Jetpacks

FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited July 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">can fly too laong and have too much control</div>I played now alot of round in this build and I need to say that JP are really over the top! They can fly for ages and turn in any direction in 0.0001s. The Jetpack is to OP for a 10 Pres unite
and combine it with flamers and the Aliens do not have a chance to counter it. The Jetpack needs really a nerf in Flytime and movement, it cant be that 2 lerks, 1 Skulk and a Fade cant reach a JP just because it can change his direction without any speed lost, and if the JP has a flamer he can kill the whole cysts chaine in less than 30s. The marines needed a buff but the JP is just over the top! If the Marine get the JP in early to mid game aliens can not do anything against it, he is just to unpredictable and waiting for a JP that the runs out of fuel is just a luck thing. It isn't fun to play against 2-3 Jp as Aliens at all. There is no counter to it, Onos has no chance against a Jp same for Skulks and Gorge, even the Fades and Lerk can have some big problems especially if he carries a flamer. He needs a way less longer fuel gauge or if he carries a heavier weapons a massive redcuton in fuel cont.

I tried several times to kill a flying Jp but with 3 leaps and a super controlabel JP the Aliens have 90% of the time no chance to counter it at all. Atleast it needs to be more expensive. A SG costs 2.5 times more than a JP but hasn't the same effect like a JP has. 10 Pres to be almost unkillable is just bad....

Played many games wehere the JP desided a game even if the Aliens had 4 Hives but could not manage to kill 1Jp because they could change the direction in no time and could stay in air for ages.

The JP need to be adressed for the next patch. the move to a 2 Cc request was Ok but not enough, IMO. The EXO should be a game breaker but not such a cheap gear!

Comments

• countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    We need Focus and more momentum gain with blink :)
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1953502:date=Jul 24 2012, 04:13 PM:name=countbasie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (countbasie @ Jul 24 2012, 04:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953502"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We need Focus and more momentum gain with blink :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Doesn't change that the jetpack is just a too powerful upgrade for only a few pres. Even making it expensiver won't change it much. It just doesn't make sense to run around anymore.
    AFAIK UWE wants the aliens to use all alien lifeforms in lategame, and i believe it should be the same for the marines. The jetpack has currently the same problem the old GL had, it just didn't make sense not to get the GL upgrade if you did have the pres to buy it. It would help you in any situation without a tradeoff. Same goes for the jetpack currently and has to change in my eyes.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1953512:date=Jul 25 2012, 12:55 AM:name=Nakorson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nakorson @ Jul 25 2012, 12:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953512"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Doesn't change that the jetpack is just a too powerful upgrade for only a few pres. Even making it expensiver won't change it much. It just doesn't make sense to run around anymore.
    AFAIK UWE wants the aliens to use all alien lifeforms in lategame, and i believe it should be the same for the marines. The jetpack has currently the same problem the old GL had, it just didn't make sense not to get the GL upgrade if you did have the pres to buy it. It would help you in any situation without a tradeoff. Same goes for the jetpack currently and has to change in my eyes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is right, almost everything has a tradeoff but such a "cheap" unit doesn't have. Shall I take a SG/Flamer/Gl or a JP. In 100% you will deside for the JP. Depending on the map and with the support of the com you can solo a Hive by just JPing from side to side while picking up ammo or meds.

Focus may help but you still need to hit the marine if you are lucky enough to hit a "good" JPer.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I think JPs can still be way too good in open rooms. I kind of want web to come back in some form so that Hives like generator or cave are not so incredibly susceptible (solo-able) to 1 or 2 JPs (let alone JP rushes). Only allow webs on infestation, probably even a hardcap on them like everything else on the gorge. I don't think taking away JP air control is a good solution tho.. but then, they did have several JP upgrades that were never put into the game, dunno what happened to that.

They are not so bad in smaller rooms/corridors though.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    Dunno about you, but I kill them easily with adrenaline and leap. Or poison bite and spikes. Its embarrassing how poor most marines are against these basic lifeforms. However the JP does extend their life several times over, in which they can do considerable hive damage. Hive out of the equation I don't have an issue with them.

