Guns appearently shoot paper tissues

2»

Comments

• dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1957119:date=Aug 4 2012, 05:05 PM:name=Heyman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heyman @ Aug 4 2012, 05:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957119"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's nice to know you have a build that works for you, but that's a red herring.
    <i>
    "Why should we change X when I use Y instead and am also successful?"</i>

But I'll entertain the notion. I actually have a far easier time when Hive 1 is a Shift or Shade. It's when I notice the Crags. Always the Crags.

To put things into perspective, these are the benefits from carapace across the board:

Gorges get +72.7% effective health and an 8% movespeed reduction
    Lerks get +57.1% effective health and a 15% movespeed reduction
    Fades get +28.6% effective health and a 12% movespeed reduction
    The Onos gets +28.6% effective health and <12% movespeed reduction(numbers not updated for 215 yet)
    Skulks get <!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro--><b>+100% effective health</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> and an 8% movespeed reduction<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you go shift first, most of the "pros" beginning to flame you as an noob, cause you have ALWAYS upgrade to cara first, wich is nonsense for sure.
    The shift-hive is an really powerfull 1st hive upgrade in the right hand. (Front spawning eggs, really fast skulks, endless healing, teleporting whips to hotspots).

I think the problem isnt real the cara, its the fact the people didnt hit the targets.
    Lets wait for next patch with hopefully the chokeproblem is fixed. With constant fps in cloesfight and crowded areas, bad times for skulks will come.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1957119:date=Aug 4 2012, 12:05 PM:name=Heyman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heyman @ Aug 4 2012, 12:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957119"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's nice to know you have a build that works for you, but that's a red herring.
    <i>
    "Why should we change X when I use Y instead and am also successful?"</i>

But I'll entertain the notion. I actually have a far easier time when Hive 1 is a Shift or Shade. It's when I notice the Crags. Always the Crags.

To put things into perspective, these are the benefits from carapace across the board:

Gorges get +72.7% effective health and an 8% movespeed reduction
    Lerks get +57.1% effective health and a 15% movespeed reduction
    Fades get +28.6% effective health and a 12% movespeed reduction
    The Onos gets +28.6% effective health and <12% movespeed reduction(numbers not updated for 215 yet)
    Skulks get <!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro--><b>+100% effective health</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> and an 8% movespeed reduction<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree that carpace is the best upgrade for skulks by a large margin, but your math is slightly off for them.

Skulks have 10ap and 70hp base (ehp of 10x2 + 70 = 90ehp).
    Carapace bumps this to 50ap, 70 hp (ehp of 50x2 + 70 = 170)

Total ehp gain versus normal damage is 89% Gorges see an ehp gain of 55%. Lerks get 57%. Fades get 29%. Onos get 29%.
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1957127:date=Aug 4 2012, 09:42 AM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Aug 4 2012, 09:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957127"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree that carpace is the best upgrade for skulks by a large margin, but your math is slightly off for them.

Skulks have 10ap and 70hp base (ehp of 10x2 + 70 = 90ehp).
    Carapace bumps this to 50ap, 70 hp (ehp of 50x2 + 70 = 170)

Total ehp gain versus normal damage is 89% Gorges see an ehp gain of 55%. Lerks get 57%. Fades get 29%. Onos get 29%.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Math is hard. =/

Well, at least I managed to get the gist of calculations correct. Thanks for the heads up.
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    I was expecting this. With the flood of new players after Biscuits' review, it's become absolute mayhem. It's difficult accepting that someone is better than you in every way and dominates you with nothing but his skill set. It's always easier to call him a hacker. You have to consider everything that's been said here about the game itself but also, about the specs of the other players' rig. I run the game at an average of 16 fps, and try reaaally hard not to complain when i get shot by a marine's back or bitten by a skulks' ass.
  • plausiblesargeplausiblesarge Join Date: 2012-08-02 Member: 154558Members
    level 3 guns, level 3 armor, jetpacks and aiming. You will go far. Even onos fall easily to a small group of marines kitted out like that

if you cant get the aim part down, just grab the shotgun/flamethrower

no the guns are not pea shooters
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    If you want to see exactly how effective the guns are:

1. From the game menu, select "Create Game"
    2. Choose any map, and make sure "LAN game" is selected
    3. You're in the ready room. Open your console with the tilde key (" ~ " - to the left of the 1 key).
    4. Type <b>cheats 1</b>
    5. Type <b>j1</b>
    6. Type <b>give skulk</b> - be careful - he may bite!
    7. Exit the console mode with the tilde key.

Now you can shoot at a skulk and see how many bullets it takes to kill them. You'll find, not that many. You can also try this on different life forms: <b>give gorge</b>, <b>give lerk</b>, <b>give fade</b> and <b>give onos</b>. You can also go on the other side by pressing F4 to go back to the ready room, then joining the aliens side and <b>give marine</b> (not sure about that one - may have to <b>addbot</b> until you get a marine.
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    It's strange that I was able to kill 3 skulks with 1 lmg clip... and on weapons 0. Hmm.