Gorge Nerf?

SlamHanniganSlamHannigan Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153952Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Details within</div>Just got out of a game won completely with gorges. Now that's not to discredit the obvious advantage of well-played fades and agile skulks, we were clearly up against a very good alien team. What I mean is, gorges carried the entire victory, and they definitely need a nerf.

The HP and armor the gorge has is about where it ought to be, I feel, and carapace scales very well for them. Their movement speed and slide speed are fine, and I have exactly no issue with free clogs. What I do have an issue with is this: heal spray is far harder than it should be to out-damage, and hydras are far too durable for something the aliens can construct, deconstruct, and move around for free. They should either cost p-res, or get a significant HP nerf to make up for the fact that they can be placed indefinitely. Marines have no such luxury with static defense.

As far as the heal spray goes, as I said, I was in a match shooting a gorge point-blank with a level 3 shotgun. He continued to heal-spray himself and the hydras he had, to the degree that none could be killed. I ended up having to retreat (Yes, my shots were landing, no I'm not a baddie. Except for marine command, I'm kind of garbage at that.) I'm sorry, but if I'm a marine rocking level 3 weapons and armor, and I'm facing a gorge one-on-one, I should be able to thoroughly destroy him.

Gorges are meant to be support units, which not only means the team needs their support, but it also means they need the support of their team. As it stands now, gorges can run off and do their own thing and be virtually assured that they won't die. It needs to be changed.

Comments

• NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    Yeah gorges die pretty easily. A few shotgun blasts and they're down. But I like gorges :3
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    If the gorge was standing behind his hydras you may of been shooting his hydras. So you were hitting but not alway hitting the gorge maybe. I have a contrasting opinion of yours. I have never had a problem with hydras myself unless there are like 6 or more or something. Doesn't mean that there isn't a problem. I just havn't seen it. In games where I am not trying I seek out gorges and try to kill them. If I know there is a gorge I find him, run him down, and kill him(or try to). Usually something else gets me because I am deep in alien territory. If I kill the gorge, a whip often gets me on the way out. My point is I often seek out gorges and I don't see a problem. I just run past the hydras and shoot the gorge, unless there are clogs.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    edited August 2012
    I've never been able to keep myself alive w/ healspray + adrenaline + carapace against a LVL 3 shotty marine.

Gorge is already boring to play as it is and making them die easier is not a good solution.
  • H3lixH3lix Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154722Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I have never had an issue with a gorge unless there were 2 of them or 1 gorge with 6 hydras. Gorges are 9/10 an easy kill if handled properly especially if they try to belly slide rather than stick next to their hydras. Bellyslide is pretty much asking to die.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    A few builds ago they made hydras deploy very quickly, especially off the infestation. I think that is probably the issue here.

Healspray is fine, being able to defend against 2-3 marines once you are setup is fine. Only problem is gorges tearing down and setting up hydras extremely aggressively.

All that said, I find gorges easy to kill. 1 clip, and if you were a bad shot follow up with the pistol. If they are setting up then charge the gorge, run past the hydras and finish him. Gorges having a cog wall is the only reason you can lose to it 1v1.
  • VoodooHexVoodooHex Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153264Members
    Really? Nerf heal spray? It has already been nerfed. How useless do you want the gorge to be? If not for bile bomb i would say just remove the gorge and replace with 'Evolve to Potato Sack'.
  • LPCLPC Join Date: 2002-04-07 Member: 384Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    do you want fries with that?
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1965590:date=Aug 21 2012, 08:04 PM:name=SlamHannigan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SlamHannigan @ Aug 21 2012, 08:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965590"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As far as the heal spray goes, as I said, I was in a match shooting a gorge point-blank with a level 3 shotgun. He continued to heal-spray himself and the hydras he had, to the degree that none could be killed. I ended up having to retreat (Yes, my shots were landing, no I'm not a baddie. Except for marine command, I'm kind of garbage at that.) I'm sorry, but if I'm a marine rocking level 3 weapons and armor, and I'm facing a gorge one-on-one, I should be able to thoroughly destroy him.

Gorges are meant to be support units, which not only means the team needs their support, but it also means they need the support of their team. As it stands now, gorges can run off and do their own thing and be virtually assured that they won't die. It needs to be changed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sounds like the good ol' hit reg problems?
    Anyways, I think one marine (whatever weapons level) should not be able to own a good gorge with 3 hydras while healing. Because if he could, hydra bases would be useless. Right?
    Gorge with 3 hydras vs marine lvl3 weapons
    1vs1 = gorge wins
    1vs2 = ?
    1vs3 = gorge loses, needs team backup.

I'd handle the balance like that.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    edited August 2012
    Gorge should lose 1v1 vs a 0/0 marine even with carapace.

