Competitive play spectating

elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">Survey</div>So, if NS2 is aiming to gain sizable traction in popularity and exposure the following two conditions need to be present.
1) The game is fun to play for the active player
2) The game is fun to spectate

I wanted to try and focus on the second point and hear what you guys all thought of <b>spectating</b> competitive games currently! It might be a bit too early to do something like this, but i figure it would be constructive to start considering this angle with NS2 1.0 being relatively close.
<b>Do you enjoy spectating competitive games? why or why not?</b>

To try and give this some form, here are some general reasons off the top of my head why you may or may not like spectating. You'll probably have reasons i havn't thought of.
<i>-Length of games
-Too much or too little attrition like gameflow
-Map sizes
-Too much or too little consequence of action and strategic depth
-Coherency of each team's chosen strategy/tactic or coherency of gameflow.
-Outcomes too predictable or not predictable enough
-Balance
-Current skill levels too low/high or skill ceiling too low/high
-Feature incomplete
-Lack of first person perspective</i>

Comments

• Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    I think it would be interesting, but I would not want to burden the server by spectating if that was a factor.
    I enjoy watching the NS2HD streams, I think that's just a matter of getting things figured out more smoothly. Obviously the main camera can't be everywhere at once. I don't think I would do any better at getting where I would want to be than Hugh is doing.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    Biggest problem with first person spectate in NS2, is even if it was working perfectly... what do you want to spectate?

Just one of the random skulks, lmg'ers pressuring a node, etc...

There's no "key" player or important player to spectate at any point. It's extremely situational whether you would want to first person spec the last player defending / pressuring an RT or maybe the first lerk or last fade. But that's really the only sort of scenario where you really want to spectate someone first person.

The other issue is that top down view is just plain and simply... boring. It's not enjoyable to watch at all, except to get an idea of what's going on and see ambushes from a more telling angle.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I wouldn't mind first-person spectating the comm. It'd be a great way to see how other people comm in NS2.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Maybe if there was a way to snap to pre-defined camera angles in each room for combat..
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I like the current spectating, I find the streams really fun to watch.. if anything I would say the biggest thing that's missing is.. better casters and cameramen ;P (well, and more than 4 competitive teams would really help obviously but that has little to do with OP)

after that:
    -1st person spec would be nice to have
    -as locklear said maybe a pre-set position in rooms that a camera snaps to when you go into freelook mode, so that it doesn't clip into an awkward position in a wall somewhere and then you gotta spend a few seconds clipping through more stuff to find a decent angle
    -a way to seamlessly switch through the view modes, or at least make transitioning much smoother
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I enjoy watching a good competitive live stream. I have spectated some of the public games and that was pretty boring.
  • TaneTane Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32441Members, Constellation
    I watch football because of Lionel Messi, I'm sure people also like to watch the best players in video games. Unfortunately NS2 doesn't really allow artistic individual playing which is required for competitive game. One man can't make as much difference as in NS1 because movement is way too sluggish and doesn’t really reward creativity. In NS1 the very best players could do something totally unthinkable like Messi in football and that is the soul of spectating in my opinion.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1953394:date=Jul 24 2012, 11:10 AM:name=Tane)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tane @ Jul 24 2012, 11:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953394"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I watch football because of Lionel Messi, I'm sure people also like to watch the best players in video games. Unfortunately NS2 doesn't really allow artistic individual playing which is required for competitive game. One man can't make as much difference as in NS1 because movement is way too sluggish and doesn’t really reward creativity. In NS1 the very best players could do something totally unthinkable like Messi in football and that is the soul of spectating in my opinion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I do think the individual impact is a huge thing, but the little and less significant details play a huge role also.

For example I remember when I first time saw Tuplis fading, I was absolutely awestruck by the little nudges, ducking moves and curves he did. While he certainly did also frag a lot, it was equally much the little twists and nudges that played a huge role in creating the feel that you're watching a top level player that knows fade inside out.

