How translations are approved, and how do we pick admins

MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate placesValencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
edited December 2012 in Translation
First, you will notice that some translations have tons of strings translated, yet they are at 0% progress, this is because the percentage reflects how many approved strings that language has. This is a process reviewed by an admin. We intend to have at least one native speaker per translation, as this will guarantee a higher standard of quality than if we only relied on votes or an automatic system. Now, how do we choose admins?

I've already picked a few admins for the translations, but it's hard to judge who will do a good job, so it's a slow process. I'm going to try to get a way to see how much every user is contributing through the translation tool, if they follow the guidelines, etc. It won't be the only way to get noticed/chosen to approve the translations. I'm monitoring all the threads in this forum, even if I don't understand a single thing, at least I can see people being active about translations and discussing them, so that's a good way to notice who's involved in the projects or not. The posts in the big news post thread have helped me pick people too.

I have also consulted people I know that are native speakers of a few of the languages being translated to know who was doing a good job at it so I could pick someone, as I obviously cannot judge how good of a translation it is if I'm not a native speaker.

<b>Admins:</b>
Bulgarian - WildBeast
Chinese (Simplified) - axamdeep
Chinese (Traditional) - nggdowt
Croatian - ArcLight
Czech - gage
Dutch - Angelusz
English (British) - Obraxis
French - Atlan/Regnareb
German - Koruyo
Italian - cico
Japanese - a8085
Korean - MzMz
Norwegian - Thrillseeker/tankefugl
Polish - AceDude
Portuguese (Brazil) - hit321
Russian - Well
Spanish - Mendasp
Swedish - Jibrail (retired) - Agiel
Turkish - agassparkle

<b>Translations without admins:</b>
Arabic
Danish
Finnish
Greek
Hungarian
Lithuanian
Portuguese (Portugal)
Romanian
Slovak

Post here if you have any doubts (or recommendations for people!).

Comments

• MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Updated with list of admins.
  • hit321hit321 Join Date: 2007-11-17 Member: 62942Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    How can we know if some language will be launched on the game? And when?
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    I have no idea, they said translations wouldn't go out with 1.0, so I suppose they'll announce their plans when they're ready (we're still missing support for certain characters/alphabets).