NS2 Optimization

CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Question for the Developers</div><b>Tl;dr When I started playing, I got the impression that this game might try to go off as a Next Gen PC game, meaning everyone has to upgrade for this newer looking game. Its just a thought I got after it run sooo slow with the lowest settings and the release within 2 months, so it worries me that this is as good as I'll be able to play it ;_; They also haven't announced PC requirements to play this game ;_; I hope that's a good thing. I just want the Developer to confirm that this game will be much more playable soon and will optimize NS2 for most people's decent PCs. Read on if you'd like.</b>

I played all day today and I gotta say I can't play anymore until the game actually runs normal on my PC. I had to change the graphics settings to the lowest possible to play it. No bloom, no nothing. Even had to drop to the lowest resolution and it looks really ugly but I tried to play to see all the new maps and play as most of the aliens. It looks horrible on my PC and it's still lagging ;_; I can play any other game but this one being the game I really wanna play and it sucks that it's still in beta and barely playable, barely ;_;

I know I'm not the only one with this problem, so it should be getting worked on by the small team. So the question is: When will the team focus on making the game more playable in terms of making NS2 run faster on everyone's PC? Maybe you guys started on it, but I keep seeing posts about the game running slower instead of faster and the claim of the game getting its long awaited optimization now only come from users. I want to hear it from the Devs themselves that they're focusing on this major issue. I'd like to see the rest of the Features implemented too, but I really really wanna see this run on my PC too!

I know it has to do with my PC being 3.3GHz. What am I gonna do? I'm not going out to buy a better piece of hardware anytime soon. TB, I'm sure has the same issue, as his is 3.2GHz too, which is why he had to travel to the UWE Studio to play the game. So I'm assuming UWE isn't really working on it, it's more like they'll get around to it after they finish balancing the game, which is forever because you'll always have to keep making change no matter what. I wanna play this so badly and I don't wanna sound like a brat because I respect the Dev team, but I'll be patient enough if they're confirm they're doing something about this so I know I didn't pre-order a game that isn't going to run fine on my PC. So are you guys? This is the first time I ever pre-ordered a game too, lmao. I normally say fu to pre-orders, but I loved NS1 too much, so I had to give some green.

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• PerestroikaPerestroika Join Date: 2011-07-24 Member: 111955Members, NS2 Map Tester
    are you testing perf local or over internet
  • CobraCommanderCobraCommander Join Date: 2012-07-30 Member: 154472Members
    edited August 2012
    I have no idea. On the lowest resolution which makes the menus run normal, all the letters were squashed together and I just got in any games. I should be looking for Local games then? My monitor is a 24", I think, so that's probably why everything was so bunched in, lol.
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    The game at the moment doesnt run acceptable on any hardware people have right now, so performance remains the biggest thing they need to improve. They do know that its a huge issue, and are working on it. Sadly the progress on that department hasnt been too great so far, but we shall see if they can pull off some huge increase before the game is released.
    <!--quoteo(post=1955808:date=Aug 1 2012, 10:50 PM:name=elmo9000)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elmo9000 @ Aug 1 2012, 10:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955808"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The game at the moment doesnt run acceptable on any hardware people have right now, so performance remains the biggest thing they need to improve. They do know that its a huge issue, and are working on it. Sadly the progress on that department hasnt been too great so far, but we shall see if they can pull off some huge increase before the game is released.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'll take your word for it, my friend. I'll be hoping they can pull it off. Would be great if Devs can reply though.
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think the last few patches did a lot for performance, and I actually don't have that big problems myself playing this game comapred to other online games. There is lag sometimes in this game like in others, but it doesn't affect me. I do however have a quite new PC, and I more often blame my own lack of skills when dying, than the connection or the game.
    <!--quoteo(post=1955814:date=Aug 1 2012, 10:55 PM:name=Grimfang)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Grimfang @ Aug 1 2012, 10:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955814"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the last few patches did a lot for performance, and I actually don't have that big problems myself playing this game comapred to other online games. There is lag sometimes in this game like in others, but it doesn't affect me. I do however have a quite new PC, and I more often blame my own lack of skills when dying, than the connection or the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I envy you ;_; I wish I spent a little bit more on my rig...
  • PerestroikaPerestroika Join Date: 2011-07-24 Member: 111955Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1955807:date=Aug 1 2012, 10:49 PM:name=CobraCommander)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CobraCommander @ Aug 1 2012, 10:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955807"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have no idea. On the lowest resolution which makes the menus run normal, all the letters were squashed together and I just got in any games. I should be looking for Local games then? My monitor is a 24", I think, so that's probably why everything was so bunched in, lol.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No Im saying the game runs better on servers with good hardware, as to say perhaps its not your pc that is at fault performance wise.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    They are working with top priority on optimization and the last two builds were a relieve for my pc. It runs much faster. Also the server performance has increased but is far from a final stage right now. This is why only a few over clocked servers are running the game fine. In eu this is mostly HBZ but also oldassgamers. If the server can't keep up the speed with more and more buildings placed during the game, you will experience fps-loss that has nothing to do with your machines performance.