The same goes for Brood War. At some point you could pretty much tell it was Jaedong playing by the way the zerg microed his hydralisks while shooting a factory hovering around the outskirts of zerg base. There's just some magic in watching someone pulling off every little finesse and trickery to gain advantage.
  • hamham Join Date: 2011-08-31 Member: 119370Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1953273:date=Jul 23 2012, 11:26 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Jul 23 2012, 11:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953273"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So, if NS2 is aiming to gain sizable traction in popularity and exposure the following two conditions need to be present.
    1) The game is fun to play for the active player
    2) The game is fun to spectate

I wanted to try and focus on the second point and hear what you guys all thought of <b>spectating</b> competitive games currently! It might be a bit too early to do something like this, but i figure it would be constructive to start considering this angle with NS2 1.0 being relatively close.
    <b>Do you enjoy spectating competitive games? why or why not?</b>

To try and give this some form, here are some general reasons off the top of my head why you may or may not like spectating. You'll probably have reasons i havn't thought of.
    <i>-Length of games
    -Too much or too little attrition like gameflow
    -Map sizes
    -Too much or too little consequence of action and strategic depth
    -Coherency of each team's chosen strategy/tactic or coherency of gameflow.
    -Outcomes too predictable or not predictable enough
    -Balance
    -Current skill levels too low/high or skill ceiling too low/high
    -Feature incomplete
    -Lack of first person perspective</i><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

All games are inherently competitive, there's a winner and a loser, there's no point in making a distinction there. Like many people, I'm a fan of professional sports teams and enjoy watching top-level play. I'm not so enthralled watching high-school or even a lot of college level play in some sports, because regardless of how exciting the game may be, the players aren't.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1953478:date=Jul 25 2012, 06:04 AM:name=hampton)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hampton @ Jul 25 2012, 06:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953478"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All games are inherently competitive, there's a winner and a loser, there's no point in making a distinction there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sure, but obviously this in the context of organized competitive play where players are trying to min/max with fair and predetermined rulesets. e.g. 6 v 6, no subs etc. Pub game spectating is a bit irrelevant.

It looks like spectating might not be so fun due to low current skill levels and low skill ceilings then. I do agree..
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well personally i have to agree with eh, there is no specific player to watch, its highly situational who is going to be the one that is in the position to get big kills.. Its not like you have a single shotgun on a team where your going to watch the shotgunner, or the flash fade/lerk. I do think that there will be certain players that can seperate themselves with higher levels of play, but in NS2 that is pretty restricted.

I think CS suffers from this somewhat too, however you generally have people filling slightly different roles, plus with how the dynamic of the maps play out there is generally always a best player to spectate, plus you can just default to spectating the carry player or awper, cant really go wrong spectating players like delpan.

Spectating the game as an RTS can be somewhat interesting, but honestly games play out very similarly you will rarely see suprising tatics or choices at higher level.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    it would be more fun if we could hear the voice chat
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1953673:date=Jul 25 2012, 08:55 PM:name=PersianImm0rtal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PersianImm0rtal @ Jul 25 2012, 08:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953673"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it would be more fun if we could hear the voice chat<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't believe (m)any teams use ingame voice.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    Or that many teams would want to be heard using teamspeak, mumble, etc...
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    All problems find their way back to balance issues. Like for your question/survey about spectating, I would say that the out comes are too predictable. Those out comes are mostly predictable because the game is not balanced.
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
  • paellapaella Join Date: 2007-03-23 Member: 60463Members, Constellation
    edited September 2012
    First person spectating is <i>really</i> important, not just for competitive play but also so server admins can spectate for aimbots when those are released.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Even in NS1 it was situational, but people loved watching the higher tier players play against eachother. For example when exigent would be playing against terror, you'd have a bunch of players watching PainUser, Nadagast, Mustang. People always end up watching the players they believe are the best. People enjoy watching a person play and seeing how they move around a map and the things they pay attention too.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Spectating the pros is a great way to pick up tip and tricks, so even if you normaly dosnt follow eSports in general, it could be watched a educational tool.