Jetpacks

SkugganSkuggan Join Date: 2010-03-19 Member: 71017Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Dont nerf their movement</div>I have seen alot of whine about jet packs. Mostly from new players I guess but I have also heard Hugh talk about them needing a nerf.

This concerns me because I think the feel to the jetpack is great at the moment(remember the old handicaped jetpack?).

If the mobility of the jetpacks gets nerf the skill ceiling gets lowered and thats not a way to go for a game who wants to be an e-sport.
Its not that hard to kill jetpacks with tier2 aliens at the moment.

My suggestions to balance them out instead of making their movement worse is to raise the pres cost to 15-20, and make lerk spikes have a better range so you have a tier 1 counter to jetpacks.

Comments

• schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    i actually think the jetpack needs more mobility if anything. it feels like it has no power to lift you straight up, and takes aaaaaages to get forward momentum.

so you can't really do the dawn of war leap frog thing to dodge effectively, and they don't make you travel much faster either. they aren't as fun as blink or lerk flight or even skulk leap. its like one of those 3 wheeled cars without any torque.

they should be made better, and then also have a better counter to them.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited August 2012
    They are far too cheap for their effectiveness, maybe 15 or 20 res will do.
    And then i read the o.p.
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    I'd say they're quite fine as they are right now. Well counterable as skulk with leap or fade with blink. A bit tougher, but still possible for a lerk without upgrades.

Without leap and blink though... impossibru!

Raising the costs to 15pres sounds good to me.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    yup, the problem isn't that you can't kill a jetpacker, it is that when you kill a jetpacker, its too cheap for him to return!
  • ScrajmScrajm Join Date: 2011-10-17 Member: 127859Members
    Yes, 15pres instead of movement nerf. Now when spikes are gonna be t1 instead, and if they boost fade double jump a bit, jetpacks might be more balanced. Plz dont nerf them.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My personal opinion to jet packs is, that it is very frustrating to fight against them.

Most frustrating is it without leap as skulk. You run around and they just keep flying away. You can do nothing and this feels very frustrating. I understand, that jet packs vs. hive1-aliens should have a huge advantage. But right now they need nearly no skill in this situation and get an unbelievable advantage.

Even with leap or spikes, I had several jet pack encounters that could just kill a hive before I could kill them. While this may only be my crappy aim, it just feels wrong, that it is so easy to be successful with jet packs, while aliens struggle to get it down. To the point where an early jet pack rush can kill the second hive (=leap + blink gone) before the aliens can kill the attacking marines and literally end the game with this move. (Have seen this now a few times.)

It just feels cheap. Jet packs should need a minimum amount of skill to be effective with. This is just not the case right now.

Just to be clear: I don't want to say, that they should be nerfed until they are no fun at all. It should just require more skill to use them to such an advantageous degree. I also haven't the right answer how to tweak them. At least the cost could go up. 15 pres sounds more reasonable. Another idea could be a mechanic that the jp recharges slower the less fuel it has. Skillful users should be able to nearly constantly fly with them, without touching the ground. But if you make a mistake (and this happens fast in a fight), you should be punished by going down on the ground for longer as it is now.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    My primary problem is not with the jetpack per se. If a jetpacker with an LMG kills me as a skulk, that's fine. If he does it with a shotgun, props to him, that isn't easy to do while flying every which way. When a marine is flying around with a grenade launcher or flame thrower, and only manages to make sure hes ALMOST facing in the right direction, but still blows up everything or sets everything in a 20 mile radius on fire, that I am not ok with.

