Improved melee realism

measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Gun-butt vs Gun-bite</div>
The gun-butt ability in this game is great. I wish it had an upgrade of it's own..
Although, I don't think the realism is very 'present'.

If a skulk bites on a gun there is no damage to the marine. And the gun does not become affected.
It's an imbalance.
Parasite is near useless and needs attention.
I would like to see a 'lock-jaw' attack implemented, something that would WARRANT the use of gun-butt. And restore balance to the world of NS.

Comments

• Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If a skulk bites on a gun there is no damage to the marine. And the gun does not become affected.
    It's an imbalance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i dont fully understand your post, are you saying the marine should be invulnerable to a bite from the front while he is using the rifle-butt? in that case i really disagree: skulks need to be superior in melee for obvious balance-reasons. and gameplay aside, it's not like the skulk has to bite that specific area of your body. it could go for head, arms, shoulders, crotch (ew), legs, feet... whatever still makes sense depending on it's position.

the devs admitted that parasite is not very useful at this state (in terms of the tracking-mechanic), that should improve when hive-sight returns.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And restore balance to the world of NS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    could you be more specific? is this about marines not being powerful in melee and skulks not powerful in range? keep in mind that the two sides are quite asymetrical. and in terms of winning chances, the game seems rather balanced to me at this state.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    I think what he is saying is that there is seemingly no reason for butt smack to be in the game and that perhaps if skulks had a "lock jaw" attack (presuming this means some sort of latching on bite that perhaps is DOT like say poison bite) then the marine could use butt smacks for a reason.
    He also seems to be saying that marines start off without it and its a research upgrade (like SG's or welders)
    I am struggling though to fully understand the post though I think.
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    I do apoligise for my rushed and vague approach to posting.
    An example of what I'm talking aboutis like this;

If 'skulk' is inside a marines gun-muzzle radius and attacks on the weapon face the cross-hair is obscured, moves away from centre, due to the 'skulk' having got a hold of it.
    Or
    In the case of a lock-jaw attack (press attack 2 while holding attack 1?) a 'skulk' does the initial damage of the bite plus dps, until one of 3 things occur.
    ~rifle-butt is used.
    ~'skulk' takes damage from another marine or from a grenade explosion. Possibly by flaming ones own feet.
    ~the alien lets go.

In retrospect, I think I've had little bit of a problem re-adjusting to the new dynamics of not being able to jump straight through a marine.. I'm a family man, now.
    Not a whole lot of time =\
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    I was having difficulty understanding what you were trying to say until I hit reply and noticed the subject. Realism is the keyword. You're looking to add more realism to the rifle butt mechanic. As a general rule, realism is subordinate to gameplay & balance. Realism has its uses, it can be helpful for developing intuitive gameplay and so on.

I think one of the points you're making is that for the purposes of hit detection, the rifle shouldn't add to the marine's hitbox. I don't know whether it currently does or not, combat is too frenetic to tell, and exactly where the server thinks a skulk landed a bite is potentially different to what you see on your screen. That effect varies depending on your ping to the server as well as the skulk's ping to the server as well as the server's tickrate.

The other main point you made about a lock-jaw mechanic is basically a <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quick_time_event" target="_blank">quick-time event</a>. IMHO such a mechanic would be out of place in NS, if only because it would be the only QTE in the game.

NS2 doesn't have hit locations or weakspots. A skulk biting a marine's face is just as effective as biting his foot. Shooting an onos on his armoured plating is just as effective as shooting his butt. Your ideas would probably benefit from (or make more sense if) hitzones were implemented. But the game doesn't really need any of that in my opinion. There are many advantages to keeping it simple. One of the most beloved mechanics of NS is the 1 parasite 2 bites kills a marine in the early game. Simple and predictable.

What the rifle butt attack curently does is a bit of damage as well as a knockback. The knockback effect can be a bit disorienting for the player controlling the skulk. Also consider that by design the skulk is meant to have the upper hand if it's able to get adjacent to the marine. In past builds it was very easy to kill skulks with the rifle butt, so the amount of damage and the range was reduced.
    <!--quoteo(post=1965245:date=Aug 21 2012, 04:14 AM:name=Khyron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Khyron @ Aug 21 2012, 04:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965245"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was having difficulty understanding what you were trying to say until I hit reply and noticed the subject. Realism is the keyword. You're looking to add more realism to the rifle butt mechanic. As a general rule, realism is subordinate to gameplay & balance. Realism has its uses, it can be helpful for developing intuitive gameplay and so on.

I think one of the points you're making is that for the purposes of hit detection, the rifle shouldn't add to the marine's hitbox. I don't know whether it currently does or not, combat is too frenetic to tell, and exactly where the server thinks a skulk landed a bite is potentially different to what you see on your screen. That effect varies depending on your ping to the server as well as the skulk's ping to the server as well as the server's tickrate.

The other main point you made about a lock-jaw mechanic is basically a <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quick_time_event" target="_blank">quick-time event</a>. IMHO such a mechanic would be out of place in NS,> if only because it would be the only QTE in the game.<

NS2 doesn't have hit locations or weakspots. A skulk biting a marine's face is just as effective as biting his foot. Shooting an onos on his armoured plating is just as effective as shooting his butt. Your ideas would probably benefit from (or make more sense if) hitzones were implemented. But the game doesn't really need any of that in my opinion. There are many advantages to keeping it simple. One of the most beloved mechanics of NS is the 1 parasite 2 bites kills a marine in the early game. Simple and predictable.

What the rifle butt attack curently does is a bit of damage as well as a knockback. The knockback effect can be a bit disorienting for the player controlling the skulk. Also consider that by design the skulk is meant to have the upper hand if it's able to get adjacent to the marine. In past builds it was very easy to kill skulks with the rifle butt, so the amount of damage and the range was <i><b>reduced</b></i>!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thanks for explaining it that for me, Khyron. Now other readers, too, can figure out what the *Happy Panda* I was trying to say.
    <u>adapt or die</u>
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1965789:date=Aug 22 2012, 08:02 PM:name=measles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (measles @ Aug 22 2012, 08:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1965789"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks for explaining it that for me, Khyron. Now other readers, too, can figure out what the *Happy Panda* I was trying to say.
    <u>adapt or die</u><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hehe no problem, glad it helped :)
  • PhenakistPhenakist Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154948Members
    Early game, parasite is incredibly useful
  • TquilaTquila Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70738Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1964629:date=Aug 18 2012, 11:51 AM:name=measles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (measles @ Aug 18 2012, 11:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1964629"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Parasite is near useless and needs attention.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Parasite is very much effective as it stands right now. Go watch a few competative games, I dont think a skulk ever engage in fight without parasiting first, or at least trying to ^.-
    <!--quoteo(post=1966172:date=Aug 24 2012, 02:31 AM:name=Kola)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kola @ Aug 24 2012, 02:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1966172"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Parasite is very much effective as it stands right now. Go watch a few competative games, I dont think a skulk ever engage in fight without parasiting first, or at least trying to ^.-<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Competative?.. BAH!! This is a beta, only <u>fools</u> rush in, etc.
    Parasite is TOO simple. The overall battle-mechanics of a SKULK deserves to be more complex & instinctive.