Word orders, genders, hardcoded strings, etc

MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate placesValencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
edited August 2012 in Translation
As you may or may not be aware, there still some parts of the game that can't be translated, or you can't alter the order (and you absolutely need it) or, for some languages, the genders are wrong because one term is used for multiple things.

I'd like to get a list of what your needs are, so I can pass it along to the devs. There's 3 big items to address:

- Genders: For spanish, we can't directly translate "Mature/Newborn" as these strings are used for things like "Mature Whip", "Mature Hive", etc, and sometimes they have different genders, so that poses a problem, I don't know if other languages need this, or what the needs of other languages other than mine are, so this is why a new thread where we can compile all the issues left can work. In this case, I think just getting rid of the string and just outright saying the mature % alone would probably fix this and still convey the same to the players, but it's obviously not my call.

- Hardcoded strings: If there are things that can't be translated (hardcoded), please post it here so I can pass it along to the devs. I've been doing this for a while and I still have a few left from a gigantic pass on it I did a while ago.

- Word orders: The "Unbuilt/Unpowered X" in the Commander view when selecting a building needs to be changed order in spanish, I'm not sure if other languages need it, but that's the one I'm aware of for my language. This is also hardcoded, so you can't even translate it for now, but the word order example is still valid.

So, if you add the ones you need changed in any of those 3 categories (with a short explanation) I will be periodically sending the devs this information so we can get this stuff corrected.

Thanks everyone for the help, it is immensely appreciated.

Comments

• nggdowtnggdowt Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154461Members
    Hi this might be things that you already notice ages ago but I'll post it anyway, just to get this thread going :>

Hardcore string : all the buttons and strings in the server selection panel ("Refreshing..." , "join" e.t.c)

font/encoding issues : I am not sure about other languages but for traditional chinese, most of the strings can be display properly such as kills,deaths on score board. But the other half seems to encounter encoding problem. for example, the "Team resources: ", "Commander: " and "No Commander" string under the minimap, also the "buy" string in armory buy menu. It seems like all the Strings that requires a special font didn't work.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Yeah, the main menu is all hardcoded, that's known.

I was told that chinese (or other languages outside of the latin alphabet) would probably not get support before 1.0, it's a problem with the font, we're actually having problems now for non-english languages because it's missing our "special" characters, I think this is getting fixed, but I'm not sure about other alphabets, so it could get non-latin alphabet support before 1.0, but it's looking like it won't be fixed until after 1.0. I think axamdeep was modifying the fonts himself to work around this.
  • hit321hit321 Join Date: 2007-11-17 Member: 62942Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Hey, a letter "í" isnt showing on the game.

String: EVOLUTION_AVAILABLE ("%s evolution available")

The translation: Habilidade %s disponível

It's Showing: HABILIDADE CARAPACE DISPONVEL
    (without the " í " letter)

On portuguese, we have the same problem to translate "Mature" and "Newborn". I think that is the only words that is ruining some translations.

And some translations I can fix letters with accent like "você" and "está", that was appearing "VOCê" and "ESTá" just letting the string with all letter in uppercase.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1958392:date=Aug 7 2012, 03:52 AM:name=hit321)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hit321 @ Aug 7 2012, 03:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1958392"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey, a letter "í" isnt showing on the game.

String: EVOLUTION_AVAILABLE ("%s evolution available")

The translation: Habilidade %s disponível

It's Showing: HABILIDADE CARAPACE DISPONVEL
    (without the " í " letter)

On portuguese, we have the same problem to translate "Mature" and "Newborn". I think that is the only words that is ruining some translations.

And some translations I can fix letters with accent like "você" and "está", that was appearing "VOCê" and "ESTá" just letting the string with all letter in uppercase.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The alien font is not displaying accents, it's the same in all languages, the font will be replaced at some point to allow that.

The other problem you mention is reported too, lua doesn't convert special characters from lowercase to uppercase, so we'll see what's done there, but it is known.
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    edited August 2012
    Genders is a big problem... Also some words like "attack" in English this is both a noun and a verb, in Greek though (and other languages of course) there is a noun and a verb, not a single word. I keep finding more and more words like this. What could be done about this, or how could we go around about translating it?

I suppose we could just use the noun version of the word and it would make sense, but the problem is if the particular word will be used to create a phrase, just like with the gender one...
  • hit321hit321 Join Date: 2007-11-17 Member: 62942Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1959111:date=Aug 8 2012, 10:57 AM:name=cake.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cake. @ Aug 8 2012, 10:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959111"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Genders is a big problem... Also some words like "attack" in English this is both a noun and a verb, in Greek though (and other languages of course) there is a noun and a verb, not a single word. I keep finding more and more words like this. What could be done about this, or how could we go around about translating it?

I suppose we could just use the noun version of the word and it would make sense, but the problem is if the particular word will be used to create a phrase, just like with the gender one...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My suggestion: open the NS2 game in windowed mode, and while you play you translate the strings.