Gorge bile bomb

AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS!Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
edited August 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Ridiculusly op</div>In its current incarnation, bile bomb can rip a base to shreds even if your whole marine team is there, be it vents, strafing because of the bad design of the base marines cant seem to get around him to kill him, or hes lagging the heck out.

i just played a game, guy got like 200 in score with just bile bomb, which cost me up to 300-400 res. one gorge. even when i beaconed my troops to the position he was destroying, wuht!

forewarning: Don't say "Well if you couldn't prevent..." nonsense, that argument is baseless, pointless, and irrelevent to my point, rambo gorges, are much more fearsome than rambo skulks, and they are as support character. one gorge can destroy your base in seconds, especialy with adrenaline and carapace, maybe feign death if you play your cards right, so even if you have massive teamwork, a fantastic team, one gorge can ruin it all.

And it's so obvious, that people abuse it, specificaly gorge so as to just bile bomb your base and do nothing else, this is ridiculus, they even ignore players just to do it. it needs to be nerfed.

just for comparison, a jetpacking grenlaunching marine can't do half the damage a gorge can, thats 25+10, he will eventualy run out of ammo and fuel and crags will heal up, also you can counter this with (mature) whips.

So that means theres NO REASON TO GO ONOS, apart from onos trains, soaking up damage for a gorge, or some other reason you can come up with, why spend 75 res to go onos when you can spend 10 res to go gorge and do much more damage?
Theres multiple ways to fix this OBVIOUS problem, don't try to say that it's anything but.
<ol type='1'>1) Slow down bilebombs shooting time, one gorge can shoot over 10000 biles a second, and with adren, he never runs out of energy!
2) increase bilebombs energy cost! this will make adren so much less op when using bile!
3) reduce the dot damage.
4) make it third hive research
5) Implement the "you must buy upgrades" system that is.. well.. partially in. (When you click on b, click on a life form, theres a small bubble as to what abils you have)
This will help multitudes of things. then you could slightly reduce the tres cost of all upgrades.</li></ol>

and i'm out of ideas
Ok flame away, you know you want to

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->
REMEMBER HOWEVER, no "Well if you can't...." posts, that is UN-constructive to the point and can be considered as SPAM for all i care. might as well not make the point, as its just derogatory and causes an entirely new topic to be... "discussed" (more like flamed and trolled but anyway)<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

TL;DR Gorge bile bomb is op. i'm lazy and i can't read, and auron is the best. the end. ever.

Comments

• elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    Havent yet had that huge problems with gorges, certainly can be very annoying at times. However, the range on bilebomb is still ridiculous. You can bilebomb over crevice to the other side. They also should just get rid of the DoT, as its just a bad leftover from the lerk bilebomb. I guess the reason they keep the huge range and DoT mechanic is that they want it to be used to damage marine armor from range. Just give the lerk back its proper spores so he too can be useful again, and revert the bilebomb back to the good old low-range-high-burst-damage one.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    edited August 2012
    If you get two gorges outside a marine base, when the marines aren't aware of their presence, and they have a 2 fades as bodyguards, that marine base is gone. However, all those pieces that need to be in place will never happen outside of clan games. On the other hand, a single jetpack marine with a grenade launcher will level an entire hive room, structures and all.
  • DarkomicronDarkomicron Join Date: 2010-11-24 Member: 75256Members
    Sorry to be that guy but it basically is a 'well if you can't...' situation.

A gorge is in no way capable of surviving a marine (assuming about equal skill levels (read: if the marine can aim and shoot)). A gorge is a support character in the way that it cannot do damage on its own, it cannot survive on its own. It needs skulk support in the early game to move forward, or oni in the lategame to assault bases. Even then the gorge can't do more than dealing damage to buildings with bilebomb, it was always this way even in NS1.

