Stalker MMO

DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
<div class="IPBDescription">WHAT</div>Just caught wind of this, the beta was just released. I'm on satellite internet now, so I haven't been able to tell if its any good yet. Also word has it that its not fully translated.

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jLPxZbVy0SM"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jLPxZbVy0SM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

<a href="http://stalker-online.so/" target="_blank">http://stalker-online.so/</a>

Comments

• KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    I'm a huge fan of stalker but I was always a bit skeptical about how the format would work as an MMO. Shadows of Chernobyl was really groundbreaking for me, on par with the original Deus Ex. I was fortunate enough to play it after a number of patches had been released so I only encountered a few quest related bugs. Clear Sky was an incremental step forwards, it was a more polished game than SoC but the story was lacking and the faction system was overplayed. Call of Pripyat really stepped it up though, excellent graphics, much more satisfying story. I recommend CoP to anybody who hasn't played any of the series.

Searching the tubes turns up a bunch of 1 year old vids for the MMO and it doesn't look like much has changed. I'm pretty shocked with the 3rd person perspective, graphics and animation. I could handle that if there is compelling gameplay but from what I can tell it's standard MMO stuff, go kill 10 mutant dogs. Bleh.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    Because <game concept> + <thousands of morons> + <MMO 'features'> always means an awesome game.

No really, why the ###### do people keep acting like an MMO format is the ultimate refinement of any game?
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Because the characters and environments you loved in previous games will distract you from the many hours of mind numbing grinding.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Could have promise if it adopted a non-optional open-world PvP system and encouraged faction warfare and territorialism among players, like Eve Online. That plus fps gameplay might be worth looking at. But no, it'll probably be ######.
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Planet Side is about faction warfare, EvE is about griefing every other player in the game.
    Eve online certainly requires ruthlessness. But that works well with Stalker's lawless setting. Without something to distinguish the game, I don't see how it would compete. Setting alone can't and won't do it. SWTOR is based on one of the most popular settings in existence, and it's still struggling.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1950472:date=Jul 11 2012, 03:09 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jul 11 2012, 03:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1950472"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Could have promise if it adopted a non-optional open-world PvP system and encouraged faction warfare and territorialism among players, like Eve Online. That plus fps gameplay might be worth looking at. But no, it'll probably be ######.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Isn't that just DayZ?
    My vague, imaginary idea of it is BETTER than DayZ.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1950778:date=Jul 11 2012, 11:14 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jul 11 2012, 11:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1950778"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My vague, imaginary idea of it is BETTER than DayZ.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ahh, the old 'like <game> but better'.

Which is to say, probably the logic behind making everything in the world an MMO, because obviously it'll be like the original, only MULTIPLAYER and therefore COOLER.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Join Date: 2005-05-15 Member: 51659
    Stalker is a perfect basis for a coop game with a couple of people. But an overcrowded zone totally destroys the atmosphere. The only good way to do an MMO is making it instanced.

Still I'd prefer a simple coop mode.
    edited July 2012
    Instanced or HUGE. Eve is fortunate in that regard, because it's a whole ######load of empty space. Crafting a world that feels huge and somewhat desolate despite having thousands of players in it would be a lot of work.
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members