We can stop now.

countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
They have proven that they've got ideas on how to improve the performance (FPS doubled for me in 217/218). They have proven that almost every point one may think should be changed will be changed. After a certain amount of time, of course. They have proven to be one of the most awesome Game-Studios with an incredibly artistic intense game and a great sense for effects and atmosphere.
Now let's hope that they got more ideas for Client and Server performance. I am confident. And let's hope they bring Disco Flashlight back.

We can stop complaining now (I did never do, but of course there was some frustration from time to time).

Thanks UWE.

I'm going to play at 35-50 FPS now after playing at 15 before. No wait, all the good servers are full. DAMMIT!

Comments

• antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    Nah, one of the reason they make the changes they need to make is in response to the communities complains. If there is a flaw in the gameplay it is our duty to yell and scream and cry and whine until it is fixed.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited August 2012
    The point of "complaining" is to help them by pointing out things that the paying customers (and likely the would-be customers) find to be out of place. They can't fix what they aren't aware of.
    That's what you do when you take part in a beta.

You can stop being a useful beta tester, but I won't. Thanks for the thread!
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    I am mainly talking about the really negative stuff. You guys should know what I mean, you are reading these forums. I'm not talking about feedback.
  • koewikoewi Join Date: 2007-08-25 Member: 61984Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    im glad u got such a big performance increase ...
    my first impression is, that nothing has changed :(
    still got 15 fps, even if im running alone ...
    2ghz quad core here :( no overclocking possible
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    I am usually running my E6420 C2D @ 3.4Ghz, but tried 2.13Ghz out for some testing. It is indeed quite unplayable, but it is also lower than the minimum requirements which are:

Minimum System Requirements:

Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.6 ghz
    Memory: 1GB for XP / 2GB for Vista/7
    Graphics: DirectX 9 compatible video card with 1GB, Shader model 2.0 ATI X800, NVidia 8600 or better

However I still think it is more an issue with my 2Gb DDR2 and HD4850 512Mb video card,will test some more on a 1Gb tomorrow to see if that changes anything. The thing is though, currently the 2.6-3.0Ghz seems to be the bare minimum...
    edited August 2012
    yeah i just hoped, that the 2 additional cores will get this working ... but i just realized that they dont help at all ...
    so i keep waiting ... maybe the game will at some point run with at least more than 25 fps ... like bf3 does ...
    had this topic before in another thread

specs:
    Phenom II x4 N930 (2GHz) --> grrr ... the bottleneck
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5650HD
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    Win 7
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1967875:date=Aug 28 2012, 09:27 PM:name=koewi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (koewi @ Aug 28 2012, 09:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967875"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yeah i just hoped, that the 2 additional cores will get this working ... but i just realized that they dont help at all ...
    so i keep waiting ... maybe the game will at some point run with at least more than 25 fps ... like bf3 does ...
    had this topic before in another thread<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

it's kinda been done to death..
    bf3 runs like it does because it has like 100 times as many people making it as NS2 does

from the perspective of a programmer, it's very hard to make the graphics side of the game massively parallel (especially now that it's all designed and it isn't like that)

there's no easy answer to this, but I really doubt bf3 is running well for you on a 2ghz cpu all the same!
    edited August 2012
    :D its running good enough, for some descent play ...
    on some maps its kinda horrible, your right, but there are still enough maps i get never under 25fps ...
    and of course there are many more people developing bf3, but the graphics are way better too ;) ...
    playing both games on the same settings ... 1280x720, everything additional turned off ...

