Primal Scream

EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
edited August 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Re-introduced as the beacon equivalent</div>Just an idea for Khaam single hive research, (Or possibly baseline? May be too much). Primal Scream: When activated by the Khaam all aliens receive a significant speed boost which lasts for X seconds. Breaks on damage.

The idea is to allow aliens to respond to threats in the hive, or elsewhere, much faster, while not directly copying the beacon ability. It can also be doubled as a lead-in to a big attack (thinking gorges doing bile-bomb support in the wake of fades/onos). I think it should be audible to marines in the vicinity of the hive too, so they know either a big push or a response team will be incoming very soon.

Could perhaps instead (or also?) be used to speed up the respawn queue, which would give it more similarity to the observatory beacon.

Think this would be handy? Or just unnecessary?

Comments

• twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The Celerity upgrade (from the Spur/Shift Hive) already has a very similar effect.
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Indeed it does, but I'm talking about a very large speed increase. ;)

But you're right, there may be too much overlap with celerity so as to render taking that upgrade redundant. Unfortunately that didn't occur to me before I made the thread.
  • ArchamArcham Join Date: 2012-08-05 Member: 154799Members
    edited August 2012
    It could be a good idea for mooving around the map but I think the speed boost from the scream should be cancelled as soon as the alien receives damage.
    A speed boost is a big combat bonus, the scream should only be about mooving from point A to point B not fighting more effectively. This would also prevent it from overlaping with celerity which can be used in battle.
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1963957:date=Aug 16 2012, 03:39 PM:name=Archam)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Archam @ Aug 16 2012, 03:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963957"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It could be a good idea for mooving around the map but I think the speed boost from the scream should be cancelled as soon as the alien receives damage.
    A speed boost is a big combat bonus, the scream should only be about mooving from point A to point B not fighting more effectively. This would also prevent it from overlaping with celerity which can be used in battle.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's what I meant when I said it should break on damage. :) Sorry if that wasn't clear.
    But celerity works in combat? This is news to me, when it was introduced I'm sure the developers said it was just to enable faster travel to a combat zone.

Anyway yeah, currently Celerity sees very little use as it is (afaik, though I'm sure some people swear by it). An ability like this would just put it in the grave.
    If Celerity were replaced with another upgrade then this idea may hold more weight, but that's a bit beyond the scope of this particular thread.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    I wouldn't mind just being able to teleport between hives again even if the khammander has to research it and the hives have to connected by cysts. Aliens are pretty outclassed on movement since marines can now beacon to any techpoint they have an observatory at in addition to phase gates.