free hydras

WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">yet another topic</div>with the new hydra build times, 4x gorge rush is uncounterable. please bring back at least some marginal (5 pres) cost for hydras. treat them like marine mines. on that note, buff mines, they do nothing to cara skulks now.

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    If we are on the topic of hyrdras....

How about make hydras upgradable. Make them a tad weaker than they are now but also allow the gorge to upgrade them to something a bit stronger than they are now.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Free hydras were a bad idea when they were put in and they are still a bad idea to this day. News at 11. The new gorge build times and out of control heal rates only highlight the issue. :/
  • {LoC}Blue_Leader{LoC}Blue_Leader Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 144025Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    What was the big deal with Gorges buying Hydras for pres anyway? Hydra's used to be a lot stronger, sure but you could always tweak that. How many builds later and people still complain about the free Hydras?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Oh no.. not this again.. lol
    Yes, they need tweaking. No, being free is not the issue.

Keep giving helpful suggestions based around keeping them free! <b>Your feedback is what changes this game.</b> (If this patch wasn't any indication to you already..)
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Of course them being free is the problem. And it's not a superficial problem that can be fixed by tweaking some variables, it's a fundamental problem in a resource based strategy game to have free spammable buildings.

The solution is to make them cost pres again, and like Wheeee said it doesn't need to be 10 pres, 5 or even 4 would already be good.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited July 2012
    I have a helpful suggestion based around keeping hydras free.
    Don't
    This is a resource model based game..
    So free anything, even air, does not fit. the end, thank you, good bye, etc etc etc.
    Another one, its impossible to balance for both teams without making them entirely useless.
    In reply to above post.
    10 res hydras was the middle ground
    5 res is way too cheap
    15-20 is the 'extreme' land.
    Where you would have 5 res hydras being useless, 10 being ok, and 15-20 being extremely useful.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1954213:date=Jul 27 2012, 02:23 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Jul 27 2012, 02:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954213"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh no.. not this again.. lol
    Yes, they need tweaking. No, being free is not the issue.

Keep giving helpful suggestions based around keeping them free! <b>Your feedback is what changes this game.</b> (If this patch wasn't any indication to you already..)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If them being free is not the problem, why have we still not seen a proper fix that keeps them free AND solves the problem of their recyclability/spammability?

While attaching a cost to them would not be the only way to fix the current issues, it's by far the easiest and most straight forward one. I somehow find it hard to believe UWE will properly address this before release day, and keeping them in their current state is kind of unacceptable tbh.
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    I am only agreed with minesbuff. Dont increase the dmg. Just say "skulk run into mine= instantdeath" . Thats what they designed for :>
  • KisleKisle Join Date: 2006-12-25 Member: 59229Members
    I actually like the "free" hyrdas.
    and they arent free. u need 10 resource to gorge.

in Early game, this are 10 res father away from fade or onos. which is quite an noticeable amount.

And as soon as Gl´s are out. hydras are just useless, and not only hydras.
    gorges are useless then, cant even heal an onos rushing the base because one Grenade launcher will
    easily kill the little gorgi.
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1954221:date=Jul 27 2012, 11:09 AM:name=AuroN2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AuroN2 @ Jul 27 2012, 11:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954221"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have a helpful suggestion based around keeping hydras free.
    Don't
    This is a resource model based game..
    So free anything, even air, does not fit. the end, thank you, good bye, etc etc etc.
    Another one, its impossible to balance for both teams without making them entirely useless.
    In reply to above post.
    10 res hydras was the middle ground
    5 res is way too cheap
    15-20 is the 'extreme' land.
    Where you would have 5 res hydras being useless, 10 being ok, and 15-20 being extremely useful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This. +1
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1954285:date=Jul 27 2012, 12:01 PM:name=Kisle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kisle @ Jul 27 2012, 12:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954285"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I actually like the "free" hyrdas.
    and they arent free. u need 10 resource to gorge.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You are saying that when you pay 10 pres for a gorge a part of these 10 pres is used to pay the hydras, and therefore they are not free.