something completely diffrent ... is anybody else experiencing 3-6 second freezes when selecting units or structures as a commander?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1967837:date=Aug 28 2012, 05:36 PM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Aug 28 2012, 05:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967837"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nah, one of the reason they make the changes they need to make is in response to the communities complains. If there is a flaw in the gameplay it is our duty to yell and scream and cry and whine until it is fixed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Or just provide helpful feedback in a civilized and professional manner?.... lol
    <!--quoteo(post=1967863:date=Aug 29 2012, 01:17 AM:name=koewi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (koewi @ Aug 29 2012, 01:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967863"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->im glad u got such a big performance increase ...
    my first impression is, that nothing has changed :(
    still got 15 fps, even if im running alone ...
    2ghz quad core here :( no overclocking possible<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So I got lucky that my system likes the changes (phenom xII ati5650) - but when they say they have more ideas, they'll have them. That's what that patch proved. It seems to be possible to run that engine fluidly (not really yet) on relative low specs like mine.
    but ur Phenom xII got more than 2GHz on the cores right?
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    <!--quoteo(post=1967837:date=Aug 29 2012, 10:36 AM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Aug 29 2012, 10:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967837"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nah, one of the reason they make the changes they need to make is in response to the communities complains. If there is a flaw in the gameplay it is our duty to yell and scream and cry and whine until it is fixed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    My motto
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Feedback is great, as long as is civilized and not insulting.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Highly illogical post OP.

You're saying that because things are progressing so well in the current development environment, we should change the current development environment by ceasing our demands on UWE.
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think what he is trying to say is that since we just got such a great patch, maybe we could have less of the highly negative comments about how this game will forever fail and never be worth playing, and instead have more feedback about what works, what is broken, and how we can tweak it even better before 1.0.

However since this an internet forum, I guess the best we can do is to ignore those that are yelling for attention, and instead try and listen more to those who provide better feedback...

I'm sure that some parts of the game makes it unplayable for 1 person, but in general it seems that people are happy about the direction of the game the last few patches.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1968195:date=Aug 29 2012, 03:07 PM:name=Grimfang)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Grimfang @ Aug 29 2012, 03:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968195"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->However since this an internet forum, I guess the best we can do is to ignore those that are yelling for attention<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Or expressing the own rage about such people and getting edited by Align... -.-

Nah, you are right. I hope the devs don't look at the forums for at least 3 days.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    The more anger the better.

Anger means one of two things; people who really like your game and want it to be good, or haters who are inclined to hate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2005-05-15 Member: 51659
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1967919:date=Aug 28 2012, 09:26 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Aug 28 2012, 09:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967919"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or just provide helpful feedback in a civilized and professional manner?.... lol<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    From which planet do you originate from?!

The only viable way to criticize is to annoy the one guy who can fix it. Because everyone only listens to people who're insulting you of course, that's common knowledge! *sarcasm off*
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    It really does make a difference when criticism is presented in a constructive manner. While some people may think that screaming loudly about how much a patch sucks, and how NS2 is going to fail is a way to get the attention of the devs and get us to change things, it tends to have the opposite effect, and just makes us want to ignore those posters and avoid the forums.

This patch has been a great example of a lot of constructive feedback presented in a respectful manner about some of the problems with it, and has been helpful to us to generate a list of some changes/fixes. You've probably seen more dev activity on here, as well, as a result of a more positive environment.

We don't expect there to be no critical feedback, just be conscious of the tone and manner in which you are presenting it.

--Cory
    <!--quoteo(post=1968077:date=Aug 29 2012, 09:23 AM:name=koewi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (koewi @ Aug 29 2012, 09:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1968077"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but ur Phenom xII got more than 2GHz on the cores right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've got 2,8 per core. But it's WAY worse than the i5 I could have choses back then, it's the first Phenom xII mobile version. I've got a lot of trouble especially with the UT3-engine.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I so wish that I could fit your reply in my signature cory. Its amazing how many people don't believe that is the case. Well said.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    marine movement was definitely boosted by a great amount this patch, but then the devs really took a backstep in other directions, the commander hud is intolerable, the minimap is insanely see through and hard to read,
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    edited August 2012
    Really VeNeM? Intolerable? Surely that is a bit hyperbole...?

I agree with the OP, time and again, UWE has defied the predictions of failure cast at them, returning instead a challenge to our imaginations of even more brilliant ideas to come.

Like the OP may be very subtly suggesting, 'eating humble pie' is competing with 'eating one's own words' as a possible past time for many detractors right now.

Well, except through a classic display of concieted human nature no ones complaining much and are immersed in the game ... good.