jetPacks

hankyhanky Join Date: 2011-08-28 Member: 118944Members
I know this game is supposed to be asymetric...but whats the counter to marine jetpacks? The only negitive to the jetpack is the fact it runs out of juice. Other than that a good player with a jetpack can dash away from most aliens.

Maybe I just havn't seen it done but wouldn't it be cool if a gorge could shoot it down, or if the lerk's green smog could ground it.

Or even a skulk could grab ahold of one while it's flying and ground it.

Something, just feels like the jetpack has nothing that counters it other than a lerk that can shoot its spikes.

I don't think the jetpack should be nerfed persay, just think the aliens need something to fight back agasin't it.

Comments

• elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    Fade blink, skulk leap, lerk spikes. Only problem is that none of these are open with just one hive, because fade blink is still misplaced.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    the gorge in ns1 used to have webs - you have weld your way through them. that was epic :) but it was 3rd hive ability so you only unlocked towards the end of the game. But I guess jetpacks were end game weapon for the marines too.
    Also fades had acid rocket, that was a good counter for just about everything.

In ns2 if they can increase the range of Xenocide then it will be ok against jetpacks.

Maybe Hydras need a bit of a range increase also (anyone tried building hydras on top of a hive? not sure if it can be done).
  • RiseRise Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150595Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1960308:date=Aug 9 2012, 09:39 PM:name=elmo9000)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elmo9000 @ Aug 9 2012, 09:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960308"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fade blink, skulk leap, lerk spikes. Only problem is that none of these are open with just one hive, because fade blink is still misplaced.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    jetpacks aren't open with one hive either, and they are the only real way to compete with a blinking fade.
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960313:date=Aug 10 2012, 08:48 AM:name=Rise)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rise @ Aug 10 2012, 08:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960313"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->jetpacks aren't open with one hive either, and they are the only real way to compete with a blinking fade.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, i dont know. A couple of shotguns with high enough armor level should do just fine. Multiple CC's is pretty silly tho, yeah.
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1960312:date=Aug 10 2012, 12:48 AM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Aug 10 2012, 12:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960312"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the gorge in ns1 used to have webs - you have weld your way through them. that was epic :) but it was 3rd hive ability so you only unlocked towards the end of the game. But I guess jetpacks were end game weapon for the marines too.
    Also fades had acid rocket, that was a good counter for just about everything.

In ns2 if they can increase the range of Xenocide then it will be ok against jetpacks.

Maybe Hydras need a bit of a range increase also (anyone tried building hydras on top of a hive? not sure if it can be done).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Xeno is a third hive ability, don't know if that will help ;)

Hydras can be placed on the ceiling above hives, depending on which hive location it can be useful or not. I tend to try to spread the hydras on walls around the hive so they can shoot a jetpacker which is sitting on the hive or those who kneel below it to knife it.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960339:date=Aug 10 2012, 08:01 PM:name=Nakorson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nakorson @ Aug 10 2012, 08:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960339"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Xeno is a third hive ability, don't know if that will help ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What are we hoping to kill the marines with laughter? Xeno is sadly weaker than a pea shooter.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Lerk by itself is pretty effective against just one or maybe two jetpackers. That is even without spikes. A fade with blink is deadly against a jetpacker. Skulks with leap can often get a jetpacker also. An onos in a room with low ceilings is effective.
  • 3del!3del! Join Date: 2009-05-11 Member: 67386Members
    i think something like webs or paralize should be implemented, even though blink, leap and the lerk in general can compete with jetpacks. I feel that skilled marines with a skilled comm can outplay aliens otherwise. Maybe Focus could help as well, since in open areas, marines can alway just float around and be healed before they land.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    Hydras are a joke now.

Taken from; <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=117569&st=40&start=40" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...40&start=40</a>

<!--coloro:#2E8B57--><span style="color:#2E8B57"><!--/coloro-->hydra has light-damage type (no idea if it had that before or not, but it has now; light-damage is ineffective against armor as every armor point each blocks 4 light-damage points)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • Firepower01Firepower01 Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154658Members
    Yeah nerf the only thing the marines have going for them. Great idea.

I've been taken out by blinking fades and leaping skulks while jetpacking before. It just takes practice
  • Jonp_11Jonp_11 Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20161Members
    I think jetpacks right now are extremely powerful after all of the balance changes to aliens. Jetpacks are just too agile, maybe too much energy. You can practically stay floating in midair for 20 seconds if you tap the spacebar right.
  • NukoeNukoe Join Date: 2012-08-05 Member: 154821Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1960578:date=Aug 10 2012, 10:31 AM:name=Firepower01)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Firepower01 @ Aug 10 2012, 10:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1960578"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah nerf the only thing the marines have going for them. Great idea.

I've been taken out by blinking fades and leaping skulks while jetpacking before. It just takes practice<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I imagine it will be a lot easier as the game continues being optimized.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    My biggest issue is that by the time JPs come out, server performance is laggy enough to make it difficult to take them out (its the same issue marines have fighting lerks). Leap/Blink kills require a large degree of precision that its very hard to do when everythings warping around. Its especially bad in very open rooms (think warehouse on tram, flight on summit, generator on docking, cave on mineshaft, etc).