Preventing Cyst Spam

XaragothXaragoth Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154720Members
So, I just had another game where the Alien Commander just kept spamming Cysts into the Marines area. This is really, really annoying. But there is an easy solution to the problem.

As long as an area has power, it will automatically begin procedures to contain the spread of Infestation, preventing Aliens from simply expanding as they please. It would add a bit more dynamic, since Marines might be able to repower an area, which will slowly fight the Infestation there, forcing Aliens to react to this by taking out the Power Node again or risk losing an entire area of Infestation.

Overall it would even everything out a little bit more, because right now Aliens have it a lot easier to expand and holding the area compared to Marines, since they aren't entirely bound by a single Power Node being their big weakness. Taking down a lot of Cysts takes time and is quite easy to defend for the mobile Alien players.

Comments

• Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    If you think cysts are spammable now, you dont want to know what it was like with energy.

Cysts arent really spammed, they cost a lot of res, they have a cool down, you can stop the spam by attacking the cysts where they enter an area.

If they have enough res to waste on placing cysts constantly, either its the end of the game, or you need to attack their resource nodes.
  • plausiblesargeplausiblesarge Join Date: 2012-08-02 Member: 154558Members
    I guess it is fair that command centers have a small radius around them so that commanders arent hindered when trying to build close to their command center. I am not sure though
  • H3lixH3lix Join Date: 2012-08-03 Member: 154722Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1956767:date=Aug 3 2012, 10:53 PM:name=Xaragoth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xaragoth @ Aug 3 2012, 10:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1956767"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So, I just had another game where the Alien Commander just kept spamming Cysts into the Marines area. This is really, really annoying. But there is an easy solution to the problem.

As long as an area has power, it will automatically begin procedures to contain the spread of Infestation, preventing Aliens from simply expanding as they please. It would add a bit more dynamic, since Marines might be able to repower an area, which will slowly fight the Infestation there, forcing Aliens to react to this by taking out the Power Node again or risk losing an entire area of Infestation.

Overall it would even everything out a little bit more, because right now Aliens have it a lot easier to expand and holding the area compared to Marines, since they aren't entirely bound by a single Power Node being their big weakness. Taking down a lot of Cysts takes time and is quite easy to defend for the mobile Alien players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

IMO if they have the resources to spam that many cysts right into your main base then they probably have most, if not all the RT's on the map meaning marines have few/no RT's. In this case it is more or less an inevitable defeat for marines. it just depends how hard they push and how well you fend it off. This would be a mid - late game problem and would leave your team plenty of time to counter it.
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited August 2012
    Cysts are not free, and flamethrowers demolish them like nothing else.
  • plausiblesargeplausiblesarge Join Date: 2012-08-02 Member: 154558Members
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1957005:date=Aug 4 2012, 11:01 PM:name=antacid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antacid @ Aug 4 2012, 11:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1957005"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cysts are not free, and flamethrowers demolish them like nothing else.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

/thread. Shotguns and Welders seem to do a good job as well
  • supsusupsu Join Date: 2012-04-24 Member: 151023Members, Squad Five Blue
    I think they need to cost 2tres instead of one, that'd help a lot. I think they are getting better now at least.