You SHOULD be able to kill the gorge, and if you cannot, then either the alien team had good teamwork protecting the gorge or your team wasn't good enough to catch it. The damage it deals should be high. Marines can weld up their buildings and bilebomb is just a way to destroy an entrenched position. If the alien team pushed the marines back into their main base then the gorges are able to get in position, if the marines didn't let it come that far, the gorge would never be able to get into the main base and kill off buildings. Sure, a skulk could sneak in and become a gorge, but he cannot kill those buildings fast enough if you send your marines to take him out. If you have nobody nearby and no way to get to that position with speed, like a phasegate ... then this gorge is just tactically outmaneuvering you.

TL;DR: I believe it's working as intended.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963369:date=Aug 15 2012, 05:51 AM:name=Darkomicron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Darkomicron @ Aug 15 2012, 05:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963369"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry to be that guy but it basically is a 'well if you can't...' situation.

A gorge is in no way capable of surviving a marine (assuming about equal skill levels (read: if the marine can aim and shoot)). A gorge is a support character in the way that it cannot do damage on its own, it cannot survive on its own. It needs skulk support in the early game to move forward, or oni in the lategame to assault bases. Even then the gorge can't do more than dealing damage to buildings with bilebomb, it was always this way even in NS1.

You SHOULD be able to kill the gorge, and if you cannot, then either the alien team had good teamwork protecting the gorge or your team wasn't good enough to catch it. The damage it deals should be high. Marines can weld up their buildings and bilebomb is just a way to destroy an entrenched position. If the alien team pushed the marines back into their main base then the gorges are able to get in position, if the marines didn't let it come that far, the gorge would never be able to get into the main base and kill off buildings. Sure, a skulk could sneak in and become a gorge, but he cannot kill those buildings fast enough if you send your marines to take him out. If you have nobody nearby and no way to get to that position with speed, like a phasegate ... then this gorge is just tactically outmaneuvering you.

TL;DR: I believe it's working as intended.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

The only way a single gorge is going to take out your base is if he is alone in there for a lot time. Even with upgrades it still takes BB a while to take out structures, it's not instant like you make it sound like.
    If your team was coordinated or the comm knew what he was doing he would warn his team about the gorge or beacon them back to base if it got that bad, hell he could jump out and chase the gorge down and kill it himself.

Aliens need a way to prevent and break Marine entrenchment. Currently the only thing that really works is Gorge BB. Marines already have GLs and ARCs that will demolish any Alien fortification in seconds, but it takes Aliens a life time to do the same.
  • PhenakistPhenakist Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154948Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963447:date=Aug 15 2012, 02:50 PM:name=MiniH0wie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MiniH0wie @ Aug 15 2012, 02:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963447"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1

The only way a single gorge is going to take out your base is if he is alone in there for a lot time. Even with upgrades it still takes BB a while to take out structures, it's not instant like you make it sound like.
    If your team was coordinated or the comm knew what he was doing he would warn his team about the gorge or beacon them back to base if it got that bad, hell he could jump out and chase the gorge down and kill it himself.

Aliens need a way to prevent and break Marine entrenchment. Currently the only thing that really works is Gorge BB. Marines already have GLs and ARCs that will demolish any Alien fortification in seconds, but it takes Aliens a life time to do the same.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+2

I am new to the game and don't necessarily say it is OP or UP however from my experience of playing NS2 I have not ever thought bilebomb is anything more than fking annoying when they do a base rush. Remember marines have MAC's which are actually useful for the res they cost.

That being said you cannot start a thread about a discussion, to then just omit a key argument that you do not want to hear because you don't agree with it. These guys have put forward convincing arguments how the gorge sucks giant ass on its own without support, just for you to say in your thread start ''ah but situational arguments will be void'', that is not conducive to fixing the problem (if there was one)
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    Oh and just for everyone to see, Imbalanxd made a good point on how long it takes a gorge BB to take out stuctures vs a marine taking out alien structures.