In this perspective, we need to compared two solutions:

1) The cost of hydras is included into the gorge cost or
    2) the cost of hydras is not included into the gorge cost, but you need to pay pres for each hydra (for example gorge cost 7 pres and each hydra cost one pres).

In comparison, solution 1) is poor. It forces you to buy three hydras and to build them (“you have to drop your 3 hydras since you already payed for them”) and effectively introduce a tying sale mechanism (“can’t buy a gorge without the hydras”). It reduces the number of possible choices, reducing strategic depth, for example you can't go gorge to heal a hive and then take the decision to buy hydras because you were forced to buy them.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    how about this, hydras cost 5 p-res, but gorges can eat their hydras to regain the 5 p-res. this would introduce some thinking to where you place your hydras; right now it's just a spam fest.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1954234:date=Jul 27 2012, 02:33 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Jul 27 2012, 02:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954234"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If them being free is not the problem, why have we still not seen a proper fix that keeps them free AND solves the problem of their recyclability/spammability?

While attaching a cost to them would not be the only way to fix the current issues, it's by far the easiest and most straight forward one. I somehow find it hard to believe UWE will properly address this before release day, and keeping them in their current state is kind of unacceptable tbh.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Simple, really, because no one has given feedback on it.
    Charlie said it still needed adjustments way back when it was first made like this..and it did and still does. But nothing has been changed because no one speaks up or gives feedback on the issue unless its the occasional "revert it". And let me remind you how many things in this game people said the same thing but we found ways to make it work.. cysts being the biggest example.

Hence, me asking for proper feedback. But if your only feedback is "revert it".. thanks, taken into account, but you're not even trying if thats the case :-/
    <b>This topic has been beaten to death. We REALLY dont need another one if there aren't any useful feedback coming from it.</b>

This is a resource game - but fade swipe and skulk bite dont cost pres, so neither do hydras. I know you dislike this answer and you want to call them defensive buildings.. but were all just gonna have to move on from this point with the understanding that they are usable weapons as the <b>gorge steps away from the old commander role of ns1.</b>

<i>So, with that being said, can this thread be helpful in any form? I'd really love it to..

</i>Here i'll start:
    My idea: Have hydras scale. Start with one. After X factor, be it time, or amount of healing etc, you earn another. I'm okay with the concept of incremental hydras that costing pres brought, just not the costing pres part.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    Dont understand how free hydras will ever be balanced... They basically need to be pretty bad to compensate, since you can just indefinately place hydras and heal them, completely denying a room... Ive seen public games where 2 or 3 gorges can literally block of 3/4s of the map from the marines, and you have no valid counter to them besides gls (which just makes you skulk bait). Make hydras have about 1000 effective HP when matured, make them cost 8 pres, and persist. Honestly those are simply enough changes that I think they are worth a try. They are already pretty accurate and do enough damage to be more effective than they should be for 0 pres. Having them persist for a res cost forces you to use them more intelligently, and be less careless with them. It also allows for good placement to have longer term effects, as even lategame a couple hydras in good positions around a hive can make JP pushes much easier to counter.

Not sure how hydras can be compared to bite/swipe, they are defensive structures... They are quite similar in function to mines in that regard, which do cost pres... The reason the argument is always to make them have a cost and persist is because no one generally wants to play a gorge all game, its generally a boring role.
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1954306:date=Jul 27 2012, 10:15 AM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Jul 27 2012, 10:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dont understand how free hydras will ever be balanced... They basically need to be pretty bad to compensate, since you can just indefinately place hydras and heal them, completely denying a room... Ive seen public games where 2 or 3 gorges can literally block of 3/4s of the map from the marines, and you have no valid counter to them besides gls (which just makes you skulk bait). Make hydras have about 1000 effective HP when matured, make them cost 8 pres, and persist. Honestly those are simply enough changes that I think they are worth a try. They are already pretty accurate and do enough damage to be more effective than they should be for 0 pres. Having them persist for a res cost forces you to use them more intelligently, and be less careless with them. It also allows for good placement to have longer term effects, as even lategame a couple hydras in good positions around a hive can make JP pushes much easier to counter.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+ 1 Free hydra's need to go. Thanks
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't feel strongly about free hydras one way or the other. As long as they start with very low health until they finish building I don't see there being anything fundamentally wrong with it. I like that you can be useful as a Gorge for the 10 res cost without blowing all your resources on it. I still think it's a problem that there's no incentive to perma-Gorge because you can't spend any of your money except by going Fade/Onos, but that's a different issue.
    Something that has not really been discussed is how tres medpacks/ammo support works against free hydras, is it cost efficient to fight free hydras with tres ?

