Early Rp Defending - Are Mines Enough?

McMastersMcMasters Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8536Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">And, if so, how do you set them up?</div> So, are mines enough for early resource defense? They certainly cost less than a TF + the fun that goes with it. If so, how many do you need to place, and in what pattern? (I'm assuming two types of RPs to defend - the 'in a corridor' ones, and the 'in the middle of the floor' ones)

Comments

• Nemesis_ZeroNemesis_Zero Old European Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 75Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    In case you've got some nice free space around your nozzle, it's best to simply drop about eight of them around it.
    Let a marine go there occasionaly to 'refresh' the mines, and pray no Fade walks by.
  • StormehStormeh Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3541Members
    edited November 2002
    No, marines should not stand back and defend the resource nozzles. They are needed for further expansion. If you dont grab enough nozzles at the start of the game, you are doomed (In most cases).

Early nozzles doesnt need much protection. In my experience its more important to grab as many as possible and then fortify a hive. After that is done you can start to secure your nozzles.
  • McMastersMcMasters Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8536Members, Constellation
    Exactly what I'm asking is, how do you secure those early nozzles? Will mines do? If so, how many, etc. I'll try the 'eight mines' deal next time I comm.
  • tanathostanathos Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4949Members
    Yup... cuz if u don't fortify them.. u'll have me chomping your nozzles behind ur back (before they produced enough resources to be efficient)
  • LarofeticusLarofeticus Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1764Members
    the more mines the better, minimum is to use 2 buys worth (10), place them on the ground, in a circle around the tower, about 6, then stand on the nozzle, and place the remaining 4 directly on top. With more you can place more on top, or make the circle more dense, but 10 should keep it safe from 1-2 curious skulks, until the 2nd hive goes up. It's also a very good idea to go hunting near hives for alien rt's, kill them, then mine them up in a similar fasion
  • The_FinchThe_Finch Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8498Members
    Just throwing things down, be they turrets or mines, are usually easy to either bypass or defeat.

The first two things to go down when I attack a Marine outpost are turret factories and phase gates. Turrets by themselves get a low threat rating. Turrets with Marine support, with a phase gate there make me cringe. If an outpost is really that important, have one guy there to support it. That forces me as an Alien to change my tried and true strategies for single-handedly demolishing your little turret/mine farm.

Use mines. But use them in conjuntion with turrets. Drop mines around the turret factory. That's what I'm going to go for. If I'm a Skulk, I need to be right next to the TF. If there are mines there, that will either force me to get support or to die to destroy the mines. Either way, time is lost and Marines can get there. If I'm a Fade, I'll just Acid Rocket the mines.
  • McMastersMcMasters Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8536Members, Constellation
    Right. This isn't to protect anyhting for any period of time - it is to just keep one skulk from going 'oo, easy target'. TF's are expensive. Mines are cheap.

Oh, and anyone know the max mine amounts carryable?
  • LarofeticusLarofeticus Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1764Members
    one marine can carry 5 mines, for a cost of 8 rp
  • tommy14tommy14 Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8839Members
    1. mines on ground are 2x effective, alines have to step on them and so they are ON TOP OF the explosion. not on a wall far away.....

2. in begin. IF you have good marines moving out, give them mines. i like to mine first resource, which they carry, then leapfrog to 2nd & 3rd resource and fort them up with turrets. then with more recourcers take an empty/weak hive, and build a second base.

2nd base has armory = you can put mines around it too.

hard part is getting good marines who do not drop mines on main base right away....or in corridors where they are near useless.
  • zodazoda Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7175Members
    mines will do, they're cheap and effective.. there is no need to defend every single nozzle, it is more important to spend those resources on a whole new base, once you get more bases and attack the enemy you will have control of most the map and getting mroe resources will be easy... always try to get their hives.. they make good bases.. or makeing a base right outside a hive with siege... then you will destroy it and they wont get in or you can take over the whole thing after siege making it even harder to gain back.