Optimization comes last. They working on it. Nobody knows how good performance will get. Wait for it.
    <!--quoteo(post=1955816:date=Aug 1 2012, 10:56 PM:name=Perestroika)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Perestroika @ Aug 1 2012, 10:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955816"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No Im saying the game runs better on servers with good hardware, as to say perhaps its not your pc that is at fault performance wise.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, right at the beginning, the main menu, it's really really slow, so it might not be the servers. The menu did get to a normal pace after I dropped to the lowest res. then I got in-game and every time it looked jacked up and leggy.

I guess I'll have to wait and play the "be patient" game, I mean not post rage threads after a month of waiting. I can wait awhile though, don't worry about me :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1955816:date=Aug 1 2012, 10:56 PM:name=Perestroika)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Perestroika @ Aug 1 2012, 10:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955816"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No Im saying the game runs better on servers with good hardware, as to say perhaps its not your pc that is at fault performance wise.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, right at the beginning, the main menu, it's really really slow, so it might not be the servers. The menu did get to a normal pace after I dropped to the lowest res. then I got in-game and every time it looked jacked up and leggy.

I guess I'll have to wait and play the "be patient" game, I mean not post rage threads after a month of waiting. I can wait awhile though, don't worry about me :) I was hoping to play it as nice as the NS2HD channel, but damn, it looks like ###### on my end.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Have you updated your graphic cards drivers? What graphic card have you? What is your OS?
  • {GGs} Chicken{GGs} Chicken Join Date: 2011-11-22 Member: 134663Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Don't worry TC, UWE has a whole MONTH to fix the bad performance. Take this pixie dust and believe!
    <!--quoteo(post=1955823:date=Aug 2 2012, 10:19 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Aug 2 2012, 10:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955823"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Have you updated your graphic cards drivers? What graphic card have you? What is your OS?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

None of that really matters. Its not going to run at acceptable framerates with any kind of hardware right now.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have 4.5ghz already, but even my computer saw performance increases the last two builds. I now avg 75 fps not 60. Its a small gain but a gain. They are bringing down the requirements.
    edited August 2012
    Awesome! I took Perestroika's advice and looked through a couple of different servers until I finally got to one that wasn't lagging as much!! I'm having a blast with Aliens now! It lags more when you confront enemies and in the late game as others have said but damn, this is an improvement! This game is pure gold. I can't wait for those performance updates in the future!
    <!--quoteo(post=1955827:date=Aug 2 2012, 09:35 AM:name=elmo9000)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elmo9000 @ Aug 2 2012, 09:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955827"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->None of that really matters. Its not going to run at acceptable framerates with any kind of hardware right now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow, than I must have wonder-hardware. Maybe it's my GForce 8800GTS that gives me 40-60FPS. I'm such a lucky one. :D
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    Now that you have found a good server you might want to try putting your graphical settings and resolution back high again. The performance of the game is mostly limited by client and server CPUs running the game logic code. Thus lowering resolution and graphics settings doesn't make it perform better. Just try it out and see how it goes. If it lags more you can always go back to low quality and low res.
    <!--quoteo(post=1955840:date=Aug 2 2012, 11:33 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Aug 2 2012, 11:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955840"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow, than I must have wonder-hardware. Maybe it's my GForce 8800GTS that gives me 40-60FPS. I'm such a lucky one. :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In the readyroom/spawn queue maybe. If you never drop below 40 in gameplay at all, then that surely is a miracle. And maybe its just me, but i wouldnt call 40-60fps acceptable in a fps game that tries to become e-sport.
    So it boils down to a subjective opinion. "acceptable framerates" is not "good framterate" or "perfect framerate". For me are steady 30fps acceptable. 40-60 are good and 70 or higher perfect. But sure it is breaking down in end game. But I'm not interested in e-sport anymore. So, I'm fine with this.
    Of course it comes down to personal opinion what is acceptable, and what isnt.

It just annoys me when everyone always says that "the game runs just fine", "framerate is great!" when someone asks. Then the guy who asks buys the game and 2 days later we get thread like this.
  • JowJow Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106032Members
    Performance has been increasing lately but it's still pretty poor.

