Portuguese (Brazil) Translation

hit321hit321 Join Date: 2007-11-17 Member: 62942Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
<div class="IPBDescription">Discussion about a Portuguese (Brazil) translation of NS2</div>Well, as the discussion at the original post of translation of NS2 the Guidelines will change (already changed on the day of this thread).
And knowing that the primary issue for translate is THINKING ON THE INTERNATIONALY UNDERSTOOD OF THE PLAYERS.

So, I think that we NOT should translate (is a Guideline, not RULE):

<!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>A L I E N S</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>Names:</b>
<ul><li>ALIENS (or ALIEN)</li></ul>
<b>Lifeforms</b>:
<ul><li>SKULK</li><li>GORGE</li><li>LERK</li><li>FADE</li><li>ONOS</li></ul>
<b>Standard Structures</b>:
<ul><li>HIVE</li><li>CYST</li><li>HARVESTER</li><li>WHIP</li></ul>
<b>Advanced Structures</b>:
<ul><li>CRAG</li><li>SHADE</li><li>SHIFT</li><li>SHELL</li><li>VEIL</li><li>SPUR</li></ul>
<b>Others Structures</b>:
<ul><li>HYDRA</li><li>CLOG</li></ul>
<b>Evolutions</b>
<ul><li>CARAPACE</li><li>REGENERATION</li><li>FEINT</li><li>SILENCE</li><li>CAMOUFLAGE</li><li>CELERITY</li><li>ADRENALINE</li><li>HYPERMUTATION</li></ul>
<b>Others</b>
<ul><li>ALIEN COMMANDER</li><li>ALIEN VISION</li><li>INFESTATION</li><li>BABBLERS</li></ul><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>M A R I N E S:</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>Names:</b>
<ul><li>MARINES (or just MARINE)</li><li>COMMANDER</li><li>ARC</li><li>MAC</li></ul>
<b>Structures</b>:
<ul><li>COMMAND STATION</li><li>EXTRACTIR</li><li>INFANTRY PORTAL</li><li>ARMORY (or ADVANCED ARMORY)</li><li>ROBOTICS FACTORY</li><li>ARMS LAB</li><li>SENTRY TURRENT</li><li>OBERVATORY</li><li>PHASE GATE</li><li>PROTOTYPE LAB</li><li>POWER PACK</li></ul>
<b>Weapons:</b>
<ul><li>ASSAULT RIFLE (or just RIFLE)</li><li>PISTOL</li><li>AXE</li><li>SHOTGUN</li><li>GRENADE LAUNCHER</li><li>FLAMETHROWER</li><li>MINIGUN</li></ul>
<b>Wearable Equipment:</b>
<ul><li>MINE</li><li>WELDER</li><li>JETPACK</li><li>EXOSKELETON</li></ul>
<b>Others:</b>
<ul><li>Exosuit</li></ul>

I forgot some?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
So, Commander, Alien, Name of places, and anything that in the game need be understood internationally shouldn't be translated.

EVOLVEs have some issues like:
Abilities like Carapace Shell or Adrenaline Spur should still in english, but can have a little mix of portuguese, staying:
'Shell com Carapace' and 'Spur com Adrenaline'.

-Porque é a estrutura X com a habilidade ativada Y.

Is important understand the context where this strings will be in the game.
So pay attention on Guidelines and the contexto where the strings will be to vote on a translation.

Translate all the names quoted up would a reason to translate all the game to portuguese, but isn't the intension of UWE.

Comments

• hit321hit321 Join Date: 2007-11-17 Member: 62942Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited August 2012
    Many players from Brazil that play(ed) NS1 and that will play NS2. But is been hard to find some with interests for help translating.
    Today I found one more.

Have many fellow translating strings that shouldn't be translated.

Obs.: I'm using some times the Spanish translation to guide for the Portuguese.

> I translated more than 98%. And some other things already had been translated.
  • kobjaguerkobjaguer Join Date: 2011-05-22 Member: 100088Members
    i gave up on this translation as i think will be utterly useless and incomplete if its "half" done, as it is now you will end up with a english word most of the time, making it incorrect in its totality
  • hit321hit321 Join Date: 2007-11-17 Member: 62942Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Some ScreenShots with some translations.

Link: <a href="http://imgur.com/a/7wKrH#0" target="_blank">http://imgur.com/a/7wKrH#0</a>
  • kobjaguerkobjaguer Join Date: 2011-05-22 Member: 100088Members
    algumas opinioes:

1) +1 de "REC" ao inves de "Res" devido a mudança de resource para recursos
    2) correção errada de disponIvel para carapace ( faltou I)
    3) recursoS do time
    4) Power node sob ataque EM crossroads
    5) Evoluir PARA hive craig (isso tem algums casos como por exemplo spur que fica certo mas nesse caso nao, nesse sentido faz entender que a hive ja é craig e esta evoluindo para alguma coisa acima)
    <!--quoteo(post=1959209:date=Aug 8 2012, 02:48 PM:name=kobjaguer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kobjaguer @ Aug 8 2012, 02:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1959209"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->algumas opinioes:

1) +1 de "REC" ao inves de "Res" devido a mudança de resource para recursos
    2) correção errada de disponIvel para carapace ( faltou I)
    3) recursoS do time
    4) Power node sob ataque EM crossroads
    5) Evoluir PARA hive craig (isso tem algums casos como por exemplo spur que fica certo mas nesse caso nao, nesse sentido faz entender que a hive ja é craig e esta evoluindo para alguma coisa acima)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1) RES é universal, então é um termo que é entendido universalmente.
    2) Algumas strings do time dos aliens ainda não possui tratamento de letras com acentos. Mas será corrigido.
    3) Corrigido. Alterei então o X recursos do time (na tela de players) para X de Res do time, para ficar dentro do contexto, sendo também que está com Res na coluna dos jogadores.
    4) "NA" fica mais contextualizado. Pense no sentido de que é no presente que está ocorrendo a ação. E é na área que ocorre.
    5) CORRIGIDO
  • MauhurMauhur Join Date: 2012-10-12 Member: 162122Members
    I'm a little (very) late but I'll be doing some hard work on the translating/voting/helping or whatever is needed. I'd also like to call everyone still working on this to review some of the translations (At least the voted ones, not the in use ones) since there's no standard. Most voted include "X completada", "Y completa", "Z construída" or "Destruir a Command Station", "Coloca ARC", "Aumenta armadura", "Permite a construção" and I feel like it'd be smoother if similar translations followed the same pattern.
    Perfect, but you'll see a standard, like "conluída" and not "completada" or "completa", thinking on the smoother translations and the context.
    Will be good if you suggest translations here, because what already was APROVED, will be hard for me find.
  • BahaBaha Join Date: 2012-10-28 Member: 164159Members
    Hey dude!! If you need any help in translating something feel free to nug me!! I'll help ya in any way I can!!

I totally agree that we shouldn't translate the main name guidelines as you suggested. This would help a global NS2 understanding. Although, if possible, we should translate the full meaning of it. As an example, I'd like to use the following screenshot you submitted:

<a href="http://i.imgur.com/XVwbOh.jpg" target="_blank">http://i.imgur.com/XVwbOh.jpg</a>

My opinion is that, being NS2 an immersion FPS/RTS, we should provide as much information as we can:

Feign Death
    "Fingir-se de morto" permite que, após receber um dano fatal, você continue vivo mas com pouca vida.

This way people can understand more easily what the skill actually means beside in-game statuses. This contributes to a more immersive gameplay, based on something more than mere numbers and statuses, you follow?