I do agree jetpacks need a trade-off though. I am fine with their price, but they need an armour penalty or similar to make them situational.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think they are perfect the way they are as of where the game stands at the moment.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1953517:date=Jul 24 2012, 07:16 PM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Jul 24 2012, 07:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953517"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I do agree jetpacks need a trade-off though. I am fine with their price, but they need an armour penalty or similar to make them situational.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

when the exosuit is in the game, the penalty will be that you're on a high tech marine team and you spent res to have a jetpack instead of an exosuit (in ns1: jetpack instead of heavy), so the potential armor is lost in favour of the jetpack ability

it should be possible to balance the item in that context, without adding new negative attributes and overcomplicating it (if you're not sure how, check out ns1 where it's fine)
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1953524:date=Jul 25 2012, 01:25 AM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Jul 25 2012, 01:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953524"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->when the exosuit is in the game, the penalty will be that you're on a high tech marine team and you spent res to have a jetpack instead of an exosuit (in ns1: jetpack instead of heavy), so the potential armor is lost in favour of the jetpack ability

it should be possible to balance the item in that context, without adding new negative attributes and overcomplicating it (if you're not sure how, check out ns1 where it's fine)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

JP or EXO, well better get the JP and fly around with a flame to deny even regen Skulks. As EXO you are on the ground and may be fresh meat for stomping Onoses while the JP chuckles at any Alien.

@Ellnic
    I talk about goid players and not the average PUB player that flys straight lines. The JP can even catch up a fleeing Skulk or Fade with no problem, and adre is almost usless agains a Flamer JP, you have 3 leaps to kill a 4 bite (even 8 with nano) marine.
  • blujayblujay Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154277Members
    Don't worry, people will stop using them when they get exo-suits.
  • zombiehellmonkeyzombiehellmonkey Join Date: 2007-08-31 Member: 62093Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1953515:date=Jul 24 2012, 07:14 PM:name=rantology)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rantology @ Jul 24 2012, 07:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953515"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I kind of want web to come back in some form so that Hives like generator or cave are not so incredibly susceptible (solo-able) to 1 or 2 JPs (let alone JP rushes). Only allow webs on infestation, probably even a hardcap on them like everything else on the gorge.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^ This.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like the idea that you can use a flamethrower or a jetpack, but not both. I also like webs.
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    I agree that theyre a little bit too cheap, but not too fast. If anything they are quite weak outside the huge rooms in some maps. Also we have even floatier and slower leap/skulk than before, and fade blink still isnt that great + cant even shadowstep in air anymore. Armory repairs armor so fast that it negates what used to be the jetpacks weakest moment. Lack of focus + nanoshield = 8 hits to kill a marine. The tradeoff with jp is that you dont get a huge armor bonus and cant even wield the bigger guns.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited July 2012
    commander webs ftw.

you're welcome :P

edit:
    I actually think that jetpacks aren't very fun right now, they should either better at long distance travel(going forwards more easily, but slower to dodge) - or at quick maneverability(basically jumping high instantly but exhausting). right now they aren't good at either.

perhaps two modes for the jetpack, a cruise mode, and a combat mode. that you can change between. also hover would be cool.
  • Locke504Locke504 Join Date: 2010-04-23 Member: 71511Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited July 2012
    JP's are annoying, but far from a win all for marines. Lerks, fades and skulks all rape JPs in tight spaces. Lerks and fades own them anywhere.

Also, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing webs come back as long as they aren't as spamable as every other alien static defense.

Maybe limit them in location or by number like other gorge buildings.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1953534:date=Jul 25 2012, 01:32 AM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Jul 25 2012, 01:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953534"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->JP or EXO, well better get the JP and fly around with a flame to deny even regen Skulks. As EXO you are on the ground and may be fresh meat for stomping Onoses while the JP chuckles at any Alien.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Exo does get heavier weapons, mind.
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1953611:date=Jul 25 2012, 06:37 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Jul 25 2012, 06:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953611"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Exo does get heavier weapons, mind.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes but they aren't needed at the moment, you can like already said by someone else easily kill a hive solo as a jetpacker with a bit of support from the commander. With more than 1 player it becomes at lot easier.

