Computer Freezes After Closing NS2

CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
<div class="IPBDescription">I'm forced to restart my PC :(</div>So after I exit the game, first my task-bar won't respond and 5 seconds later everything freezes. I wait awhile but nothing changes so I'm forced to restart my PC.

This is the 4th time it has happened. I don't know if I should play NS2 again until this is fixed. I'll play NS2 but I just hope it doesn't damage my PC every time I'm forced to restart my baby. I just hold the power button and it turns off and when I turn my PC back on, it takes me to the "windows didn't successfully shutdown" screen. Does this damage my PC? I hope not ;_;

<b>Anyways, here are my PC Specs:</b>
- AMD Phenomâ„¢ II X2 560 Black Edition
- GeForce® GTX 460 Sonic (1024MB GDDR5)
- Asus M4A88T-M AMD 880G AM3 Motherboard
- Corsair Dominator 4GB Kit (2 x 2GB) 1600MHz DDR3

I hope someone can help me or understand my problem so it can be fixed soon. Thank you everyone!!

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Is your CPU overclocked? The only time I've had freezing problems is due to OC issues. Ironically, NS2 is a better OC stress tester than a 12-hour double prime stress test (i.e. passed the later, but have failed the former).
  • CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
    I see. Thanks for your reply.
    I've never OverClocked my CPU. It's a 2-Core CPU with 2-Unlocked Cores. Would that be the reason? Also, does my PC get damaged every time this happens? I really wanna play, but I can wait for a fix if it's bad when my PC freezes and I'm forced to restart ;_;

Do the Developers normally post in these parts? I hope they can tell me it's being fixed or they can tell me what to do to fix my problem since it's happening with NS2.

Thanks.

;_; ;_; ;_;
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    UWE only sporadically checks the tech support section of the forum afaik. Windows is pretty robust now (presuming you have WinXP/Vista/7), such that shutting down unexpectedly really doesn't harm it much. I've probably had 100s of forced shutdowns, freezes, and BSODs in the course of OCing over the years and haven't it had harm my PCs.

As for figuring out the problem, you might want to try closing NS2 in a different matter to see if it still happens. You might try closing NS2 via
    - Typing exit into the console
    - Forcing close using the task manager
    to see if you have the same freezing issues.
  • CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
    edited August 2012
    Thanks, I will try all those. I have Win7 64-bit. The only 2 ways I've closed the game was through the menu and by Alt-F4 and both froze my PC, but it's random because sometimes it happens and other times it does not.

Also switching to desktop while I'm in-game forces the game to close, so I'll try that too.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1957397:date=Aug 5 2012, 03:12 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Aug 5 2012, 03:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957397"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is your CPU overclocked? The only time I've had freezing problems is due to OC issues. Ironically, NS2 is a better OC stress tester than a 12-hour double prime stress test (i.e. passed the later, but have failed the former).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS2 need CPU-Power, thats true. But stresstester? no
    The server run always around 25%, no matter what cpu you are using. The client use 2 cores, but never goes over 50% for me.

Thats not like a stresstest work ;)
  • zaimunzaimun Join Date: 2012-08-05 Member: 154805Members
    I would like to add that this is also happening to me.

Computer freezes after exiting the game. Haven't tried via task manager yet though
    <!--quoteo(post=1957497:date=Aug 5 2012, 12:33 AM:name=dePARA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dePARA @ Aug 5 2012, 12:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957497"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 need CPU-Power, thats true. But stresstester? no
    The server run always around 25%, no matter what cpu you are using. The client use 2 cores, but never goes over 50% for me.

Thats not like a stresstest work ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ah, sorry I should have said OC stability test. I've had bad OCs pass a 12hour double prime test, but led to a BSOD from playing NS2 for a few hours.
  • bEEbbEEb Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149317Members, NS2 Map Tester
    This used to happen to me. Not sure why it stopped. I havent changed anything. I do know that it will eventually "unhang" after a minute or so. See if it resolves itself after a minute.
  • NiklasdiverNiklasdiver Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146675Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can confirm this, keeps happening to me since i started playing back at build 196, this problem needs more attention.
  • sekcobrasekcobra Join Date: 2011-03-08 Member: 85250Members
    I am experiencing this problem with my GTX 670, I didn't have this issue on my ATI. After quiting a few hours long session, the computer image just froze completely after successfully quiting the game. Very annoying and serious issue.
  • SlowLeftySlowLefty Join Date: 2011-02-13 Member: 81653Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2012
    Also get this some times and did a complete wipe and re-install for build 222.

Never used to happen and do not get this 'freezing' on any other games or applications.

The desktop does start responding again after about 30 seconds.
  • duvelduvel Join Date: 2004-02-09 Member: 26318Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    alt-f4

good for a clean exit
  • kamupkamup Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155556Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1984701:date=Sep 29 2012, 07:24 PM:name=sekcobra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sekcobra @ Sep 29 2012, 07:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1984701"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am experiencing this problem with my GTX 670, I didn't have this issue on my ATI. After quiting a few hours long session, the computer image just froze completely after successfully quiting the game. Very annoying and serious issue.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This happened to me today. Long session and it freezes. I have ATI so I guess that's not the problem