Khaara upgrades from spawn time.

EesuEesu Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155099Members
It takes a marine 2 clicks to buy an upgrade, and they automatically get their weapon / armor upgrades on spawning.

A problem I currently see in game is spawn camping from the marines. It was made more difficult for aliens to spawn camp marines by the addition of the knockback effect on IP's and PG's. However marines can more easily spawn camp aliens, especially with shotguns.

Since alien spawn was changed to waves, partially to help with that I believe, after an alien dies there can be quite a long wait time to respawn. I think aliens ought to be allowed to choose upgrades to spawn with during this time (obviously only from available ugrades). This would help to prevent a skulk from spawning and immediately dieing by a single shotgun shell (assuming carapace or feign death was available).

It would also help on the time front. It does not take long to evolve upgrades, but if you are an alien and have to run to a newborn hive to defend it, it feels like forever. Whereas marines spawn with their upgrades and are quite effective without having to purchase higher level weapons. A newborn alien is quite the opposite at the same point in a game.

If my idea isn't clear. It is to essentially allow aliens to choose upgrades to evolve while they are waiting to spawn.

Comments

• RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    It would be smart allowing aliens to choose upgrades and such while waiting and evolving.

i already mentioned in another thread that this is one of the problems.

Marines respawn instant well super fast, they get weapons and gear instantly, they have phasegate to get instantly to where they need to go.

Aliens takes ages to respawn, then you have to re-evolve for upgrades, then you have to get to where you need to go.

Its like aliens have all the downsides.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    +1.
    the spawning time could be prolonged to represent the initial evolution upgrading. this way you keep the tradeoff of not chosing all evolutions yet, in order to quickly defend. the current balance will not be changed, in theory. in practise it might save you 1-3 seconds and prevent the nasty spawnkilling.

one could go all the way and already let people pick their lifeform, but i think that would be too much of a drastic change without testing this first.
  • botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1965752:date=Aug 22 2012, 03:49 AM:name=Laosh'Ra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Aug 22 2012, 03:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965752"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1.
    the spawning time could be prolonged to represent the initial evolution upgrading. this way you keep the tradeoff of not chosing all evolutions yet, in order to quickly defend. the current balance will not be changed, in theory. in practise it might save you 1-3 seconds and prevent the nasty spawnkilling.

one could go all the way and already let people pick their lifeform, but i think that would be too much of a drastic change without testing this first.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +2
  • EesuEesu Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155099Members
    Well the devs have said that they don't like effects or abilities that take control away from the player. And at the moment, the biggest thing that does this is the respawn timer. Often having to sit for 5-10 seconds waiting for the next respawn wave.

Maybe if it is just limited to one upgrade to choose before spawn. Adding time to the respawn would make sense, except it screws with the wave concept.

I dont think it would mess with overall balance very much. Mostly it would give aliens a better ability to survive a stubborn egg camper, and to more quickly respond to a hive rush. There are a few hive locations that can essentially be killed by 1 or 2 players with jetpacks and GL's because the eggs and spawning skulks get killed instantly.

Also to note that marine respawn time can be directly affected by building more IP's. It's why marines can turtle and aliens really can't.
    On that topic maybe make marine spawn times a function of how many IP's they have, verses how many players they have, with diminishing returns.
  • DarkomicronDarkomicron Join Date: 2010-11-24 Member: 75256Members
    It sounds like a really good idea to me. Although it might simplify the game a bit. It's a good simplification where some 'redundant' actions are removed (as a skulk, morphing to a skulk with upgrades) and serves to buff the alien respawn a bit. Which is a good thing in my opinion.

What should not be possible is spawning as a different lifeform (i.e. dying and morphing to a gorge while dead).
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    <!--quoteo(post=1966057:date=Aug 23 2012, 07:46 PM:name=Darkomicron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Darkomicron @ Aug 23 2012, 07:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1966057"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It sounds like a really good idea to me. Although it might simplify the game a bit. It's a good simplification where some 'redundant' actions are removed (as a skulk, morphing to a skulk with upgrades) and serves to buff the alien respawn a bit. Which is a good thing in my opinion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1
    <!--quoteo(post=1966057:date=Aug 23 2012, 07:46 PM:name=Darkomicron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Darkomicron @ Aug 23 2012, 07:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1966057"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What should not be possible is spawning as a different lifeform (i.e. dying and morphing to a gorge while dead).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Any reasons for this or just cos you don't like the idea of it? Sounds like a fantastic idea to me, imagine having to fear lerks or fades spawning when you attack a hive? just skulks is bad enough, but i want that extra level!
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Because being vulnerable when evolving is an important part of balance for pretty much that reason. Assaulting a home base is hard enough for either side.