder, grenade launcher, LMG, flamer etc..

* Make the movement of the Exo more clunky..currently it moves around like a omni-directional bumper car. if I want to turn around the whole thing (not just the torso) it'll take a bit of effort instead of just "going forward, going forward, going forwardZ0MGINSTANTLYGOINGBACKWARDSATFULLSPEED" ..I mean its a massive robot suit right?

* If just using the hand, let it do like..power punches of sorts. ie. you hit an alien and its sent flying backwards (for example)

* Internal drink mixer and/or hula girl...>_> *hides*
  • RiCexEaTeRRiCexEaTeR Join Date: 2010-05-10 Member: 71700Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think one handed exo should still be able to build things and weld. right now there is no disadvantage from one barrel vs 2 barrel exo (ie you will always want 2 barrel exo)

and the one handed exo's punch should stun anything except onos
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    A while ago the devs wrote about how the exo would have the ability to go in and out of a stationary mode where the fire power becomes greater but you obviously become more vulnerable to attacks. I would like to know if this idea is still planned or if it has been scrapped.
  • darkfictiondarkfiction Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75677Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1968802:date=Aug 30 2012, 12:24 PM:name=elmo9000)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elmo9000 @ Aug 30 2012, 12:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968802"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would rather see it little less op versus aliens in a straight up battle, maybe bit less armor, a bit faster and ability to use phasegates and build.[...]When one exo is waiting to be phased, no one else can use the gate. Would give a little bit more flexibility without making it way too powerfull.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think this calls for Super Gates! An upgraded phase gate that permits things the size of an Exo to come and go. This would allow for a balance, making the comm spend more res on researching new tech and creating a separate gate system entirely for the exo suits.

<!--quoteo(post=1970917:date=Sep 4 2012, 03:17 PM:name=RobustPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobustPenguin @ Sep 4 2012, 03:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1970917"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Exos using phase gates would be broken, exos building the same.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Unless those abilities required their own research before they became unlocked. Ie Super Gates 20tres to research and 20res for a Super Gate, and Exo Weld 10-15tres to research and the Exo has to spend 5-10pres to buy the welder attachment from the armory.

Also I would like Dual Miniguns to require 3 tech points so it makes it much more difficult to get, if the Onos costs 75pres and needs 3 techpoints for its stomp ability Dual Minigun Exo suits need 3 CCs.
  • IllidanIllidan Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19861Members
    Btw.: The 2 voice-menus aren't working while being in the exo. You can't call for orders or anything else! That should be fixed...
  • KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    edited September 2012
    Personally, I think the Exo needs some kind of buff although I'm not sure what to suggest exactly. The reason being that, despite how much the Alien players seem to like to complain about them, Heavy Armor + HMG/Grenade Launcher was way better than the Exos are. Almost the same amount of durability without sacrificing any of the utility. The only downside to Heavy Armor was 5% less movement speed, and they were a <i>lot</i> cheaper than Exos are, while Exos have a ton of downsides with only two upsides for 50-75 res. For starters, as has been suggested many times, letting one weapon Exos use a welding tool in the free hand would help bring them closer to what HA was.
  • darkfictiondarkfiction Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75677Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1975854:date=Sep 11 2012, 08:32 PM:name=Kopikat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kopikat @ Sep 11 2012, 08:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1975854"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Personally, I think the Exo needs some kind of buff although I'm not sure what to suggest exactly. The reason being that, despite how much the Alien players seem to like to complain about them, Heavy Armor + HMG/Grenade Launcher was way better than the Exos are. Almost the same amount of durability without sacrificing any of the utility. The only downside to Heavy Armor was 5% less movement speed, and they were a <i>lot</i> cheaper than Exos are, while Exos have a ton of downsides with only two upsides for 50-75 res. For starters, as has been suggested many times, letting one weapon Exos use a welding tool in the free hand would help bring them closer to what HA was.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you are comparing heavies in NS1 to Exos in NS2 you need to remember that an Onos could devour a Heavy and remove it completely from the fight.
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    Onos should have miniguns and jetpacks as well seriously. Game needs balance.

IF Exo gets all that, i want Onos that canfly with miniguns, deal?. :D
  • a®mena®men Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158182Members
    exo with the claw hand should be able to buy weapons from the armory to replace the hand. 50pres for the exo + w/e you buy from the armory to balance it out.

Shotgun/flamer/GL/welder attached as the left arm, would have all the ammo constraints as usual. So you would need to get those ammo drops to reload em, and it would give exos another little extra versatility
  • GrohmiGrohmi Join Date: 2012-08-10 Member: 155216Members
    I really like the idea when an exo is killed that he explodes! This will be awesome!
  • GreenFlameGreenFlame Join Date: 2011-03-17 Member: 86860Members
    Not from the alien perspective if it hurts. Maybe there could be self-destruction ability though(like Xenocide), but I think the button in the middle is for ejection =)
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1974503:date=Sep 10 2012, 02:33 AM:name=DrDopehat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DrDopehat @ Sep 10 2012, 02:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1974503"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->* Thermal vision..Its a robot suit with a monitor isn't it? Seems like a shame to let that go to waste

* The ability to open and close the cockpit hatch (gimmicky I know, but I'd like it)

* Let the Exos that have a hand, be able to pick up and operate 1 piece of normal marine equipment, ie. welder, grenade launcher, LMG, flamer etc..