I think by release a constant 60+ client side will be possible on relatively modern builds, but I doubt it'll run that well on anything older than the high end of the pre Sandy Bridge CPU gen.

I'm more worried about server side, IIRC atm you still need a very high end server to run at constant 30 ticks even after the jump in perf a patch or two ago.

Plus 30 ticks is pretty low really and it would be ideal if that eventually gets up to 40 at least, 60+ would be even better but not so necessary.
    It is planned to increase it to 60ticks at release.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    I've also had a lot of problems with performance. I noticed that I was spending more time complaining about the game than playing it a few months ago, so I decided to take everyone's advice (lol) and stop playing for a while. Now I'm back 3 months later and its gotten worse.

Its entirely possible that performance in game logic and rendering has been improved, but my problem lies in latency and how the engine deals with it. I feel that certain effects from latency have been magnified in order to tone down the effects of other, more prevalent issues. This in turn has made the game completely nonsensical for the most part, making events seem almost random. I suppose this is UW's best course of action, since very few people are forced to play with high pings, but its still annoying.

As for acceptable frame rates, I don't think its the average frame rate that's important. People can pretty much adjust to any scenario, even if its 15 fps. Sure, its not ideal and won't do you any favours, but if you play with it enough you will get used to it. The problem is erratic jumping of frame rate. My average frame rate is around 25, but my max is about 40 and my minimum is around 10. When FPS fluctuates like that, mouse sensitivity changes, fire rate changes, target speed changes, lead distance changes. The fluctuation is essentially what makes the game unplayable. I would trade max 40 min 10 for a constant 20 any day.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    edited August 2012
    There was some infos about optimizing the lua VM at some point but we didn't heard anything about it for a while now.
  • CicoCico Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33169Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    What worries me is that thay are loosing time trying to balance the game right now, but once the game plays smooth and the marines will be able to aim as good as they should, everything will need to be balanced again.

I think they should do some optimization before adding all the features of the game.
  • Hunter.S.T.Hunter.S.T. Join Date: 2012-05-26 Member: 152596Members
    i thought they were making a lot of progress with optimisation. This build, has given me massive improovements.

Im not a programmer, and im not familiar with how making a game should progress. I just have faith in uwes ability in making games, im not sure why people are so worried about them making the game deadline, im sure if there was any reason to be worried, they would just release the game slightly later.

The game seems almost feature complete to me, and seems more polished with every build. It seem like 2 months to complete the game is a reachable goal to me, i gained 10-20 fps in the last build, 2 more builds like that, and i cant imagine my complaining about the fps (got 6 core 3 gig processor), 2 months allows for 7-8 more builds?

I say, dont feel worried by the impending deadline, be excited :D
  • SlamHanniganSlamHannigan Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153952Members
    edited August 2012
    These are the pitfalls of making your own engine from scratch. Considering that though, they're doing better than some "professionally"-developed games I've seen. This really is slowly turning more and more into the kind of big-deal game PCs need.

But, naturally, we'll encounter problems before release. Rare for a game to have a flawless release. Look at what's been done since alpha, then look at the game now. I got faith.
  • atLaNNatLaNN Join Date: 2004-08-03 Member: 30327Members, Constellation
    I'm having no performance issues at all. (even when @ max details) - GTX 570/i5 2500K

And i'm used to play FPS games @ low details to get more fps and stability.
    Ever seen a "pro" CS player playing @ max details/resolution ? Nope. ^^

Sometimes, you gotta choose ;)
  • deathmongerdeathmonger Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153953Members
    I have an i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz paired with a GTX 570 and I start out with 80FPS but end up with around 55-60 by the end of a long game or if a server hasn't been restarted in a while. My wife's 1090T @ 3.9GHz paired with a GTX 470 produces 20-25FPS lower than that.

The game definitely still needs a lot of optimization work done to it. You have to expect that most consumers don't want to spend more than $1,000 on a computer and that also within that group most don't want to or don't don't know how to safely overclock their computer.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Performance is our #1 priority right now. We have 3 programmers whose current focus is almost exclusively performance. It is easier to deal with the performance now that we are feature complete, because the game code is not changing all the time and causing fluctuating performance as new features get added.

There were a lot of optimizations last patch, and there will be a lot more this next patch. Some impact the server side more then the client, some impact the client more then the server. We are profiling all the different layers of the game, and finding where the biggest gains can be had, but there is no one area that will suddenly double the framerate by fixing. It is a lot of small wins that will keep adding up until the game is running at the rate that we want it to be (which is much much faster then where it currently is).

There will continue to be other balance changes, useability improvements, and bug fixes/polish done to the game, as that stuff is also very necessary in order to get the game in a shipping state, but it does not mean that work on optimization ever stops.

--Cory