The only reason it wouldn't is due to the fault of the marine or the gigantic hydra hitbox atm.

Gorge is supposed to always need backup. That's the purpose of a support role lifeform.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1965646:date=Aug 21 2012, 04:41 PM:name=eh?)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eh? @ Aug 21 2012, 04:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965646"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorge should lose 1v1 vs a 0/0 marine even with carapace.

The only reason it wouldn't is due to the fault of the marine or the gigantic hydra hitbox atm.

Gorge is supposed to always need backup. That's the purpose of a support role lifeform.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wat.

What is the point of the gorge then if it cannot secure against a single marine? Hope you aren't giving the devs these terrible ideas.

I agree with what another poster said:

1v1 - Gorge wins and holds the position
    2v1 - Gorge can hold if skilled and bunkered up.
    3v1 - Marines overwhelm position unless they are morons.

This is the current state of things, and how it should stay. Besides grenades, a lone marine should not win vs a fortified gorge.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1965653:date=Aug 21 2012, 04:05 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Aug 21 2012, 04:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965653"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wat.

What is the point of the gorge then if it cannot secure against a single marine? Hope you aren't giving the devs these terrible ideas.

This is the current state of things, and how it should stay. Besides grenades, a lone marine should not win vs a fortified gorge.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Depends on the position. I wouldn't want a gorge to be able to secure courtyard in docking with just hydras. In a small corridor sure, I feel a gorge should be able to defend itself.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1965663:date=Aug 21 2012, 06:57 PM:name=james888)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (james888 @ Aug 21 2012, 06:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965663"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Depends on the position. I wouldn't want a gorge to be able to secure courtyard in docking with just hydras. In a small corridor sure, I feel a gorge should be able to defend itself.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^this

It REALLY says something if 3 hydras + a gorge are not designed to hold off a 0/0 marine. That should never be the case, since that would prove completely that hydras are worthless. WTF would hydras be able to do on their own... or ever?
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    Suprising the enemy so that they are unprepared is a legit strategy - an unexpected gorge rush should win you the game, of course if marines are prepared to counter it then you're stuffed.
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gorges were much more fragile in NS1, even with cara!
    And they had a reasonable and believable range on bilebomb, contrary to the NS2 version going farther than GL!
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1965618:date=Aug 22 2012, 06:11 AM:name=VoodooHex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VoodooHex @ Aug 22 2012, 06:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965618"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->just remove the gorge and replace with 'Evolve to Potato Sack'.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

oh my.. im still laughing
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    currently that's how the gorge functions, hes a trench trooper instead of a support Manager. Only way to nerf the problem is to change the role.
  • iKossuiKossu Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11593Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1965706:date=Aug 22 2012, 05:45 AM:name=weezl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weezl @ Aug 22 2012, 05:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965706"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorges were much more fragile in NS1, even with cara!
    And they had a reasonable and believable range on bilebomb, contrary to the NS2 version going farther than GL!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I used to play celerity Gorge very much in NS1 and I think doing the dance of death around an alien RT with a marine was a form of art. I killed countless marines with spit and healing spray that way. So in my opinion, the spit damage at 40 is a tad too high and carapace grants too much armor early game. Just like it does almost with every lifeform. <i><insert comment about replacing cara with a passive armor boost somehow related to number of hives></i>

And I too think that bile bomb range should be reconsidered.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1965653:date=Aug 22 2012, 12:05 AM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Aug 22 2012, 12:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965653"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wat.

This is the current state of things, and how it should stay. Besides grenades, a lone marine should not win vs a fortified gorge.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah i'd have to agree with that, and I also think that it should stay like that too.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Currently i don't like the gorgies role, it's entirely out of place and it would fit more in a non res based came as opposed to a res based game. :/
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1966024:date=Aug 23 2012, 05:56 AM:name=AuroN2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AuroN2 @ Aug 23 2012, 05:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1966024"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Currently i don't like the gorgies role, it's entirely out of place and it would fit more in a non res based came as opposed to a res based game. :/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes but they are making it so the gorge needs to use pres for hydras again, which should be good news for you.
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    Are they making those hydras any tougher, and are they removing the 3 hydra cap?
  • KisleKisle Join Date: 2006-12-25 Member: 59229Members
    for me it feels like gorges healspray is just to strong, the self healing value and the structure healing is really incredible.
    ( in the early game )

but as soon as GL´s are out, gorges become kind of useless, you cant even support an onos, because only 1 Gl will own
    you very fast.
  • schuschu Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154768Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    a GL should kill a gorge...it takes an AA to get one and then research the GL and then use your own pres to buy a GL....gorges are only 10 res..

If my gl didn't kill the gorge i'd be extremely concerned
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The hydra hitbox is the issue - its massive.