The Origin of the Kharaa

CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
<div class="IPBDescription">An Ancient Ruins Map!!</div>Besides trying to save the infested planets from being nuked by the Federation, we should add more back-story to the Origin of the Kharaa. By that I mean add an Ancient Ruins map for the fans! Who doesn't love Ancient origins of alien species? It adds more mystery and info to the aliens :D Or maybe it's predictable storyline, lmao, but I still want my Ancient Ruins map!!

Mission:
Explore landing site and, if possible, gain entry to the Ancient Ruins. Mission will be successful when all threats have been eliminated. Recovery of Ancient artifacts can then be initiated. To abort the mission, return Frontiersmen Operatives to transport vehicle and click on the 'Abort Mission' icon. :D

My ideal Ancient Ruins map would be deep in the jungles where nature has already taken over the ruins. Full of wildlife around the ruins, so you'll hear the sounds of strange animals while you're outside. When you get inside, you'll have your regular rooms with decades old res nodes and lamps fixed on the ceiling with it's own power node on the wall all installed by past explorers and pirates. The map will be huge. As big as Veil or bigger, just as long as it's bigger than the current NS2 maps. The walls will be full of ancient Hieroglyphs and the deeper you go you'll find some walls filled with depictions of the Kharaa!! What a discovery :OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The Kharaa could of been an ancient experiment that went badly wrong and the very advanced ancients who unleashed hell went extinct. Other less advanced and primitive civilizations nearby were wiped out by the Kharaa. Then suddenly the Kharaa disappeared from existence. Maybe the Kharaa went further into the dark reaches of Space, where only our Space explorers have begun to explore. Maybe they returned with the Kharaa.

Comments

• NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    That sounds fun. But somebody would have to <i>make</i> this map. I don't know how to map (even though I'd like to) but I do know that it takes a very long time. So your best bet is to make it yourself, to pay somebody to do it, or work on such a map with a good friend.
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1962185:date=Aug 13 2012, 02:25 PM:name=CobraCommander)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CobraCommander @ Aug 13 2012, 02:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962185"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Kharaa could of been an ancient experiment that went badly wrong and the very advanced ancients who unleashed hell went extinct. Other less advanced and primitive civilizations nearby were wiped out by the Kharaa. Then suddenly the Kharaa disappeared from existence. Maybe the Kharaa went further into the dark reaches of Space, where only our Space explorers have begun to explore. Maybe they returned with the Kharaa.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So you mean the story of Halo and the Flood? ;)

I think the idea of the Kharra evolving naturally suits them better. Perhaps a strain of bacteria that evolved into parasites, took over the natural wildlife; the skulks, lerks, onos, gorge and possibly many others which were then deemed unsuitable for combat. And then went on to consume the planet and spread out into the stratosphere and eventually to other worlds. This would be when they first encounter humans, thus adding the Fade to their ranks.
    Can you imagine what an infested planet looks like? :s ...Well, probably like the end of Dead Space 1 actually.

Now here the funny thing... Humans did the exact same thing in this universe, and yet the two species couldn't be any more different. :)
  • FateofmanFateofman Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154928Members
    Ruins map sounds cool, but...

Kharaa is the name for the animals infected by "Bacterium" so I doubt an ancient race would be writing Hieroglyphs about bacteria experimentation, just saying...

I guess the Kharaa could have invaded or whatever...maybe it's me getting a bit lore-centric :(

but ruins would be nice
  • the6thmonkeythe6thmonkey Join Date: 2011-08-29 Member: 119045Members
    From what I've heard, nether the kharaa or Humans were designed to be the evil ones. So there is a chance that humans may have invaded alien territory before their complexes were infested ;)
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    I <i>would</i> like to see a map in an alien environment. Every map is in a human environment so far. It's always that the aliens are invading. Maybe the marines could invade for once.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1962190:date=Aug 13 2012, 09:45 AM:name=Fateofman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fateofman @ Aug 13 2012, 09:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962190"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ruins map sounds cool, but...