- As a comm should you should drop mepacks to marines fighting hydras, knowing that they can be redropped for no cost later ?

- As a marine should you ignore/avoid the hydras as much as possible ?
  • OscarTheCouchOscarTheCouch Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1954303:date=Jul 27 2012, 08:05 AM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Jul 27 2012, 08:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954303"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how about this, hydras cost 5 p-res, but gorges can eat their hydras to regain the 5 p-res. this would introduce some thinking to where you place your hydras; right now it's just a spam fest.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
  • cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1954305:date=Jul 27 2012, 08:14 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Jul 27 2012, 08:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954305"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Simple, really, because no one has given feedback on it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What do you mean? No one has given feedback on the topic of free hydras? Because that is simply not true. There were several threads about it with no dev feedback or any resulting changes.
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Having gorges be able to drop hydras <u>instantly</u> for <u>free</u>, then <u>building</u> them <u>AND healing</u> them at the same time just becomes IMBA as sh*t with 2+ gorges working together! There's no tradeoff - <u>design doc</u> again!

I think the majority (90+%) are not for free hydras and that the proponents can be counted on one hand. Just make a poll like with minimap.
    And the reasons for why it's free I've heard so far are:
    - Boring for (new) players to wait for res before building the next hydra. Sounds like catering to console-itis sufferers.
    - NS2 should be a game where players play against players and not against AI.
    - (kinda hidden agenda behind the previous two) Performance is slowed down when players spam hydras in long games.
    - Engineer in TF2 works so well, which undoubtedly implies it works perfectly in the resource based NS2, afterall both have "2":s in them, my logic is infallable! ...or something in those lines, no, seriously I have no idea about the reasoning behind this one.

#1 Let's not wait for ANYTHING in a <u>resource game</u>! Set resources to 1000 for all players/teams and lets see which team runs out first and is unable to fight more. (which I admit can be a valid game-mode)

#2 Strategy games have always had defensive buildings. Besides, who said destroying the other teams buildings (removing the alien infestation) isn't fun gameplay??? Personally, I find slowly fighting through "infestation" and retaking territory with ARCs/GLs, playing as a team, a big and satisfying part of NS!

#3 In those long games the com spams buildings (cysts, whips, shades, crags, shifts, upg structures and their "backups") anyways! Better make the game and server able to handle a game properly to begin with, the GldSrc from 1998 does it perfectly fine for NS1!

<!--quoteo(post=1954325:date=Jul 27 2012, 04:24 PM:name=crypt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crypt @ Jul 27 2012, 04:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954325"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1954305:date=Jul 27 2012, 03:14 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Jul 27 2012, 03:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954305"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Simple, really, because no one has given feedback on it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What do you mean? No one has given feedback on the topic of free hydras? Because that is simply not true. There were several threads about it with no dev feedback or any resulting changes.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    WOOTLULZROFLMAO
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1954325:date=Jul 27 2012, 07:24 AM:name=crypt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crypt @ Jul 27 2012, 07:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954325"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What do you mean? No one has given feedback on the topic of free hydras? Because that is simply not true. There were several threads about it with no dev feedback or any resulting changes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Like I said, the only feedback since Charlie said they were here to stay in that Q n A video has been to revert it.
    I have seen zero feedback on any adjustments or changes within keeping this design.

I'm not trying to be inflammatory I just would hope that the community would be more helpful and cooperative in this area, I don't see any attempt here, just the same ol revert it suggestion that comes from a lack of a solution or idea that of course is to be expected when a major change like that occurs. Shrug.

Case in point: I'm still the only one who provided a single example or idea in this thread thus far, and I merely gave it half a second's worth of thought.. And the post above mine just highlights this more...
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1954344:date=Jul 27 2012, 10:30 AM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Jul 27 2012, 10:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954344"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Like I said, the only feedback since Charlie said they were here to stay in that Q n A video has been to revert it.
    I have seen zero feedback on any adjustments or changes within keeping this design.

