Synergising Upgrades

EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
edited August 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
I was trying to think up ways to make the regeneration and carapace combination less desirable, and thus perhaps restore to the player full control over which upgrades they would like. Then an idea came to me, what if some upgrades, or all of them (though that may be difficult), directly magnified the benefit of other upgrades? Or even changed how they function all together?

For example, carapace and regeneration. Perhaps when taken together, regeneration could only heal armour, but at an increased rate and works while under fire. It increases your combat survivability but still requires you to retreat to a gorge/base for healing.

I'm not sure what could be included for other combinations, (anything else I came up with seemed useless and contrived), but I think the above could work pretty well. And I'm aware that this hasn't a hope in hell of being in the game before 1.0. :)

Would also need to address celerity and adrenaline for the Lerk too though, if anyone has any ideas. :) Though perhaps that combination can be forgiven, since without carapace they die to one well-placed shotgun blast.

Comments

• GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I think it's a neat idea to have them change upgrades like your cara + regen example. In the process you could weaken something like cara+regen without just flat out reducing the amount it heals.

I don't like the idea of a direct increase or decrease in the benefit provided when synergizing things. That feels like a cop out and not well designed.

I also think this could do well for the combat mod as that mod would have a lot more leeway to implement something like this. It might be too drastic for vanilla NS2, though.
  • DuskDusk Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106114Members, Constellation
    I think that would make a fun mod but it would be a nightmare to balance all the combinations.
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1965286:date=Aug 20 2012, 09:55 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Aug 20 2012, 09:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965286"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't like the idea of a direct increase or decrease in the benefit provided when synergizing things. That feels like a cop out and not well designed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly. :) When I was coming up with ideas I was trying to think how the upgrades would work together. One I had, which I scrapped, was carapace and celerity causing damage when you blink/leap/charge a marine, because the extra weight combined with the increased momentum. But it's a bit too weak-sauce and more of a novelty.

<!--quoteo(post=1965292:date=Aug 20 2012, 10:01 PM:name=Dusk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dusk @ Aug 20 2012, 10:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965292"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think that would make a fun mod but it would be a nightmare to balance all the combinations.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh absolutely, this would take a lot of work to get it right. A mod would be pretty cool though, which I would do myself if I could code worth a damn.