Game crashes when I press fire (Build 217)

[AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
<u>I loaded a map to test the Exo and I got a lot of those warnings:</u>

models/alien/alien.surface_shader:82 : warning X3571: pow(f, e) will not work for negative f, use abs(f) or conditionally handle negative values if you expect them

Error: Sound 'marine/common/pickup_Exosuit' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
Error: Sound 'marine/common/Exosuit_empty' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
models/alien/lerk/lerk.surface_shader:81 : warning X3571: pow(f, e) will not work for negative f, use abs(f) or conditionally handle negative values if you expect them

models/alien/fade/fade.surface_shader:81 : warning X3571: pow(f, e) will not work for negative f, use abs(f) or conditionally handle negative values if you expect them

models/alien/cyst/cyst.surface_shader:107 : warning X3571: pow(f, e) will not work for negative f, use abs(f) or conditionally handle negative values if you expect them

<u>Then I started testing this 3 times:</u>
I gave myself a shotgun/bought an Exosuit and as soon as i started firing the game crashes before the muzzle flash effect. Jumping around with the Exo and punching walls is fine. Also firing the lmg/pistol is still ok and the rest of the game is working. Didn't tested the flamethrower/gl yet.

Pls tell me this is not the 2nd build in a row where I can't play...

I am using an ATI Radeon HD 5850 with the drivers from the 27.07.2012 but due to a bug/canceled support for the card, the driver version is shown as 8.982.0.0
Windows Vista 32bit
E 8600

Comments

• douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Might be some issues with the minigun firing shader. try validating cache?
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    edited August 2012
    That was the first thing I did. Seems to be fine, nothing is missing.

But it happend with the shotgun as well...I will try the flamethrower/GL tomorrow.

Edit: I am reading the changelog right now and found this -> "Most weapon attack effects are now triggered client side only to reduce traffic." Maybe something is wrong with the trigger?
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I (and it sounds like most people) have played several games without any trouble, so it could be something weird relating to a crash clientside, not necessarily a bug in the code. Kouji mentioned in another thread that you could try deleting the contents of your "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2" (but leave the folder) and it could help in removing some graphical glitches.
    Unfortunately that didn't help. It still crashes. But thanks for the hint :D
    I tested the problem a bit more today on one of my custom maps. The console showed many remarks of models that couldn't be loaded. I guess they were removed in 217, but there were no shader messages this time.

Everything seems to run faster for me but a few long freezings now and then. This time I got the checkerboard problem again, that appeared for me since build 216. When the checherboard textures appeared, I loaded the shotgun and the flamethrower, fired and the game didn't crash. When I joined the readyroom the missloaded textures where gone. The same happens when I suicide while I join a team. But as soon as I am spawning, the checkerboard textures reappear. Then NS2 crashed caused by a runtime error. Thats a new one, never had this before.

Every other game is running fine. Boy oh boy, I whish I could play NS2 again!
    maybe try updating video drivers?
    edited August 2012
    It didn't help in build 216, but I installed the newest video drivers. It didn't had an effect, the checkerboard textures remain. I noticed that after they appear and I go back to the readyroom, that a few textures in the RR are only loaded in a very low resolution. But with the old and the new drivers, the game didn't crash again when firing the shotgun. Could be something wrong with my video card memory and the last 2 builds, just guessing into the blue?

Edit: I forgot to mention that using and leaving the CC seems to cause more freezes in this build. And it takes everytime like 7secs till the commander interface or the 3rd person view is loaded. The commander IF is also most likely the first that gets the checkerboards. If I leave the chair, they spread to building descriptions etc. before the whole screen is covered with them.

<u>
    From the console:</u>

Error: Invalid format for resource 'ui/marine_commander_tabs.dds'
    Error: Couldn't lock file for resource 'ui/marine_commander_tabs.dds
    Error: Invalid format for resource 'ui/unitstatus_neutral.dds'
    Error: Couldn't lock file for resource 'ui/marine_commander_tabs.dds
    Error: Invalid format for resource 'ui/unitstatus_marine.dds'
    Error: Couldn't lock file for resource 'ui/unitstatus_marine.dds
    Error: Couldn't lock file for resource 'ui/unitstatus_marine.dds
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/marine/welder/welder_view_spec.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/lerk/lerk_normal.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/lerk/lerk_spec.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/lerk/lerk_opac.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/lerk/lerk.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/onos/onos_spec.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/onos/onos.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/onos/onos_normal.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/onos/onos_illum.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/hive/hive_illum.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/hive/hive_spec.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/hive/hive_normal.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/hive/hive.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'cinematics/vfx_materials/vfx_lerk_spore_animated.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/whip/whip_normal.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/whip/whip.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/props/refinery/refinery_rocks_mine_bottom_normal.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/props/refinery/refinery_rocks_mine_bottom.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/props/refinery/refinery_rocks_mine_bottom_spec.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/harvester/harvester_illum.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/harvester/harvester.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/alien/harvester/harvester_normal.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'materials/refinery/refinery_rock_common_normal.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'materials/refinery/refinery_rock_common.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'materials/refinery/refinery_rock_common_spec.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/props/refinery/refinery_rocks_pile.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/props/refinery/refinery_rocks_pile_normal.dds' (invalid format)
    Error: Couldn't load 'models/props/refinery/refinery_rocks_pile_spec.dds' (invalid format)
    Main Menu Initialized at Version: 217
    Error: Couldn't lock file for resource 'ui/menu/tv_glare.dds
    Error: Invalid format for resource 'ui/menu/tv_glare.dds'
    Error: Couldn't lock file for resource 'ui/menu/server_select_bg.dds
    Error: Invalid format for resource 'ui/menu/server_select_bg.dds'
    Client disconnected (127.0.0.1) Server shutdown
    Build 218 and I am still crashing when the Exo is about to start firing. This is so frustrating...3 builds now that are causing problems for me. At least I was able to send in some reports. Is someone looking into this bug?