are breakable/weldable doors still in for 1.0?

WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Comments

• killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There in right now...
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    This^

Right now you can
    - Temp lock a door by hitting use on the edge (where the panel is)
    - Weld a door shut with your welder
    - Break a welded door using the onos

However, its usually not a good idea to weld a door shut, since in most cases it will block marine movement more than alien (since aliens are faster and can use vents). However, I have blocked fades/lerks from escaping before with the temp lock feature (especially at the door just north of drill repair on mineshaft).
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    oh, what? didn't even notice.
  • RiseRise Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150595Members
    Would be nice to be able to weld some vents shut
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have seen an broken welded doors. I have never figured out how to weld them. Hold E and weld doesn't seem to work.
  • NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    I've never noticed this feature in game. Also, there are panels that look like they can be welded, but when welded no progress percentage shows up, even though the blue sparks that say, "hey, you're welding something successfully!" show up. What are those?
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1955736:date=Aug 1 2012, 08:05 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Aug 1 2012, 08:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955736"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This^

Right now you can
    - Temp lock a door by hitting use on the edge (where the panel is)
    - Weld a door shut with your welder
    - Break a welded door using the onos

However, its usually not a good idea to weld a door shut, since in most cases it will block marine movement more than alien (since aliens are faster and can use vents). However, I have blocked fades/lerks from escaping before with the temp lock feature (especially at the door just north of drill repair on mineshaft).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Seems like it would only make sense if marines have 'enough' res towers (whatever that number is) and want to bunker down rather than push into alien territory. Not sure if any weldable doors on any maps are actually in positions to do that though.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1955760:date=Aug 1 2012, 08:24 PM:name=james888)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (james888 @ Aug 1 2012, 08:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955760"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have seen an broken welded doors. I have never figured out how to weld them. Hold E and weld doesn't seem to work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I haven't tried myself, but I imagine buying a welder and actually shooting the door with it would get you there.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    sub access to crossroads door would be good to weld if you're pushing from sub to data, to prevent flanking attacks on the push. there really aren't that many doors anyway.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1955770:date=Aug 1 2012, 07:34 PM:name=Typhon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Typhon @ Aug 1 2012, 07:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955770"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seems like it would only make sense if marines have 'enough' res towers (whatever that number is) and want to bunker down rather than push into alien territory. Not sure if any weldable doors on any maps are actually in positions to do that though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If the alien hive is locker rooms. It is really good to weld that. It denies the aliens half the map.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Locker rooms doesnt has a door anymore, only onos bar. on the presumption that yes, it does lock of half the map. it's won me many a game, and it only cost me 5 res. :p
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm gonna go out and weld me some doors, thanks for the tip. I have only seen one door welded ingame, and had no idea what had happened
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Have tried it but never could weld the door. How do you do it? Where do I have to weld? On the closed door it didn't work.
  • DggMuffinDggMuffin Join Date: 2012-05-28 Member: 152684Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1955824:date=Aug 2 2012, 12:23 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Aug 2 2012, 12:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955824"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Have tried it but never could weld the door. How do you do it? Where do I have to weld? On the closed door it didn't work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just started a LAN server to test it out with cheats. You can still hit "e" to close the door temporarily, but you cannot weld it. You used to be able to look at the closed door (the actual metal doors, not the pad on the side) and have a welder out and start welding (you would see the % increase as if you were healing a building). Now, for some reason, the welder doesn't weld the door shut.

Taken out of game? Bug overlooked because nobody uses it? I really like the mechanic even if it was rarely implemented.
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Same problem, I tried a lot, but can't weld the door, this was in a live game.
  • DggMuffinDggMuffin Join Date: 2012-05-28 Member: 152684Members
    Bring back weldable doors. I know there are only a couple per map but they make for more dynamic gameplay.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    I'd like the doors the be locked all the time and only opened by marines, infestation, or smashed open by an Onos. To emphasize on early vent gameplay and alien expansion. There is nothing like the feeling that on the other side of the door, there could be 8 skulks ready to ambush you.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2012
    With clog/hydra walls(the fewer routes to a point the easier to block access with a single gorge), faster movement speed of aliens - and the way doors are positioned... welding a door hurts marines usually more than it helps them. (if they were positioned in great places - it would be too good)

There is always one guy that doesnt listen and just welds doors for fun -> the potential to ruin your game from the very beginning. (lots of possible rage in pubs)

Welding doors could be fun in a some kind of zombie mod or whatever with special maps... but for standard ns2 i cant really see it being a good mechanic. (at least no the way it was)
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Koruyo, that generaly depends on the state of affairs, aswell as the map itself. i generaly request my folks welding the maintinence access door if i'm in sub access, and aliens are in data core, for example. alot less flanking of my troops attacking data core throught ventilation. so it can be a double edged sword. i only wish gorge walls were also double edged swords. (best we get o that is the bug where cysts sometimes dont drop when it comes to going past dems gorge walls. being really annoying for the khamm)
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Welding doors doesn't really help marines that much, where as vents on the other hand would help massively...
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1955760:date=Aug 2 2012, 03:24 AM:name=james888)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (james888 @ Aug 2 2012, 03:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1955760"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have seen an broken welded doors. I have never figured out how to weld them. Hold E and weld doesn't seem to work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Press 'E' on the panel on the right side of the door.
    The door then shuts for a few seconds, where you can weld it shut.

I think the current welding mechanic is extremely boring, and it got so little tactical depth to it.
    As koruyo says, in most cases it only hurts marines to weld a door.
    Here is my suggestion to what could make doors a little more interesting throughout the entire game:
    1. Change doors to be locked/unlocked by the marine commander.
    2. Doors start off in locked state, so the marine commander don't have to go around locking all the doors at gamestart.
    3. Locked doors can be damaged by any alien, and opened by any marine on the panel.
    4. Give doors a decent amount of HP in the locked state.
    5. Destroyed doors can be replaced for a team res cost.
    6. Locked doors can be welded shut, like now.

That would force the marine commander to pay attention and unlock doors under attack, so that he doesn't lose them.
    That means that locked doors won't completely block off alien traffic, but it will alert the marines when aliens are coming that way.
    And it will make doors favour marines a little bit again, but in a more balanced, and more fun way for aliens.
    Instead of just being blocked off from a path, you have the choice to attack the door or find another (faster) way to your destination.
    At the moment they really only favour aliens(simple LOS block, unless you go close it to).