The downside to a jetpack is the loss of accuracy. The upside to a grenade launcher is that accuracy isn't required. Combine them, and you get something that is simply too easy to use and too damn powerful.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Agreed. This topic does not come up the first time. My solution last time was to add either a push back when firing those heavy weapons while in the air, or a fuel cost per shot with heavy weapons.
    Also I think that jetpackers should be grounded when getting nano shielded. Something about heavy nanites.
  • PyromaniacPyromaniac Join Date: 2009-02-20 Member: 66498Members
    They're less mobile than ns1 and were fairly well balanced in that. Give fades momentum and jetpacks better horizontal movement and bring back the best combat from ns1.
    <!--quoteo(post=1963382:date=Aug 15 2012, 01:25 PM:name=Pyromaniac)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pyromaniac @ Aug 15 2012, 01:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963382"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They're less mobile than ns1 and were fairly well balanced in that. Give fades momentum and jetpacks better horizontal movement and bring back the best combat from ns1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The difference is the economic interaction. In NS1 you could drop your team jetpacks once, and only once. When you killed a jetpacker, you really made a difference, and it was a big deal. Now they just keep coming back, over and over again.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    I think pushing the PRes cost of jetpacks to 15 or 20 would be great.
    Also, giving the fade a little more momentum speed after exiting blink would help immensely with catching jetpacks in the cieling.
    Tapping the blink, for use of the momentum, is not encouraged enough due to the low blink cost and weak momentum.
    So raise blink cost and raise the speed after exiting blink.
  • HellstrofHellstrof Join Date: 2012-08-11 Member: 155459Members
    Yep, it's way too cheap for such advantages. While aliens should pay 50 res for fade and evolve 25 seconds, marines can just keep spamming with those jetpacks for 10 res in no time — there is no waiting time for purchasing stuff, and above all marines have phase gates.
    If you manage kill a jp with Flamethrower, another jp can pick up this Flamethrower which makes defending of last hive most pointless and frustrating experience.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1963272:date=Aug 15 2012, 07:41 AM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Aug 15 2012, 07:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963272"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i actually think the jetpack needs more mobility if anything. it feels like it has no power to lift you straight up, and takes aaaaaages to get forward momentum.

so you can't really do the dawn of war leap frog thing to dodge effectively, and they don't make you travel much faster either. they aren't as fun as blink or lerk flight or even skulk leap. its like one of those 3 wheeled cars without any torque.

they should be made better, and then also have a better counter to them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 I agree totaly.

I personaly think they could be better. But for balance reasons I think they should should Stay the same, Not to be Nerfed and not gain a BUFF.
  • Locke504Locke504 Join Date: 2010-04-23 Member: 71511Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Honestly, I'm not sure where all the complaints about jP cost are coming from. If aliens keep them on 2-3 rt's, you really only have to deal with 1 complete wave of JP's, and then the occasional straggler before rines start running out of res.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1963627:date=Aug 15 2012, 04:06 PM:name=Locke504)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Locke504 @ Aug 15 2012, 04:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963627"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Honestly, I'm not sure where all the complaints about jP cost are coming from. If aliens keep them on 2-3 rt's, you really only have to deal with 1 complete wave of JP's, and then the occasional straggler before rines start running out of res.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

have fun keeping them on 2-3 rt's when they have jp's and shotties...which isn't the most difficult thing to do
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    edited August 2012
    they should cost around 25 if not 30 pres im tired of seeing entire teams of marines able to somehow afford grenade launchers and jetpacks, and aliens can maybe afford 1 onos.

Either jetpack goes up for 25-30 pres or Onos goes down in cost.
  • CasusCasus Join Date: 2009-07-16 Member: 68153Members
    Nerf fuel recharge. Maybe it's my Tribes heritage, but I've found I very, very, very rarely even need to touch the ground when I have JP. The ridiculous airtime needs to be fixed so that marines have to land more often.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    tbh I think the cost and movement of JP is fine, it is the general movement mechanics of the fade/skulk that I find to be lacking and most frustrating. I remember it was fun to battle JP in NS1 as skulk/fade, in this game it is more frustration at the constraint in the movement. just feels... different, worse. Forward momentum from fade blink is very lacking and blink can feel too slow.
  • Locke504Locke504 Join Date: 2010-04-23 Member: 71511Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1963634:date=Aug 15 2012, 03:29 PM:name=RMJ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RMJ @ Aug 15 2012, 03:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963634"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->they should cost around 25 if not 30 pres im tired of seeing entire teams of marines able to somehow afford grenade launchers and jetpacks, and aliens can maybe afford 1 onos.

Either jetpack goes up for 25-30 pres or Onos goes down in cost.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

so if you kill that marine quickly, he loses 30 res, even at 5 rt's, it take a good deal of time to regen 30 res

The only time you have to worry about rines having near infinite supply of JP's is if they forgo all other gear upgrades before hand. Normally SG's or mines come out early game and rines end up wasting a good chunk of their pres there.