* Make the movement of the Exo more clunky..currently it moves around like a omni-directional bumper car. if I want to turn around the whole thing (not just the torso) it'll take a bit of effort instead of just "going forward, going forward, going forwardZ0MGINSTANTLYGOINGBACKWARDSATFULLSPEED" ..I mean its a massive robot suit right?

* If just using the hand, let it do like..power punches of sorts. ie. you hit an alien and its sent flying backwards (for example)

* Internal drink mixer and/or hula girl...>_> *hides*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->+1<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    How about; clicking E (use) on MAC's results in MAC making contact (to weld) PLYR. Pressing E on MAC, then moving away will make the MAC follow EXO until such time as the EXO momentum is nil.
    MAC's are kind of like an arm.
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    Friendly fire. They have so much armour and damage with unlimited bullets. I think it would be fairer if they could kill their own team members when spraying. Marines with gl and exxo's are way OP in combination.
  • SkwallaSkwalla Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166492Members
    add the old exo suit the exo suit that are ingame is a mech not a exo

THIS is a real exo suit <a href="http://imgur.com/qAYol" target="_blank">http://imgur.com/qAYol</a>
    look more lighter and more mobile add it in game and delete the the 50 point mech and leve the 75 point mech as it is or whit a railgun and one mg
  • BearTornadoBearTornado Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166223Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1968780:date=Aug 30 2012, 04:15 AM:name=whoppaXXL)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whoppaXXL @ Aug 30 2012, 04:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968780"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- Onos vs Exo needs big improvement. Right now its more like a hit-and-run battle for those two. I would love to see a special battle-system for those two.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dual hand exo with the sole purpose of grabbing the onos by the horn and stopping it's charge. Upon grabbing the horn, the exo and onos, and a few marines with welders and gorges, fall into a sumo wrestling arena to try and push the other off the edge. The Gorges/Marines harass each other while trying to keep their combatant healed. First one to "die" gets knocked off the edge of the ring, skulks and marines alike in the crowd cheer, and confetti explodes everywhere as the match ends.

Bonus: Give the Exo and Onos the a mawashi (the thing sumo wrestlers wear) upon entering the arena.
  • HusarHusar Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169523Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2022259:date=Nov 13 2012, 06:37 PM:name=Skwalla)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skwalla @ Nov 13 2012, 06:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022259"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->add the old exo suit the exo suit that are ingame is a mech not a exo

THIS is a real exo suit <a href="http://imgur.com/qAYol" target="_blank">http://imgur.com/qAYol</a>
    look more lighter and more mobile add it in game and delete the the 50 point mech and leve the 75 point mech as it is or whit a railgun and one mg<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What does the semi-covered suit make more an exosuit than the full-covered? The term Exosuit - also known as exoskeleton - doesn't address the bulkiness of the suit but just the fact, that a layer surrounds tightly the exterior of an organism (or something else) to protect or support it.
  • biggiansbiggians Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168454Members
    Jesus, people actually think that the Exosuit is better than an Onos. Now I've heard everything. 1300 HP and 1000 armor with 200 damage every 1.1 seconds from an Onos is somehow weaker than 570 armor and duals that overheat after 5 seconds and deal 5 more damage than an LMG with W3. The Onos is the problem right now, especially since it comes out in 4-6 minutes. In any case, the suggestions that I like from this thread are the idea of making the hand more useful or the option of having something other than a 2nd minigun mounted to the arm.

The exosuit is slow enough. Its ability to "jump" is literally horrible and feels clunky.
  • HusarHusar Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169523Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2022400:date=Nov 13 2012, 08:41 PM:name=biggians)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biggians @ Nov 13 2012, 08:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2022400"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Jesus, people actually think that the Exosuit is better than an Onos.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Well, those people, me included, will find out very quickly that it isn't the case. And from that point won't charge an Onos solely with an Exo. The main basic rule of the Frontiersmen is: DON'T FIGHT ALONE. Marines are played differently. In the end there are asymmetric parties for that reason.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1300 HP and 1000 armor with 200 damage every 1.1 seconds from an Onos is somehow weaker than 570 armor and duals that overheat after 5 seconds and deal 5 more damage than an LMG with W3.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I think the fire rate compensates the lack of damage per bullet. Also you can toggle the dual guns, so while you fire one the other cools down but that method of course deals only half the damage. Therefor: don't fight alone.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Onos is the problem right now, especially since it comes out in 4-6 minutes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Yupp.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In any case, the suggestions that I like from this thread are the idea of making the hand more useful or the option of having something other than a 2nd minigun mounted to the arm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Hmm yes, something that would you make feel more useful without being overpowerd.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The exosuit is slow enough. Its ability to "jump" is literally horrible and feels clunky.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I friggin' hope and expect that the <b>jump of a half ton suit</b> feels clunky.