<!--quoteo(post=1963361:date=Aug 15 2012, 05:44 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Aug 15 2012, 05:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963361"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Time taken to destroy structure with continuous bile bomb attack from single gorge
    Armoury - 12 seconds
    Upgraded Armoury - 20 seconds
    Arms Lab - 15 seconds
    Observatory - 10 seconds

Time taken to destroy mature shell by weapon
    LMG - 9 seconds
    Knife - 8 seconds
    Shotgun - 5 seconds

Time taken to destroy mature spur by weapon
    LMG - 6 seconds
    Shotgun - 4 seconds

This is considering no adrenaline and no weapon upgrades, though it obviously requires that the alien team have 2 hives, and the bile bomb upgrade. Marines obviously need only the shotgun upgrade. And if you want to talk AOE, lets talk about the grenade launcher.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963360:date=Aug 15 2012, 05:37 AM:name=AuroN2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AuroN2 @ Aug 15 2012, 05:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963360"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->just for comparison, a jetpacking grenlaunching marine can't do half the damage a gorge can,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol

Only thing a bilebombing gorge is good for is assaulting with the rest of his team, otherwise he dies in a few shots.

I agree bilebomb is a bit overpowered, but I think thats a problem with adrenaline and carapace. Before when carapace had no slowdown, and when adrenaline didn't exist, gorges protected the onos. Now its the other way around, the onos protects the gorge whom is bilebombing. Why? The onos knows he is too slow to enter the room and survive, while the gorge can do the same damage from range.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    I can't tell if the OP is actually serious or not.
  • Rapid_SausageRapid_Sausage Join Date: 2012-08-05 Member: 154811Members
    sounds like a teamwork issue rather than a bile bomb issue.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    it's really an issue with sniping power nodes with bilebomb. it may take a while for a single gorge to level a base with BB, but the power node goes down and there's almost nothing the marines can do if there's not a marine already standing there.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963807:date=Aug 15 2012, 11:19 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Aug 15 2012, 11:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963807"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it's really an issue with sniping power nodes with bilebomb. it may take a while for a single gorge to level a base with BB, but the power node goes down and there's almost nothing the marines can do if there's not a marine already standing there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If the powenode goes down that's an issue with the team/commander. Between phase gates, beacon, and probably JPs by the time Bile Bomb is researched, gorges shouldn't be that much a problem.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963807:date=Aug 16 2012, 06:19 AM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Aug 16 2012, 06:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963807"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it's really an issue with sniping power nodes with bilebomb. it may take a while for a single gorge to level a base with BB, but the power node goes down and there's almost nothing the marines can do if there's not a marine already standing there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The perceived weakness of powernodes was discussed at length during the Onos fiasco of 206+-. The primary reason commanders lose their base to powernode focus is because they simply do not drop powerpacks. This is either because they lack the strategic foresight necessary to spend resources on something that doesn't immediately fly into a hive and explode, or because they are too spoiled to possibly make backup plans for when things go wrong.

Funny thing is, powerpacks are pretty strong themselves, taking a skulk 12 seconds to destroy. Put one on either IP and one on the Obs and you are set.
  • ArchamArcham Join Date: 2012-08-05 Member: 154799Members
    edited August 2012
    I have never seen such problem in the game so far.
    If I command I will just use my mic or keyboard to ask for a couple of marines to kill it and here we go.
    I don't think I have ever seen an entire base (or even more than a single structure) destroyed by a single "rambo" gorge.
  • Zadrack2Zadrack2 Britain Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189490Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    Seriously, Gorges go down in seconds with good teamwork, and bile bomb isn't OP, it takes marines seconds to destroy alien structures (not including the hive) but it takes aliens forever to destroy marine structures (without bile bomb), if anything marines are OP.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited December 2013
    Holy mother of necro. You do realise this is from a yer ago, right? When hitreg was Lulz and Bile instakilled everything? (took em months to realise, blind fools)
    Adminplzclose @ironhorse @mouse @kouji_san
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
This discussion has been closed.