In the later case, I find I have the res for 2 jp's and maybe 1 weapon before i'm p-res tapped. That doesn't feel like it's OP to me considering the lifetime of a marine on the field is much less than that of an alien.

Either way, I don't think jp balance should even be considered further until we see exosuit and (hopefully) an onos buff hit the game.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963642:date=Aug 15 2012, 03:39 PM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Aug 15 2012, 03:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963642"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->tbh I think the cost and movement of JP is fine, it is the general movement mechanics of the fade/skulk that I find to be lacking and most frustrating. I remember it was fun to battle JP in NS1 as skulk/fade, in this game it is more frustration at the constraint in the movement. just feels... different, worse. Forward momentum from fade blink is very lacking and blink can feel too slow.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Says the guys who continously murders the entire marine team as Fade even when JPs are out. :P

;)
  • NukoeNukoe Join Date: 2012-08-05 Member: 154821Members
    edited August 2012
    I very much dislike how overpowered Jetpacks are against most aliens, but don't decrease the mobility. Marines feel clunky to play as it is, and jetpacks are one of the few fluid motions they get. Some people want to remove sprint or nerf it, seems like some people won't be happy until every Marine is an overweight, out of shape man.

Make the cost higher, 15-20 like others have said...make losing one a lot more impactful. The energy usage may also need to be increased.

However, all this may be completely unnecessary and all that may be needed are better ways of dealing with one as an alien. Improved blink motions could certainly help.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    not just that, the map designs don't help. every map has large cavernous rooms where jp's basically become invincible to skulks. e.g. flight control, central drilling/cave, terminal/landing pad/generator/courtyard.

put some props so that skulks can boost off to get to the necessary height to combat jp's. or let them double leap.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Might as well remove the only skillful things in this game, cant have any of those.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1963647:date=Aug 15 2012, 01:43 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Aug 15 2012, 01:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->put some props so that skulks can boost off to get to the necessary height to combat jp's. or let them double leap.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

skulks have been able to double leap for several patches now... :|
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963647:date=Aug 15 2012, 01:43 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Aug 15 2012, 01:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->not just that, the map designs don't help. every map has large cavernous rooms where jp's basically become invincible to skulks. e.g. flight control, central drilling/cave, terminal/landing pad/generator/courtyard.

put some props so that skulks can boost off to get to the necessary height to combat jp's. or let them double leap.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is actually a very legitimate concern.

Just like in NS1, certain rooms heavily favor certain play styles and roles. JPs absolutely murder things if they have a large enough room to maneuver. And the mega-room in NS2 that tend to dominate the map unlike the corridors in NS1 don't help.

Leaping Skulks in NS1 had a decent chance of picking off a JP if they weren't careful. Fades and Lerks were even better at it. And Gorge web really ruined their days. But the bigger the room the bigger the JP's advantage was to just displace and dodge everything jumping at it.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    jet packs are not cheap at all.

from purely a resource perspective you have to buy an Armory > Advanced Armory > 2nd Comm Chair > Proto Lab > Research Jetpacks

thats a lot more than 10 res.....

thats not counting the time and other res spent in holding the 2nd techpoint.
  • supsusupsu Join Date: 2012-04-24 Member: 151023Members, Squad Five Blue
    I think they meant pres cost.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1963680:date=Aug 15 2012, 03:13 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Aug 15 2012, 03:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963680"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->jet packs are not cheap at all.

from purely a resource perspective you have to buy an Armory > Advanced Armory > 2nd Comm Chair > Proto Lab > Research Jetpacks

thats a lot more than 10 res.....

thats not counting the time and other res spent in holding the 2nd techpoint.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1963681:date=Aug 15 2012, 03:17 PM:name=supsu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (supsu @ Aug 15 2012, 03:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1963681"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think they meant pres cost.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And thus the weirdness of dissociating TRes and PRes.

In NS1 they were one and the same, and so the high tech cost meant a serious investment and then continual payments to keep your team equipped.

In NS2 sure that TRes could have been used elsewhere, but everyone's PRes pool can now be utilized to suddenly get a nice continual boost in efficiency on each player.
  • Jonp_11Jonp_11 Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20161Members
    You can barely tap space and stay hovering around for over 10 seconds. They could use a fuel or fuel recharge nerf. With their cost at 10 it seems like they are just too good.