[REQ] Projectile Spores

JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
edited August 2012 in Modding
Anyone had a go at changing the spores from trailing back to projectile?
I think the current implementation of umbra works as a projectile already so I'd assume it would be pretty straight forward to get it working for spores also.

As performance keeps getting better, trailing spores are making less and less sense to me. Survival as the class is often coming down to forcing the model to move in the air as erratically as possible. If the reasoning for trailing spores was to force the lerk to be more in the action, I think it's having the opposite effect now.

Comments

• BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited August 2012
    Instead of the umbra behavior I'd like to see something like the frozen orb from diablo 2.

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SZV3qDo8wx8"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SZV3qDo8wx8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center> (at 0:10)

- has a different size depending on the time you hold the button (and have energy)
    - the orb decreases in size the time it travels and leaves a spore trail
    - on contact the orb explodes into a gas cloud where the size is calculated by the size of the remaining orb.
    - orb flight behavior depends on lerk momentum and gravity

holding right mouse button = trail spores
    right mouse click -> right mouse hold = orb power up.

This way you wouldn't be able to sit in vents and spam it without risk, but you also wouldn't have to fly 1 meter above the marines and probably die.

The closer you get to throw the orb, the bigger the cloud gets.

The lerk bile bomb mechanics could be used for something like this.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    I try adding horizontal velocity at some point, I wasn't too hard but there was some problems :

- No collision detection with the walls (now it's just checking the ground I think).
    - When you would circle and spore the spores would go only at few angles instead of doing a nice ring, it's probably due to low update rate, or something.