Why risk being killed as a exo when you can a jetpack which is cheap and has no trade offs.
  • VoodooHexVoodooHex Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153264Members
    I personally feel that jetpacks are fine. If the alien team allowed marines to get to the point of having them then they should have a tough time beating the marines back.
    <!--quoteo(post=1953617:date=Jul 25 2012, 07:27 AM:name=VoodooHex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VoodooHex @ Jul 25 2012, 07:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953617"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I personally feel that jetpacks are fine. If the alien team allowed marines to get to the point of having them then they should have a tough time beating the marines back.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't agree with you because it can be mostly compared to if the aliens would get lerk/fade for 10res as soon as they have 2 hives.
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1953618:date=Jul 25 2012, 05:28 AM:name=Nakorson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nakorson @ Jul 25 2012, 05:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953618"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't agree with you because it can be mostly compared to if the aliens would get lerk/fade for 10res as soon as they have 2 hives.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have played many of games where marines have gotten jp's , but we still took out their second cc and pushed them back for the win. Heck I've won games where we took out all 3 of the marine cc's. It's all about which team employs the best strategy.

Again, if you deny the marines their second cc, aliens will win. That's just the nature of the alien's aggressive expansion.

If the alien team is spread out doing their own thing and not coordinating then they deserve to get roflstomped by the rines.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I think Skulks are great against JP's, considering they're free. The problem with Lerks is, while bite+spikes is awesome against JP's, when they turn their attention to you you're done for, son. One shot from a level 3 shotty, boom.

I think JP's would be fine if I would have the framerate for it - I simply cannot hit JP's with a Fade, since by the time marines have JP's it's already late-game and the map is filled with stuff, add a Lerk gassing and it's like having blink delay all over again. If framerate improves tho I think Fades will do quick work outta JP's. :p
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Jetpack should cost 15-20 pres, other than that no changes should be made to it... NS2 does not need more control removing abilities like web.. Fade blink needs more speed and skulk leap could use some adjustments still, but honestly I think the thing that will help the most is lower interpolation settings and higher tickrate/updates per second to smooth out movement, but even at this point the jetpack is not overpowered.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    They definitely need to go up in cost a little. 15 P.res from 10 should be about right. In addition, alien lifeforms should not immediately lose their second tier abilities (leap, blink, spikes) when the second hive goes down. (Only new lifeforms should not have the abilities) Without these abilities it becomes impossible to counter jetpacks, so a quick marine rush to kill the second hive with JPs is almost always going to be a GG. (Since it's not always possible to prevent that hive from going down, certainly not against jetpackers who are med and nanospammed by the comm)
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    I only know that a JP in NS1 was a lot easier to kill with every lifeform. Incl an Onos! Damn, i want Devour back. Was so funny to grab a JP from the air.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Onos feel completely useless when jetpacks are in the game. This wasn't entirely the case in NS 1 indeed. Doesn't help that they're so terribly slow. Heck, I suppose one could say onos are more or less entirely useless at the moment anyway. Overnerfed much.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1953656:date=Jul 25 2012, 12:01 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Jul 25 2012, 12:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953656"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Onos feel completely useless when jetpacks are in the game. This wasn't entirely the case in NS 1 indeed. Doesn't help that they're so terribly slow. Heck, I suppose one could say onos are more or less entirely useless at the moment anyway. Overnerfed much.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Onos is now just a meatshield for the adren-bilebomb gorge who used to heal him.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2012
    I think jetpacks are in a decent place on regards of movement and amount of fuel.
    Though I would like to see a PRes cost increase, and a TINY fuel regen nerf(take longer to begin regen).
    Web would give aliens some form of counter for jetpacks, but it should only disable the jetpack, not the weapon imo.
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1953656:date=Jul 25 2012, 09:01 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Jul 25 2012, 09:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953656"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Onos feel completely useless when jetpacks are in the game. This wasn't entirely the case in NS 1 indeed. Doesn't help that they're so terribly slow. Heck, I suppose one could say onos are more or less entirely useless at the moment anyway. Overnerfed much.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We can solve this by giving the Onos projectile vortexes. Or maybe a one time use stomp like effect that creates a giant vortex wall that captures any rines who run or fly into it.
  • SlamHanniganSlamHannigan Join Date: 2012-07-06 Member: 153952Members
    I think hit reg needs to be fixed first before anything about JP balancing comes into consideration. Once hit detection works as intended, I guarantee late-game skulks/fades/lerks versus JPs will play a LOT differently, and will require different discussion.
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    @ OP

You are wrong.
    <!--quoteo(post=1953705:date=Jul 25 2012, 04:27 PM:name=.ADHd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (.ADHd @ Jul 25 2012, 04:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953705"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->@ OP

You are wrong.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Claiming that somebody is wrong without arguments? I love that ....