I'm not trying to be inflammatory I just would hope that the community would be more helpful and cooperative in this area, I don't see any attempt here, just the same ol revert it suggestion that comes from a lack of a solution or idea that of course is to be expected when a major change like that occurs. Shrug.

Case in point: I'm still the only one who provided a single example or idea in this thread thus far, and I merely gave it half a second's worth of thought.. And the post above mine just highlights this more...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Here are a couple threads w/ ideas that don't involve removing free hydras.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119451" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=119451</a>
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119112" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=119112</a>

There are more ideas but their scattered about in many odds threads. Maybe we need one "Official" thread dedicated to this idea?
    edited July 2012
    Awesome, minihowie!! Thanks, checking these now.
    I guess I should visit the I & S threads more..

Edit: I agree. Ask crypt again to consolidate said ideas? The nano spam thread worked perfectly and everyone's idea was presented to Charlie to read and consider.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    And another;
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=118422" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=118422</a>
    I like that last one the most, focus mod.
    Only thing I'd change: make gorges start with two hydras since they are permanent. Otherwise you end up with everyone going gorge, dropping three hydras each, then going back to skulk etc. ( that's potentially 45 hydras on a starting map for those keeping track..)

Maybe even starting with only one, and then scaling it with some other factor still if they are gonna be permanent.. So it's 15 hydras max , not a very rewarding tactic. Is time really a bad idea to scale with? I know it not too creative but... Maybe it can be researched by the alien comm?
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1954344:date=Jul 27 2012, 03:30 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Jul 27 2012, 03:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954344"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not trying to be inflammatory I just would hope that the community would be more helpful and cooperative in this area, I don't see any attempt here, just the same ol revert it suggestion that comes from a lack of a solution or idea that of course is to be expected when a major change like that occurs. Shrug.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're just begging the question, if you put yourself in the position of someone who think that hydra costing pres is a good thing, you'll see from this perspective that proposing to make hydra costing pres is a constructive and helpful suggestion, and that defending free hydra is actually being not cooperative.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Begging the question (Latin petitio principii, "assuming the initial point") is a type of logical fallacy in which a proposition relies on an implicit premise within itself to establish the truth of that same proposition. In other words, it is a statement that refers to its own assertion to prove the assertion. Such arguments are essentially of the form "a is true because a is true" though rarely is such an argument stated as such. Often the premise 'a' is only one of many premises that go into proving that 'a' is true as a conclusion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question</a>

Otherwise I'm sure free hydras could work if their were transformed into real abilities (meaning needing the constant player interaction to work) instead of AI structures, but it seems rather useless to propose anything more than simple number tweaks that late into the beta. Edit: well they could copy/paste Biscum mod.
  • cryptcrypt Join Date: 2004-04-22 Member: 28091Members, Constellation
    Here are 2 more:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=119292&st=0" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...119292&st=0</a> (about the gorge in general)
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=118848&st=0" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...118848&st=0</a> (about free hydras)

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ask crypt again to consolidate said ideas?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hey, I'm not the playtesters pawn :p

Thing is, I'll gladly help, but I feel it's a complex issue. It's not just the hydras, it's the gorge as a whole who seems to be lacking atm. I can try to write something up, but maybe not just compiling ideas, but also outlining current problems. Community seems really divided about the free or not idea.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    Only thing I'm not set on is whether I'd rather see weakish hydras for 5 pres or better, more substantial hydras for 8-10 pres.

I don't see clogs being free as an issue though honestly.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I posted some pretty valid points i thought, guess my opinions on this are meaningless since it centers around a pres cost again...

Regardless it just shows the issue that I had brought up some time ago regarding feedback in general in this format, and why its a waste of time.

And that stupid pug lags my computer, plz leave dog.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    Even though I think in general more expensive, more HP is better. Still think we have to contend with the issue that it's just not an OC; the art asset implies it really shouldn't have much HP at all and it's placeable anywhere. That's why I dunno which would work the best.