Geometry creation in SketchUp instead?

spacedanielspacedaniel Join Date: 2009-11-11 Member: 69348Members
Note to self: Don't invent wheel, write export/import script instead :)

Anyway, has anyone done this already? Doing basic map geometry in SketchUp (or anything that isn't quite as... not-so-easy-going as spark)
and then just imported to spark for lighting and props etc??
Would save at least me some valuable time.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Well, it is possible I think. But it will have some odd issues with texturing is my guess. I've seen some other people try and get their Sketchup props into Spark, but the Spark builder was choking on it or something...

you need to save the file in a .DAE (COLLODA) format <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Builder" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Builder</a>
  • spacedanielspacedaniel Join Date: 2009-11-11 Member: 69348Members
    edited August 2012
    Thanks, I'll make sure to check that out. Props i'll probably do in modo/zbrush (whatever the workflow is for that = later issue). I was just after being able to do the basic geometry a tad faster. Everything else in park. I'll post an update if it works :)

Woh, hold it.... model NOT = level... can't just import a model and call it a level.

Calling out for a solution! Come on devs or people with scary talents in the field of programming, this one is for you ;)
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    The best you could do was create level geometry in SketchUp, save it to the COLLADA format, and then import it into the Spark editor as a prop. There's no way you could create something in SketchUp and export it in a Spark .level format.

To be honest, the most efficient way you could possibly create basic level geometry would be to use the Spark editor. Particularly when it comes to considerations like making geometry invisible to the commander, or quickly making layout changes without having to worry about the pipeline from your editor of choice to the Spark .level format.

I realise that the Spark editor, being an in-progress tool, can be tough to work with at times, but I think it's fair to point out that all of the official maps, plus all the many community-created maps, were made using the Spark editor.