Engine compare

snooopssnooops Germany Join Date: 2008-12-08 Member: 65702Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Hi,
i just wanna know what the uwe engine delivers among the other engines? for example: why should i use the ns2 engine and not the source engine to create my own mod?

Comments

• weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1960470:date=Aug 10 2012, 02:12 PM:name=weezl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weezl @ Aug 10 2012, 02:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960470"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nanites!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Made me snicker, good show sir.

I think the main selling points of the Spark engine (current performance issues aside of course) are probably:

<ul><li>The lua side of things to not have to compile stuff to change small things</li><li>And of course the mapping side of things, once the editor gets a better texture tool, some of bugs sorted out and perhaps a few more features to make shapely shapes easier to create. I do believe it is a better WYSIWYG editor compared to Hammer, as it is indeed a real time editor and once you save your map it's ready to be tested/played, No compiling required.</li><li>Hotloading materials and scripts into the game using the builder tool, a real time program for most things. If you're working on a certain material file and have it set up on a model/wall in the game. You can simply have the game running with builder as well. Once you save the source file, builder will pick up on that and hotload it into the game</li><li>Real time dynamic lighting is a big feature of the engine as well</li></ul>

You've gottah keep in mind that UWE designed this engine to be easy to use by small teams, I think they managed that seeing NS2's development with a small team.

I've just dabbled a bit on the surface of the lua and materials, I'm sure the real modders can come in here and tell their story :D