Kharaa is the name for the animals infected by "Bacterium" so I doubt an ancient race would be writing Hieroglyphs about bacteria experimentation, just saying...

I guess the Kharaa could have invaded or whatever...maybe it's me getting a bit lore-centric :(

but ruins would be nice<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You ever hear of the protheans?? :p
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    There is good stuff in the wiki already <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Kharaa" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Kharaa</a>
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    A Kharaa homeworld would probably be infested to the point where everything is part of the Kharaa. Until the planet's resources run dry, and then the hivemass would explode bacterium out of the world to infest other compatible worlds.
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    There is going to be maps where Aliens are native right? not all maps are gonna be marines this and marines that.

Because that would be pretty boring, half map pool should be alien maps where marines are the hostiles
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @RMJ, Since the community has access to the tools to make maps I suspect there's a high probability of this happening.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    The Marines are financed by companies that want to recover their infested property instead of having to nuke it. Why would Marines ever attack an alien stronghold? Who would pay for the equipment? And how would they be able to harvest nanites to construct their bases?

I don't even know what an alien map would look like. Aliens are the bacterium fundamentally. They don't have a home. They just infest places.
    I imagine a underground network of caves broken up by a few open areas grassland and trees.

Though it just occurred to me that such a place would have no powernodes or techpoints XD So I think the nearest we could get is a compound which was infested long ago and the initial structure is severely disfigured by green goop.
  • RMJRMJ Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155190Members
    Very awesome, i hope it does, becuase its pretty damn boring only playing maps in human areas.

Why would humans attack aliens ? there might be many reasons, to wipe them out from the planet. maybe there is hostages / civilians whatever.

When you are at war you cant just cover and hide to only attack then they attack you, sometimes you need to go to the source. and soldiers arent really asked, hey do you want to go there, they are told by the big fat generals who are told by the paperpushing people in goverment.

Fighting in caves, under water caves, jungles. Deserts. Ice / snow mountains. i mean come on the possibilities are endless.

Fight in Area 51. because why not :P
    edited August 2012
    I'm not sure this is a war really, at least the humans don't view it as such else they would be brining serious firepower to bear. I think humanity as a whole just sees the Kharra as a small threat at the edge of inhabited space, in a universe where there's probably many native creatures out for human blood. :)

Hell there may even be a third race which humans actually consider a bigger threat, which is another explanation for so little resources being thrown at the Frontiersmen.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This brings back memories of the old NS1 map of stargate, where beyond the stargate was run of old temples and ruins
    <!--quoteo(post=1962357:date=Aug 13 2012, 05:39 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Aug 13 2012, 05:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962357"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Marines are financed by companies that want to recover their infested property instead of having to nuke it. Why would Marines ever attack an alien stronghold? Who would pay for the equipment? And how would they be able to harvest nanites to construct their bases?

I don't even know what an alien map would look like. Aliens are the bacterium fundamentally. They don't have a home. They just infest places.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Caverns, underground, dark, moist, damp, musty, water, organic...these are the things I think about. Also, what do you mean how would they harvest nanites? How do the aliens harvest the bacterium? Through resource nodes! There would be resource nodes on the planet, they just wouldn't be metallic. They'd be organic.

Power though. That's a big one. Not sure how to explain power nodes on an alien planet. Maybe the marines know how to interact with some form of native kharaa life in order to provide power for their structures.

Or something.
  • CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1962393:date=Aug 13 2012, 04:16 PM:name=ellnic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ellnic @ Aug 13 2012, 04:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1962393"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This brings back memories of the old NS1 map of stargate, where beyond the stargate was run of old temples and ruins<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thanks for bringing that up. I love that map!!
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Its a shame ns_origin covered this already they were researching the bactirium and it startedbecoming hostile...skulks...hives...ns1...ns2