Preemptive Exo Feedback

MrRadicalEdMrRadicalEd Turrent Master Join Date: 2004-08-13 Member: 30601Members
<div class="IPBDescription">based on recent forum discussions</div>This is sparked by the comments by Ironhorse: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=120377&view=findpost&p=1967463" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=1967463</a>

My concern is breaking the continuity of control for the players. Things just need to make sense.

In a FPS, primary fire is "always" left mouse click. If we are talking about a separate weapon, then it is next in your inventory- press 2, next inventory, etc..

and let's extend this to other classes as well. It just makes it easier to get in the game rather than remember that you want to shoot aliens, not punch them.

then again, if there are special key bindings to fix this, then a lot of us should be happy.

Comments

• RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
    It's not that hard to people who have played FPS games where you can dual wield things- LMB is left, RMB is right, in most of the games.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    i agree that it might be a bit unintuitive regarding rifle + riflebutt being binded the opposite way.

how are dual-miniguns working, do they always fire at the same time or can you fire them seperately?
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    Not a problem in my experience

The exo is the only character with two "unique hands" on the screen (left and right are different unless you dual wield), so in that sense it feels totally normal to have it control the way it does.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1967549:date=Aug 28 2012, 01:11 PM:name=Laosh'Ra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Aug 28 2012, 01:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967549"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i agree that it might be a bit unintuitive regarding rifle + riflebutt being binded the opposite way.

how are dual-miniguns working, do they always fire at the same time or can you fire them seperately?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    left click, left gun, right click, right gun.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1967562:date=Aug 28 2012, 06:26 PM:name=Sewlek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sewlek @ Aug 28 2012, 06:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967562"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->left click, left gun, right click, right gun.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, but why not make glove right hand, gun left hand the default weapon configuration?
  • mushookeesmushookees Join Date: 2008-03-26 Member: 63967Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1967588:date=Aug 28 2012, 06:21 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Aug 28 2012, 06:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1967588"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, but why not make glove right hand, gun left hand the default weapon configuration?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you would think that would just be common sense but i guess the devs are left handed lol ?
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I imagine they wanted it on the right to match with all the other weapons, but it is a valid point. Why not just have the minigun on the left?

The only issue I can think of is that perhaps it looks a little weird. Our western brains read images from left to right, similar to books.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--coloro:orange--><span style="color:orange"><!--/coloro--><sup>Phased to General Discussion.</sup><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    edited August 2012
    I will also, before even playing it, say that I agree that the single minigun should be swapped to left hand. In the IGN video at 11 minutes, even charlie who has been presumably playing the hell out of the exo for a while, messed up and left clicked when he wanted to shoot.

Its hugely counter intuitive, even for experienced players, and needs to change.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    I prefer the idea of the minigun in the right hand, and enjoy the fact that getting in an exosuit switches your gameplay up from primary/secondary to left hand/right hand. Just like the Onos feels different from every other lifeform due to its low speed, the Exo should feel different from every other weapon in the game.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-How fast do welders repair exosuits? Com station fast? Or Gorge slow?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Com station fast it seems. Armory heals exosuits, so hump those armories.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Have jetpacks cost been increased to 15 p.res? Cheap-jetpacks welder pocket repairer marine will make exosuits nearly impossible to take down if welders heal too fast as its hard enough to kill an a3 jet pack as it is. No sense in nerfing gorge/onos partnership if jetwelder/exosuit is just going to take its place.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Jetpacks still 10 p.res.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Does dual weapon exosuit require 3 tech points like how the onos stomp requires 3 hives? Or are exo-suits allowed full tech with just two tech points?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Dual weapon exosuits only require two tech points and only an additional 20 t.res from exosuit 1. 40 t.res in total for exosuit 2. While stomp still requires 3 hives.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Are onos finally going to be buffed back up from it's pitiful state to actually handle exosuits, or are they still a laughable mess that no one on aliens touches and the marines laugh at?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Onos seem a bit faster. Not sure if that it will even help much, they're still incredibly weak.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Do onos finally get a second hive ability?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nope.avi

Exosuits looks to be onos-release broken.