Fixing the medspam/accidental click issue

TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
Problem: when attempting medspam, comms sometimes get screwed up by clicking without a medpack selected, resulting in them selecting a marine.

Current solution: .5 second delay where after dropping a medpack you cannot select marines.

Proposed solution: holding down the medpack key while dropping a medpack keeps the cursor in medpack mode (cannot select anything, can only drop medpacks) until you release the key. I think this would be more intuitive and less error prone than the current solution.

Comments

• fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I may be alone in saying this, but: I don't think that should be changed. It makes it more diffucult to med directly on top of a marine, and that is a good thing imo.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Would love to see this fixed. I feel missed med/ammo drops should be based on the skill of the comm, not an inherent feature of med/ammopacks.
  • botchiballbotchiball Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15810Members, Constellation
    edited July 2012
    +1 to OP. Maybe even have both -> the current solution is to help with an occasional miss-click, the proposed solution would be a preventative measure to nullify miss-clicks. tbh, I think this concept should be applied to pretty much every structure -> Clogs, Cysts, Infantry Portals, Sentries, even Power Nodes could greatly benefit from a more stream-lined and user friendly UI.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1952842:date=Jul 20 2012, 10:02 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Jul 20 2012, 10:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1952842"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I may be alone in saying this, but: I don't think that should be changed. It makes it more diffucult to med directly on top of a marine, and that is a good thing imo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Most of the time I agree with you, but difficulty should not be caused by a flawed UI.
    I proposed a few solutions after the delay was implemented.

<!--quoteo(post=1916797:date=Mar 24 2012, 01:55 AM:name=Raza.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raza. @ Mar 24 2012, 01:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916797"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are better ways to prevent that. Adding an artificial delay seems like working around the real problem.

Some suggestions:
    - The commander can drop meds and left click selection is disabled as long as the med button is being held down. Each left click drops a med pack. Once the button is released, left click selection works normal again.
    - You could make it so that pressing the med button once enters 'med mode', e.g. each left click drops a med pack without having to press the med pack button every single time. Use right click to return to the normal mode. Or switch to ammo mode by pressing the ammo button etc.
    - Make it possible to bind all 'global' commander abilities to hotkeys. Meaning I could bind meds to Q and ammo to E, so every time I hit the Q button, I drop a med pack at the cursor location.

You can also combine the last idea with the first or second one.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->