Armory Banking

CorpseyCorpsey Join Date: 2011-07-02 Member: 107538Members
This was in some server mods in NS1... basically if a weapon was dropped near (I think in the mods it was the arms lab.. but to make it more obvious..) <i>the armory</i> the gun/armor piece (armor pieces like Jetpack got stored to Proto lab in the mod) would get stored to the armory so that the other marines could essentially use the armory and buy a new weapon but instead of it coming from the team's T.Res (in NS2's case, P.Res) if there was one in storage already you would just be able to obtain the weapon/armor at the cost of your commander or teammates expense - essentially funded by the commander and teammates, like if the commander dropped an HMG/GL and someone was already using a shotgun, the shotgun would be stored in the banks for later use by whoever felt like wielding a shotgun.

Also, when you die near an armory instead of fearing your weapon will get timed out, it gets sent to the armory so you are able to go pick it back up at any time (this is within a radius, so that if a weapon is dropped outside a hive location for instance, and there are no armories around, the weapon still gets lost)

Just thinking back to NS1.. there were a lot of times where newcomers would not get a welder for whatever reason (I guess because you had to command to drop them.. meh).. If they see that it will cost them nothing (if some teammates share some to the storage) They may carry them with them more often and use them, which will be needed in the future for things like repairing the power nodes.

The way I could see this working is by just having "Stored weapons" UI under the buying menu.. so you can buy, store and obtain stored weapons all in the same UI.

Comments

• RiseRise Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150595Members
    I like that idea because marines don't always see weapons you drop for them, and you don't want them to disappear if they go unused.
  • DimeinurearDimeinurear Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72955Members
    I always liked this, though it was basically just the armory that we have now.

Though it may not be entirely practical.

If you think about it, most marines are going to die away from base, so it wouldn't give a huge benefit. But still, it would be nice for the commander to be able to use some P. Res he's not using to give his teammates weapons, and not fear that they may disappear or go unnoticed.

No reason not to have it, as long as it won't pick up weapons that a marine dropped at the front.
  • OscarTheCouchOscarTheCouch Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34647Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think if the commander drops an item it stays there forever, but if a marine drops a weapon it will time out. Correct me if im wrong.
  • CorpseyCorpsey Join Date: 2011-07-02 Member: 107538Members
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    I think it should work both ways.

Weapons dropped in powered areas by both marines and comm, should be absorbed back into the nano grid.

Weapons dropped on infestation should be absorbed into the infestation.

off topic:
    also what ever happened to the gorge crouching to absorb damage? the animation is still there right?