Secondary fires.

NukoeNukoe Join Date: 2012-08-05 Member: 154821Members
Any plans to implement secondary fire for more marine weapons? I recently started playing, and don't know exactly how much has been tweaked/added/removed...but I have noticed a lack of secondary options. The rifle has a melee attack, which is fine(if not a little boring), but what about the other weapons? Any plans? I'd really love to see something done with that. Add a little more interactivity and variety to the marines, and make each weapon feel a tad more unique. I saw the rifle have a grenade launcher in the trailer, haven't seen it in-game yet....and I heard something about a laser for the pistol? Sorry for my ignorance, again, I'm new.

Comments

• SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1957825:date=Aug 5 2012, 03:40 PM:name=Nukoe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nukoe @ Aug 5 2012, 03:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957825"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I saw the rifle have a grenade launcher in the trailer, haven't seen it in-game yet....and I heard something about a laser for the pistol? Sorry for my ignorance, again, I'm new.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The grenade launcher attachment for the assault rifle was removed from the game as it was believed to be over powered. The current grenade launcher is a placeholder from NS1 and will be replaced with a new model in one of the next patches.
  • 3del!3del! Join Date: 2009-05-11 Member: 67386Members
    The secondary fire of the pistol (laser pointer) was removed 1-2 patches ago. I don't really know why though.
    The grenade launcher upgrade for the rifle has been replaced by the grenade launcher, since it was op, and trivialised the normal rifle. The design goal for weaponry is to have very distinguished roles for each weapon.
  • NukoeNukoe Join Date: 2012-08-05 Member: 154821Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1957837:date=Aug 5 2012, 01:54 PM:name=Sops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sops @ Aug 5 2012, 01:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957837"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The grenade launcher attachment for the assault rifle was removed from the game as it was believed to be over powered. The current grenade launcher is a placeholder from NS1 and will be replaced with a new model in one of the next patches.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah, that's a shame. Wish they had been able to balance it, much cooler as an attachment. Do you know of any plans to add secondary fire modes for anything else...or is the game going in a 1 fire mode direction?

<!--quoteo(post=1957842:date=Aug 5 2012, 01:59 PM:name=3del!)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (3del! @ Aug 5 2012, 01:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957842"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The secondary fire of the pistol (laser pointer) was removed 1-2 patches ago. I don't really know why though.
    The grenade launcher upgrade for the rifle has been replaced by the grenade launcher, since it was op, and trivialised the normal rifle. The design goal for weaponry is to have very distinguished roles for each weapon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can respect that, having each weapon with a specific role so they don't overlap. If that's the case, I wouldn't mind seeing more minor upgrades for the weapons. For example, that laser sight seems like it could be a researchable upgrade that could apply to the rifle/pistol and shotgun. Nothing too overboard like a grenade launcher attachment, but something. I believe those weapons would still fill their respective role without an overlap even with a common upgrade.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Fyi, there is an edit button.

Having little upgrades seems like a pres sink for usually limited resources. If they were worth it, it would add some balance issues. Personally I think it is good as it is now.
  • XaragothXaragoth Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154720Members
    Shotgun Net-Shot please? So we can get some damn Lerks out of the sky! :P
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    It's actualy quite easy xara.
    Shotgun doubleshot would be nicer, fires 2 shots but pauses so you cat pop up a third in time to make it op.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I hadn't noticed, but you're right that only the rifle has a secondary fire now. I guess it could be removed pretty safely, then something else can go on mouse2 by default? Like Request Medpack...